Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a proud owner of Honda certified 10 Insight EX Navi for the past 2 weeks . Coming from a 96 Rav4, I can't be happier to have this baby. However the mileage is a bit of a concern for me. The 100 miles that I been driving, its on econ on all the time. Occasionally have the A/C on. Avg. speed of 65 - 70 mph. My average MPG is only 40. Is this normal for driving in LA? I do carry equipment that is about 100 - 120 lbs. Could the battery been depleted? Do I need to bring it back to the dealership for the software upgrade?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think it's about what my wife gets as an LA urban warrior. The freeways are too fast, or too stop and go. The surface streets make it hard to use fuel saving strategies. However, at only two weeks use, you have not really done your driving style relearning that is one of the things this video game pretending to be a car does well. One can get good fuel economy with these things but you have to pay attention to do so.

Also: check your tire pressures stone cold in the morning. Either at home or at a station within a mile from it. Make sure they are at the spec at least. You can go over some (up to the sidewall limit)

Also, remember the MID (display) is a guesstimate and one should measure actual fuel use by filling the tank and dividing the miles driven by the fuel used.

At 100 miles I think it's too early to draw conclusions. You haven't even finished a tank. If you are only going 100 miles every two weeks, then that indicates lots of short trips. That's make for bad MPG in any vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Egads. Wow. What a difference missing a zero makes. :-D. What imeant to write was after 1000 miles driving in 2 weeks. Within that time frame i only had to fill the tank 3 times and the 3rd one is still 3/4 way full. Prior to the purchase i never really care about mt driving habbit because I will always get roughly the same mpg. I will look into the tire pressure fira t thing in the am.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
For an aggressive driver at those speeds that sound about right for an unmodded insight. The mpg doesn't really pick up til 10 thousand miles and even the oil makes a difference in mpg.

Now it's true a bad 12 volt starter battery will cause low mpg and it's usually shown as little to no assist and mainly regening.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cobb, I didn't know that 65-70 mph is considered aggresive for insight. I should try at mellowing down on the mph. Now you said about unmodded insight. Can you direct me to the link of possible mod that i can do on this baby? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Without question my driving habit will have to change in order to reach that mpg nirvana. Thanks for the inputs.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The eco modder stuff will do. Blocking part of the grill, using sidewall psi for your tires, lowering your car, watching your use of ac/heat as both impact mpg. The biggest mod would be to add extra battery power to the hybrid battery to supplement its needs.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
With all mods but the phev I managed 48 mpg going 75 and driving like an a hole. Keeping up with traffic 50.x, same as the unmodded Prius 3 I rented.

With phev my 48 would be 54 mpg.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When we first got the car (new) we got around 40 mpg. I remember we got this on the drive up from the dealer in Huntington Beach, Ca to our apartment just North of LA). Once the engine was broken in and I got the hang of maximizing mpg, I regularly got around 49mpg in the LA area (which includes a combination of freeway and city driving with the ac on econ either on or off). The mpg is quite sensitive to conditions (hills, flat) as well as speed. There is a route that I have used many times as a game to see if I can break my mpg record. It is around 30 miles going from the Santa Clarita Valley to Pico Blvd, West LA just off the 405 freeway. The highest I have been able to achieve at an average of 60-65 mph on the 405 freeway for this route is 72mpg. Typically, I get in the low to mid 60mpgs. In the beginning I used to get just over 50mpg. So there is certainly a learning curve as to how you drive the car. For very long distances at 75 mph we have achieved 48 to 49mpg from Southern California to Southern Oregon (650miles). The mpg on this route is very sensitive to conditions (temperature and wind). My wife does this route often and typically drives around 75 mph. Her low is 43 mpg and her high is 49mpg (at slightly lower average speed). I did get over 50 mpg from Southern Oregon to our apartment a couple of times when we took an alternate route to Interstate 5 (took more of a coastal route). Make sure that the tire pressure is set above the factory recommended settings. We actually don't use a very high cold pressure compared to others on this forum (37psi). I hope this is useful info for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cobb, I'm actually interested in this phev for the I2. I tried looking for the thread but no luck so far. Will this phev take a lot of additional room? cost? a DIY?

WFalicoft, in my last fueling (yesterday) I was averaging 41 real world mpg. 1 mpg improvement over the previous fueling. The only difference was I was a bit lighter on the throttle. So there's still more adjustment that I need to make.

I just got my k&n filter today. Installed and ready for a trial tomorrow. And I"M going to try the psi tomorrow morning. hopefully it will all add up.

My goal is to get a decent 45 real world mpg or better. Not unreasonable I hope.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Enginer.us made it, but they went out of business. There are other company's that make them, but I have no knowledge of them. I was one of several beta testers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've a 2010 ex with 48k miles in 2 years. I'm an appraiser in LA and drive a lot so have had some time to refine my mpg skills.

Around 10k miles the car broke in and got better mpg
Best was 513 miles but usually average around 440miles per 10gal tank.
I think the car gets optimal mpg around 45mph. Fast lane in LA is 65+mph and the car won't do better than low 40 mpg due to higher revs. (Keep in mind this is my car and my driving style so no flamers please)
I get great mpg when the freeway is going around 45mph.
The road from Santa Clarita is mainly downhill so it's pretty easy to get good mpg. Wonder what mpg for return trip? Probably mid or high 40's or so but good nonetheless. Take advantage of downhills, get the car to speed and keep it there. Don't needlessly scrub speed.
In city get up to speed quickly but not too fast and try to keep the pedal and mph steady. The car is sensitive to people that needlessly play with the throttle.
Try to time the lights. Every time you stop only to have to get up to speed again, you lose mpg.
Try to take routes with less incline. Take routes with longer stretches of road between lights.
That's basically my plan. It varies on topography and your driving habits but the car is realistically good for low 40's if you drive in the fast lane and AC on in LA. Sorry it wasn't written well but hope it helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip guys. Here's my take after a month of owning this car. Mileage: 3000. Average: 40.5MPG. Best: 43MPG. Worst: 39MPG. All these were achieved with no A/C. Driving habit: mix of miss Daisy, bat out of hell, thought its a V8 mentality. Its so hard to fine tune the skill to drive this thing as I always get stuck in traffic. If I drive too slow, gazillion cars cut in front of me (I hate that so much). To maintain a car length requires quick gas and release on the pedal in term kills my MPG. Like Carloz mentioned, I noticed when I'm at 35 - 40 mph I get the optimum MPG it seems. But either way its way better than the 19MPG Rav4 that I previously owned. So no complain. Even my wife now wants to trade cars with me. =P
So kudos for Insight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing I realized and had to accept was in order to get super good mpg I'd have to change my driving style which meant getting cut off by every bastard. You can't get angry by blocking or speeding up to stuff someone who cut you off because it will surely kill your mpg. I decided to relax and get them in the long run. The car doesn't have the balls to beat anyone in a drag race so that wasnt an option. It's a matter of timing and space. I do get the occasional sub400 miles per tank as I unleash some road rage. I know by the first 50 miles if the number will be high or low and I let my attitude take over from there. I guess I'm cool as long as I get 40+ mpg, 44 mpg is my target.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Getting cut off gets old fast, but its fun to watch that person get cut off. I tend to find someone in the right lane thats going slower than traffic or P&Ging and stay about 50 ft behind them. Then when some A-hole gets in front of me, they stay there a few seconds, then pass again. :p

·
3,641 Posts
... If I drive too slow, gazillion cars cut in front of me (I hate that so much). To maintain a car length requires quick gas and release on the pedal in term kills my MPG.
Who cares, let 'em get in front of you! Easing up on your throttle will yield you higher mpg.

I took a defensive driver course 15 years ago and the instructor told us to not let anyone take the space in front of our bumper away from us: instead, he "empowered us" to own the space, and to GIVE it away to the guy who is inclined to cut in. The change in mentality helps reduce stress. :)

Plan ahead more. Drive more defensively. Life is way too short to spend stressing over people cutting in front of us. (I drive DC traffic daily - I know) Good luck.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
One of the first things we noticed was, even while keeping up with traffic, some folks will notice it's a Hybrid and immediately try to go around you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts