Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a brand new 2003 Insight .
It's on a dealer's showroom, they haven't sold it!
It's a CVT, is this why it hasn't sold?
In reading the posts, looks like most people have opted for the 5-spd.
I probably could purchase for 18,000-18,300.
I need Insight owners thoughts. Thanks for everyone's help.
Bill Pitman

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Do you have a specific question? It's up to you to decide if you want that car for that price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm looking for input from CVT owners, as to their experiences &
satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the CVT.
I do realize that the final purchase decision is mine!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you prefer an automatic there ya go (you might be able to go a bit lower on the price with some haggling). The 5 speed choice is mainly for the mileage factor, automatics do not have lean burn so the mileage suffers. Your looking at a 57/56 vs 61/68 epa ratings. Some CVT owners end up regretting rushing in to buying a CVT because they couldn't find a 5 speed, but I think they're still for the main part very happy with their cars. But then again you probably won't be able to find a new 5 speed now anyways.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought a new leftover 02 CVT in April of 03 for 16K. I have owned 5 speeds in the past (88 CRX Si), but wanted to give my left leg a break. I have no regrets with the CVT. Considering the list for a new CVT is over 21K, I thought 16K was good. This was when gas was 50+ cents cheaper and there wasn't much, if any demand for insights here on the east coast. Even though I don't get the 60+ MPG that most 5 speed owners get, I can live with "only" 55 MPG. Also remember, the CVT comes standard with auto A/C where as it's an option on the 5 speed. Being that the car you are looking at is a leftover, I agree you might be able to do a little better on the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t own one yet (I do have a ’04 Prius) but looking around and talking to dealers in NJ I have gotten prices of new ’03 from $16,100 to $16,995 and for new ’04 from $19,700 to $21,000. The dealers only have CVTS.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the 5 speed instead of the CVT. My reason is mpg, I can't get higher than 47.7 average mpg for mostly city driving. Yet it always seems like my short trip averages are over 50 mpg. The car has 13k miles and is getting it's EGR valve replaced do to surging. I wonder if that has anything to do with my bad mpg lately?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Happy CVT owner

I'm a happy CVT owner, with a lifetime average MPG of just over 57. There are days that I wish I had a manual transmission, but generally that's just on days that I read these forums. When I talk to any average car-owner, when I say my average MPG was 57, and that I got 65 or so on the trip in, the usual response is still something along the lines of "Oh my god that's good."

Every time I'm stuck in traffic, I'm glad I have an automatic. That's becoming more and more frequent in traffic these days. I also broke three of my left ribs recently, and the pain I'd have had to have suffered through to shift gears, considering how much pain I was in just to lift that leg... well, enough said. It doesn't take off the line as fast as the manual, doesn't get as good gas mileage, but it still turns heads, has plenty of pickup for me, and gets really very, very reasonable gas mileage :)

And for the owner getting pretty low MPG: just make sure your trip averages are significantly above that lifetime average, and it will pick up. My tires are pumped to forty (just finishing the rainy season here in Utah), and I have a long daily freeway commute over ~1500 gentle vertical feet. It's possible to make a good run of it in a CVT.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My CVT used to have a 60mpg lifetime for mostly highway driving but now with mostly city driving it's only at 47.7mpg. My trip averages are always 55mpg or higher.

I'm hoping the replacement of the EGR valve will bring things up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts