Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Give the guy a break - it is only a bit of harmless fun (which looks reasonably priced too).

If I had the time & inclination I would be tempted to put a Knight Rider style swishing red lights in the grille duct - it just seems made for it. And didn't KITT have a digital dashboard display the same as ours?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Resist... if I could draw anymore attention to the insight without making it gaudy, I would.. as should every owner who cares for the Insight's technology, and educating the public. I'm sorry you don't believe in the Insight like the rest of us.

1 light is something simple, and elegant... I considered the knightrider thing, but would take much more work to make visible, and anytime I've seen those I've thought it was a little 'tacky'... however, It does fit the insight, because KITT had ad digital dash, and like our ASSIST, he had turbo boost... I suppose the closest resemblance would be a CVT since KITT was an automatic.

If I could do 1 more thing to the front, it would be to do the $1000+ install of HID ballists... but I'm not much for complex installs... I just don't know enough to trust myself.... well, I want the Webasto300 sunroof too, but I don't have the luxury of making permanent mods to the insight for fear of complications down the line... only car, don't have a great career/income... etc etc.

Finally, for less that $15, and about 30minutes of your time, live a little and have some fun!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I'm with you silver streaker, and I kid you not I was about to post a message describing how I would like
a knight rider light on my car, and then backed out thinking I would sound dumb!
Imagine that coupled with the knight rider theme blaring out the stereo!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if you can mount it, and make it visible, I've taken care of any wiring questions :) The hard part is over then ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
ucffool said:
Hey Resist... if I could draw anymore attention to the insight without making it gaudy, I would.. as should every owner who cares for the Insight's technology, and educating the public. I'm sorry you don't believe in the Insight like the rest of us.
Just because he does not like your little light "mod", does not mean that he does not believe in the Insight. Don't jump to conclusions. Some people have different tastes then you do.

Now, as for the lights, I would NEVER, EVER do this to another car. But I do plan to put green neon on the underside of my Insight to accent the "spaceship" look at night. Couple this with the fact that I plan to paint it metallic space-alien green and you get a pretty good effect. Personally, I believe that the Insight is the ONLY car that could pull off neon. On any other car, it just looks plain stupid and, dare I say it, ricey.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Hummm... If what you mean by "believe in the Insight" is the high mpg/efficiency thing, isn't adding extra non-functional lighting sort of counterproductive? Agreed, it takes only a tiny bit of energy to run a neon light, but how much of a gain did it get from the carbon-fiber dipstick?

Oh, and could someone translate the "knight rider" stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Atheos - I believe Busta-Rhymes did a thumping track with Knight Rider theme as the main sample. Fantastically tacky if I could find decent flashing red lights.

PS I call my Insight 'Kitty' after Knight Rider's KITT and because of the feline headlights. How sad is that?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aaron,
I considered an underbody kit, but it's a near impossibility for the insight because it breakes some personal rules:
1) Should keep it's STOCK appearance overall
2) Permenant modifications to the insight should be neglible at best, and unnoticeable without being pointed out.
3) no Modification should effect the principle of the Insight: Higher MPG. This includes excessive draw on the power supply past the built in 'buffer', and altering the aerodynamics.

The underbody has tons of cover plates for aerodynamics, and attaching a lighting kit would be affixing it to plastic parts... not the best of ideas... not to mention that the tube itself will be visible... the 'tacky' of underbody lighting is usually because you can see the light source (aka neon tube)... I've seen a few other cars pull it off, but they did it right... there was light, but the source was not visible.

To each their own.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After 48 hours, I went outside to show a friend the neon light, and it
failed to come on. I do not know if it was the tube, or the tap splice
failed... but alas, I blame myself for it, and I can not with good
conscience retap to check if it was the tap-in splice... Since I had
prelim testing, I've already done so 3x's, and will be removing it and
wrapping the wire with electrical tape for safety and piece of mind.

I still believe it is a good method, I just think I failed to do it
well... So my $15 experiment hopefully will give a one-up for others
who wish to try something like it. Live and Learn.

If anyone has the following part spare: http://65.35.28.177:151/gathering/cutout.jpg
or can find me the part # for it (so I can order a new one), please
let me know... though my minor cutout will have NILL effect on
anything, I'd rather just return it to completely stock. You can see
it's placement on the left side of this picture:
http://65.35.28.177:151/gathering/docile.jpg

Thanks for all your help figuring this out everyone, and for those
that help with the above... I thank you in advance.

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts