Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have you all seen the 2004 Prius at Toyota.com. it looks like a larger Insight with 4 doors.I planned to buy a 2003 Insight but may now wait to see more about the new Prius and what Honda is going to do with the insight in 2004 ..new or replacement.The Civic hybrid is abit too sedate for me and I like the Insight alot...Im in a quandry ..will just have to wait for more info..Zen

·
Registered
320 Posts
So, you want an automatic transmission? That's your only option with the Prius. The Insight and Civic both come in either automatic or 5-speed manual transmission.

I have a friend who wants to have kids while he owns his next car and he's deciding between the Prius and the Civic, since two seats are not enough for him. He only wants automatic transmission, so for him, the choice is up in the air, though I think he's leaning toward getting the Civic.

Me? I love driving the Insight. Neither the Civic nor the Prius are as fun for me to drive.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not everybody agreed with my remarks that the 2004 Prius was not that different looking from the Insight, main difference being the shorter front. I would have loved to know what kind of milage the 2004 Prius could get with a 5-speed, because the EPA says it's at 55 mpg overall.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Toyota would have to redesign the entire drive chain to make a Prius with a 5 speed manual transmission. The car is designed around the infinitely variable automatic transmission. The gas engine and electric motor separately connect to the transmission.

The Insight/Civic designs link the gas engine and electric motor and that joined entity then connects to either an automatic or manual transmission.

Each design has its advantage. The Toyota design allows the car to be run from only gas or only electric or both, while the Honda design requires that the gas engine be running whenever the electric motor is running (a slight disadvantage), but it makes the type of transmission optional, while Toyota is heavily invested in the automatic transmission.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree, the Prius looks nothing like the Insight.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Is everyone looking at the same car?!?
I think it looks alot like the insight

Moderator Note: Image removed. We're going to be a little tough on non-Insight images for a while (see our Posting Guidelines). Please refer to Tim's earlier post or the Toyota web site for photos of the 2004 Prius.

Wife told me today, that if we can fit 3 car seats in the back
of this thing, I can buy it. :wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Two different people of any one race tend to look a lot alike unless you are a member of that race, bringing you to insist that nobody could mistake one for the other. Similarly, judging the similarity of two cars is very subjective.

Both come in a silver finish. Both have four wheels, though the Prius wheels look proportionately smaller and it lacks the Insight's telltale fender skirts. The profile of both cars is similar, though the Prius rise to roof level is a bit more abrupt in front.

Viewed from above, or from the front or back, the Prius is a lot blockier. It has corners where the Insight has curves.

Meanwhile, the Prius is a fine car. If I wanted to drive a car with an automatic transmission, I'd consider it, but I don't, so the issue dies there.

Compared to the older Prius model, the new one is very sleek and pretty. The engineering is clearly better in the newer model. This is cause for celebration. The world needs more cars like this.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Atheos said:
Moderator Note: Image removed (again).
O.K., when you put it that way, yes, I do see some similarities. I hadn't seen all of those shots. **Edit** This was stated BEFORE the picture was removed.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I stand by my first response. They look nothing like each other. I certainly wouldn't confuse one on the road as the other.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife and I agree with the comment that the car looks like a 4dr Insight. The back window treatment is very similar. Dont get me wrong, I don't think anyone will mistake the two, but there are enough similariities to suggest a family resemblance. There are optimal shapes to maximize low drag so we shouldn't be suprised that these cars come out looking alike. I'm impressed that the Insight looks as good as it does. As a hardcore "car guy" I love the fact that everything about the Insight has a solid engineering reason behind it. It is the ultimate automotive version of "Form follows Function".

G

·
0 Posts
Atheos said:
I agree - It looks like they've taken several ideas right off the insight. The rear hatch door, for example.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts