Honda Insight Forum banner

New 165/65 r14 Dunlop Enasave

27K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  MetroMPG 
#1 · (Edited)
Looks like with the US introduction of the Mitsubishi Mirage, there's a new eco-tire in town. It takes the same 165/65 r14 as the Insight. In fact, this is the same model tire that Mitsubishi puts stock on their iMiEV (although that one is a 145/65 r15) so one would assume this is a pretty good eco tire. Wish they sold them in in 185/70 r14 for my HCH... I'd definitely give them a whirl.

Listed on Tire Rack, but currently under backorder :-/.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tireModel=Enasave+01+A/S&partnum=665SR4ES01AS

Sam

#2 ·
Looks like with the US introduction of the Mitsubishi Mirage, there's a new eco-tire in town. It takes the same 165/65 r14 as the Insight. In fact, this is the same model tire that Mitsubishi puts stock on their iMiEV (although that one is a 145/65 r15) so one would assume this is a pretty good eco tire.
The rear tires on the i-MiEV are 175/60R15, so a variety of sizes is available.

As the owner of both an i-MiEV and an Insight, the Insight definitely rolls more easily. But the comparison is difficult because the i-MiEV is about 600 pounds heavier and is much less aerodynamic.

Several i-MiEV owners have complained about how fast the Enasaves are wearing out, so they might not be the equal of an RE-92.

#3 ·
I wonder why Tirerack doesn't have it listed as a LRR tire? Seams like it was designed to be one. In regards to the wear the 1st Gen Prius had the same complaint on the Potenza's. I think it had more to do with the weight vs the tire. Have fun, RIck

#5 ·
I've been thinking of maybe getting a set in the spring, but I'd only be replacing 2 at a time. Since they are cheaper than the RE92s, with a higher load rating and higher wear rating if they come very close in MPG it may be the same over all or even better cost. But the potential pay off if they beat the re92s......

Considering the re92 wear rating and what some owners have reported they get out of them I don't think our light weight car will wear the same as a heavier electric.

#8 ·
I think there's another thread or two running around here where one person has bought and tried them, said they seemed as good as the RE92s in terms of mpg but with a smoother ride. I emailed tirerack last week to ask about the non-LRR designation for the 165-14 size versus the other two sizes - which are LRR. Haven't heard back yet...

#9 ·
Watching with interest.....

#11 · (Edited)
I'm still wondering what snow tire offerings are going to come out for the Mitsu Mirage since my snow handling characteristics are pretty terrible with 2 snow tires up front and 2 worn oversized all season energy savers in the rear, will be flopping to the RE92s on the rear soon, will see if ditching the oversized tires help but couldn't locate another pair of snows, maybe the 13" studded tires go back on?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5TR4SPWR&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Hmm, dunlops again, never cared for dunlop, ah well we will see how well they work, usually not as well as blizzaks.

Also the mirage and the insight are roughly the same weight so they should wear OK if they aren't overloaded like the Miev.

#14 ·
....Just emailed tire rack again, to a direct contact, with my question about LRR...
Here's the perfunctory reply and my reply to that:

"I believe that is a typo on our part. I'm having it checked by Hardware Support. I think the 165 size is LRR. I'll let you know tomorrow."

My response:
"I hope so. But one thing that makes me think there may be a difference is that the recommended inflation pressures are different as well - 44 psi for the 165-14 size and 51 psi for the others - unless there's an error there as well... Let me know what you find."

#17 ·
Not necessarily, tire costs used to pertain to brand, construction and the commodity cost of materials, anymore not at all.

Just think about all the real low profile $300ea tires in the market, some of the low profile 19's use half the rubber of a standard 15" tire but cost 3x as much.

So some of the big tires are cheaper than smaller ones, cost isn't based on materials or size, mainly on perception and demand.

#19 ·
Heard back from tire rack. Here's the response:

"Fortunately your email brought it to our attention that we omitted identifying the 165/65R14 79S-sized Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S as a Low Rolling Resistance tire when we first received it. We've corrected that error and it should be properly represented tomorrow on the website. Low Rolling Resistance tires feature rubber compounds, internal constructions and tread patterns designed to reduce the energy consumed by the tire to go down the road. While I would suspect evolving technology might give the latest tires an edge, we won't have rolling resistance comparisons until NHTSA tire labeling is finally implemented."

I guess they ARE LRR. Hope the price stays low... Hopefully some others will give them a try; I won't need new tires for a while...

#23 ·
tires

Tire Rack is your friend
No RPM on the Dunlop.
Same weight and .1 diff. on dia. Dunlop smaller, 165/65/14.
Cooper also makes a LRR, 175/65/14.

Willie

#29 ·
Any experience with the Coopers?

I went tire-shopping last week, and was disappointed by the local shops. Nobody could see *any* 165/65R14s in their computer, much less anything they had a deal/rebate on.

175/65/R14s were plentiful, at least. (What's currently on there, the cheaper Michelins in that size)

The local, small shop is a big Cooper Tire place, and told me the CS4 was the way to go. But I don't think they quite grok LRR. I'm sure if they can get the GFE - but he didn't tell me that was an option. I didn't know at the time to look, but it wasn't an option he listed from the computer.

Anybody else seeing any 165/65's out there?

#26 ·
It doesn't surprise me that the iMiev tires don't wear well. That isn't a lot of tire for a car that weighs that much more than an Insight.
The i-MiEV is a mid-engine rear wheel drive car whose 2600 lb. weight is distributed 45/55 F/R. It uses 175/60R15 tires in the rear to support the greater weight in the rear. The load rating of the 145/65R15 front tires is sufficient for the weight on the front wheels when the car is at its maximum gross weight which includes 750 lb. of people and cargo.

Even so, its tires are probably more heavily loaded on average than those on an Insight.

#31 · (Edited)
Tire Rack shows a user review for the Dunlops, not too favourable:

tire rack

"These tires are the OEM fitment for my car. My first impression of these tires was that they were quiet, had OK grip levels for normal driving and had dull response - to this day, my opinion hasn't changed. I understand Mitsubishi chose an absurd tire size in order to maximize MPG, but having seat time with a car wearing Bridgestone RE92's, the turn in is mushy, even at 40 PSI, and the tires howl a lot before losing traction.

Speaking of traction, there isn't much. Lateral bite is very strong, assuring you they'll deliver in a panic braking situation - longitudinal traction is another story. These tires aren't dangerous by any stretch of the imagination, even in 5 degree freezing cold winter nights, but for someone who has a heartbeat for racing, they'll be disappointed.

My car also has a very conservative suspension tune, designed for countries like Thailand where many roads are poorly paved, or gravel or dirt. I'll be changing my springs and sway bars soon, to see if the soft suspension settings are the bigger culprit to the car's poor quality of handling.

These tires also don't cut through deep snow very well - or my car's 1,950lb weight is to blame. But they'll get you home in one piece. If 165-65R14 is your only choice, stick with the Potenzas. You'll be happier in the long run."

Also the RE92s are within $1 now at $88, they were $98 last week.

Odd that since the dunlops came out tirerack has shown them as back order but they have got "best seller" status now.

There's also a new pirelli snow tire in our size, the description says LRR but it's not listed as LRR in 165.

Even after reading that I just pulled the trigger on 2 new Enasave's, I did a lot of searching and not much came up, but I did find this fuel log off a mirage on ecomodder that convinced me the Enasave has a lot of potential.

#33 ·
First trip to work on my 2 dunlops (rear) and had a 90.9mpg avg over 44miles. My best on the winter tires over the last month was 83. My best on 4 RE92s when I got the car last august had been just over 100 a few times, but it was much warmer then. I also replaced my side mirror with a motorcycle mirror so that may account for a few mpg but so far they are promissing.

Have all four tires at 54psi cold.

#37 ·
First trip to work on my 2 dunlops (rear) and had a 90.9mpg avg over 44miles.
I think rear tires have much less effect on fuel efficiency than front tires because rear tires support considerably less weight, aren't so involved in steering, and share a much lower percentage of braking duties. It would be interesting to know the effect on your fuel efficiency if these Dunlops were mounted on the front instead. I'm guessing that your fuel efficiency would decrease a bit.

#35 ·
It's hard for me to judge compared to the RE92s because I just got the car last August and the rears were very old and very worn.

I find the car is bad for noise at highway level regardless of the 3 tires I've driven it on, old RE92s, Haka winters and now Dunlop/RE92 mix. So all I can say is there are no new unpleasent noises coming from them.

Handling wise the car feels like it want's to turn in a lot quicker than it did on the winters, I took one round about with the engine off and didn't touch the brakes and actually got the rear end to break loose, it was a susprise because on the winters it would have NEVER done that no matter how hard I turned but it broke nice and progressively and came back in line smoothly too. They were less than 50miles on them then so they probably still had some oils on them making it slippery. It's been pretty windy the last few drives and because it want's to turn in a lot more there's been some 2 hands on the wheel times where with winters I would have had 1, but nothing that I would say is bad.

Since I only needed 2 tires I figured if I hated them I'd buy 4 RE92s when I need 2 more, but I am thinking I will probably buy 2 more Dunlops next spring. If anything happens to have me change my mind I'll report it. I'll also report if I can break a 100mpg trip to work on them before I work on my boat tail. (I am confident I can)