Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of a clearance 2012 Insight. So far after 4 days, my max mpg is around 3ompg.

I drive regularly in the city mostly flat road, with some hills.

Speeds of 30-60mph.

Is there something wrong? Since it is out of spec, I'm thinking of taking it in for warranty along with the driver side window rattle.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you've had it 4 days and only done 33 miles, that's less than 9 miles per day.

You won't get great fuel economy mainly doing short journeys. The fuel saving hybrid functions don't really work fully until the car is warmed up. It will take longer of you're running the heater / air-con / demisters too.

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats excellent fuel economy for a 9 mile trip of stop n go traffic. My all time high is 24. :D I am sure thats double what the vehicle it replaced. I had a scion xb and I got a whopping 19 mpg in stop n go traffic. It was rated at 27.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Temperature also plays a big role, your first 10 miles won' t have good mpg when it is freezing. So don't worry, unless it has been really sweltering in Seattle this week.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You may also want to post in the Insight Gen2 forum for a help from fellow G2 ownres?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2013 that is averaging 35-ish in stop and go city driving this Ohio winter (overall average of 48.8 in the first 325 miles). In the first mile or two each morning, though, my mileage takes a beating. And thereafter, I have to drive like a 90 year old to make up.

If you drive the insight just like you'd drive any other car, in the city in the winter, 30 is quite decent. If you watch the readout and drive for economy, the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Check the tire pressure. Mine was low; setting it to max sidewall pressure improved FE considerably with hardly any effect on handling (became more precise, if anything).

·
Registered
943 Posts
Moved. :D This app doesnt say the Insight MPG is Gen 1 or Gen 2 unless you click moderate and move thread. Then it only shows you where to move it, not where it currently is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Can we get that changed? Makes using the app slightly less user friendly than it could be.

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for moving the message I'm assuming gen 2 is the new style Insight :)

Their spec says 42 city driving ... I'm wondering what city driving they do and which exact city :) :) :)

How do I find the max sidewall pressure information?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
On the sidewall of the tire. The sentence will read something like: max load xxxxlbs. (xxxxkg) at xxlbs (xxkg) maximum pressure.

the factory recommended is 33lbs. I run ours at about 38. Some folks here go higher. Remember that these reading are stone cold. Best to get a small compressor and do it at home in the morning. (I use a little nail gun compressor, but have used a cig lighter plug one in the past) I do not live where it's cold so my pressures don't vary unless a curb has been hit or a service guy lowers them to spec. :mad:
If you live where it gets cold, you have to raise them as winter sets in and lower them in the spring. Often times incrementally each way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tire inflation

Tire pressure max rating on my factory (2013) Bridgestone M-S is 40 pounds. I was somewhat amazed to find that off the dealer lot, in less than 20 degrees F, these tires were inflated to 50 psi all around. Suits me, however, as the fuel economy so far has been excellent, and I very much enjoy the way the car handles. The ride is firm, but not uncomfortable--kind of sporty feeling to my sensibility--and it corners like a racehorse.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
How do I find the max sidewall pressure information?
To be fair I did not find it on my Conti WinterContacts, but was crouching in the dark and snow so did not look too well. Just assume it will be somewhere on it.

I use just under 3 bar (44 PSI) all round on my 175/65/15 winter tyres, but may go a bit higher even. It was 2 bar when I got them, which is below spec.
It did have a real effect on mpg (over 5%); got personal record mpg on some trips under worse conditions than previous runs.

The Honda electic pump is impossible to attach or detach without leaking some air, so you never know exactly how much pressure you really started with or ended up with, unless you get a steady hand at it.
At pressures around 3 bar I lose .1 bar by either detaching or attaching; I inflate to 3.1 bar and find 2.9 left when reattaching directly afterwards, due to leaking air while turning the screwy ring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it inflated to 35psi and got a little boost, and at 40psi got to 40mpg now. Happy happy happy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts