Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a couple of threads but might have missed some info. I was under the impression that the Maxx group 51 battery would be "a tight fit" to replace my Honda factory battery - but the positive cable end really won't accommodate the new battery - what do I do, please? 2010 model

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I think the battery tray needs to be removed to lower the larger battery down.
While there are old threads touting this upgrade, I’m not sure the bigger battery ends up lasting any longer. One should just count on replacing them every 3-4 years. Of course if you are needing to sit and listen to the audio system all the time then it might be useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I remove the metal tray - there's nothing for the battery to sit upon. :( Plus it seems to be tied in to some black box on the wheel-well side.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I assume you got a 51R? If you got a standard 51 the posts are backward ... just take out the plastic tray at the bottom and it should fit fine ... my 51r has been working great for 5 years and it still tests strong

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I got the 51r, but it's all water under the bridge now. I took it back to WallyWorld, went to the Honda dealer and got one that fits like I should have done in the first place (and it was $20 cheaper). Not a lot of time wasted but driving around in my forest-fire-smoke-filled valley at 95 degrees made it extra unpleasant.

This experience reminded me of when I owned a classic FJ60 Land Cruiser and I belonged to "ih8mud.com"; the after-market "upgrade" ideas on that site, which always turned out to be much more work than described and somehow my situation had some special problem that wasn't mentioned or you had to have a mechanics' knowledge and/or toolset to work around. The older I get, the more I just want stuff to work right on the first try. Moral of the story: stick with OEM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts