Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the Honda Insight and Hybrid all together. I just purchased a 2012 Honda Insight last week. It had 90 miles on it when I bought it. My question is if it is true that the motor needs to be "broken" in to get the best MPG? I am averaging about 41-42 on this tank. I have read several posts, but am not seeing anything specific about the 2012. Sorry if my question is below par

·
Registered
790 Posts
People usually do see better MPG as its driven more. After several thousand miles I'd say I gained a couple more MPG. Not terrifically amazing or anything, but hey.

Right now with it blazing hot outside with the A/C on whenever it's being driven I'm not getting any better than low 40's. I've had ECON off and on lately, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It'll take a little while to learn how to drive her to get the best mpg. Some people (me) try to get the most mpg every time I drive, and some people (my wife) just drive it like her previous car, a VW Passat (nice car, good power, but that's the problem). Do some reading about what it takes to be a hyper-miler or hyper-miler wannabe like me. Try it then choose which style is best. After 9k miles, when I drive with the air off I now get high 50's to mid 60's per mid in west suburban Chicago suburbs. That's now, in the winter it's not as good. My wife generally gets mid 40's to mid 50's now. On the Xway it's always less than 60 and often less than 55, but I don't do much Xway driving. On a trip to Washington DC and back in April I got about 52mpg real (not mid, mid was 54.5) quite a bit less than usual, but all Xway. I use fuelly to keep track of all my fuelups and put in what the mid says. The mid error goes up as the mpg goes up for me.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. It can take about 10 thousand miles for the engine to break in and for changing the oil.

There is a broad learning curve and for someone who seems like an expert like me took several month to relearn how to drive my car after an accident.

Basically just setup situations so you can coast more. Dont race to red lights, stop signs. Let your car coast or gently ride the brakes to a stop to put more energy back in the hybrid battery.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine gets the same - Texas also

That's what my 2010 gets after nearly 15K miles. I'm in Texas as well, with lots of AC. You'll see higher numbers with more highway miles. In the city, 41-42 is to be expected.:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also think it depends on the terrain where you live. I live in Pittsburgh and we have hills everywhere. Even the major highways have hills that go up and down. In the summer my best mpg is around 46 and in the winter where the car runs a lot more to keep it warm I get around 40 mpg. I am super pleased with that though because my old Honda CR-V never got above 23 mpg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
after having my 2012 EX Insight for over a month (with econ button on all the time and always "on the green"), I've been averaging 52.6 (MID says 55), but yesterday when I put gas, I turned the econ button off and I got an MID average of 62mpg. I've never driven with the econ button off and now I feel like I'm driving a regular car. really cool!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Question

Does anyone know if the 2013 Insight is going to get better mileage than the 2012 Insight.
I am a bit spoiled as I still have my 2002 Insight(83K miles) and while my mpg isn't as good as some, I can still get as high as 60 mph on the highway if I drive at appropriate speed, without ac, etc. in the summer on the highway.
I am going to keep this car but am going to sell or trade my 2007 Honda Fit for either a 2013 Insight or possibly a Prius, which gets better mpg than does the 2012 Insight and which is generally rated much higher than does the 2012 Insight.
I would like to continue with an Insight but would like to see at least more in the way of mpg and with an automatic transmission.
Anyone have any knowledge of the 2013 Insight re: mpg and overall improvement?
thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't think Honda would change 2013 since they already did a refresh on 2012 aka change the aerodynamics etc. From what I see from Honda, their slight change/refresh goes by 2 years usually. e.g. 2010-2011 Honda Insight is the same, 2012-2013 would be the same as the refreshed. Same goes for Honda Accords, 2008-2010 same, 2011-2012 slightly refresh on bumpers and tail light.

·
Registered
790 Posts
speculation ON

The 2013 model will just about have to have the Civic's lithium battery system to remain competitive with Toyota (if not challenge for the lead), and all of us get to sit around and hope like hell it's somehow interchangeable with 2010-2012's -- which would be absolutely awesome, ECU transplants or not.

Some people think the Insight might be going away, but that's just not going to happen until at least a 4 year run has come and gone -- there will be a 2013 model. Provided the Insight gets what the Civic has, it'll be very competitive even with an idiot behind the wheel and terrifically awesome for people who can push a hybrid.

I agree with what runtohel121 said in regard to behavioral characteristics at Honda, but Honda should had fitted the 2012 I2 with the new Civic IMA system and I can't think of a single logical reason why Honda won't do it on the 2013 unless they will have to eat the cost of a couple warehouse loads of battery packs they have already committed themselves to, and if that is the case, I hope Honda gets a pair and manages to alleviate themselves of that potential problem.

speculation OFF

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
If you got a gen 1 insight and your best is 60mpg, then I would expect worse in the i2. Ive seen people here and locally get well over 100 mpg. Granted I managed to break 100 mpg, but that was with a phev kit, which these people do not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you got a gen 1 insight and your best is 60mpg, then I would expect worse in the i2. Ive seen people here and locally get well over 100 mpg. Granted I managed to break 100 mpg, but that was with a phev kit, which these people do not.

Cobb's absolutely correct here, I just traded my 2002 CVT in on a 2012 EX. Typical mileage on the Gen1 this time of year was about 52 mpg for me. I commute at a higher than average speed so I was happy with that. My first two tanks were 45.6 and then 48.7 mpg. I only need to run my AC about 50% of the time though, we're cool enough in the morning to go without. All my driving so far has been without the ECON engaged and at the recommended tire pressure. I'm going to try ECON next week, probably begin to firm up the tires, too.

If you've never driven a hybrid it will take a few thousand miles to get used to it. I notice that the gas pedal/throttle is much more sensitive than the Gen 1 and it's tough to keep out of charge when coasting or going downhill. I'm also seeing what's been stated earlier, the MID is a couple MPG to the optomistic side on each tank, much like the Gen 1 was.

Love the brakes and steering, though. It's great to have a little give in the suspension, too. I'm pleased that by all early indicators I can probably get my mileage to within 5% of the Gen 1.
Brian

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also think it depends on the terrain where you live. I live in Pittsburgh and we have hills everywhere. Even the major highways have hills that go up and down.
I agree big time on that it depends greatly on where you live, for a number of reasons.

1. Hills make a big difference especially if they are long.

2. The quality of the gasoline makes a difference. Those lucky enough to buy fuel without ethanol will get ~10% better mpg, plus regional blends can have some affect also.

3. Suburban driving vs long flat freeways vs twisted complex freeways like Los Angeles or similar places. I find it very hard to drive for good mpg in the greater LA area, the traffic speeds are not consistent at all and we have to go over mountain passes between the various valleys.

I drive mine pretty much like a normal car ~75 mph avg on the freeway and keep up with traffic on the hills. I don't use more acceleration than needed but I'm not in the right lane taking 1/2 mile to get up to freeway speed either. I seem to average 43-46 mpg depending more on the types of roads and traffic conditions.... and my mood of driving than anything else. I have been driving with the Econ turned on, I need to try some extended driving with it turned off. A friend of mine has a 2011 Insight and she drives with the Econ off all the time and still easily gets in the mid to high 40s.

One thing I'd suggest, keep an eye on tire pressures. With running in the 40 psi range the air seems to leak out faster and when they are down in the 30 psi range it's hard to get above the low 40s.

I've got about 2,500 miles on mine now so still not fully broken in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2012 Base

2012 base insight. North Chicago.

Ok, I'm on my second week and will fill up again maybe July 6th.

The first tank which I topped off netted 61 MPG. Looks like the second may have some slight improvement.

I pretty much hyper mile when I drive. Mostly highway and keeping it around 60 +- 3 mph. Allot of coasting!!! and using reg when braking to stops.

The computer average is 61.6 but it is hard to keep it there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Second tank of gas comes in at 59.94 MPG. Lets see what the next one brings. I think its going to take several to get a true average MPG.

All I can say is it does take some effort to resist punching it. Especially in the Chicago area.

Still thinking of adding cruise control.

The first tank which I topped off netted 61 MPG. Looks like the second may have some slight improvement.

I pretty much hyper mile when I drive. Mostly highway and keeping it around 60 +- 3 mph. Allot of coasting!!! and using reg when braking to stops.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Second tank of gas comes in at 59.94 MPG. Lets see what the next one brings. I think its going to take several to get a true average MPG.

All I can say is it does take some effort to resist punching it. Especially in the Chicago area.

Still thinking of adding cruise control.
Many here post their fuel consumption at fully.com. Please join the group.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
fuelly.com

It was a typo.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oops sorry about the typo. Try Blue Bird (Honda Insight) | Fuelly where you can see my results for several years now.

You have some pretty impressive numbers here. I have a heck of a time hitting or exceeding 53 mpg (actual) for a tankful. Any ideas or words of wisdom you have about doing better would be most appreciated.

(I could do better by raising my tire pressures over 40 psi, but maneuvering and safety concerns arose for me when I tried it. In this windy and hilly area.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts