Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Please do your review fast I looking to see what sound setup I will do for my future 2000 Insight... And I was very Intrigate about the possibility of puting 6.5 woofer in back panel since people recommand only 2 front speakers in Door to get good stereo Image.

So I wait for your reviews... Guest I will try to put best 6.5 woofer later if it work well. Or I will maybe buy a custum sub from Expertfabricator.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Got them in today.

They are far from plug and play, and take a little hacking to get them to fit, but it's not too bad if you have something to grind/cut with.

The passenger side takes a little coaxing to make it go in all the way, it's pushing up against the IMA vent pretty hard, but it will go in, if only just.

The speaker grill and grill surrounds need to be trimmed, as well as the aluminum panel on the back for them to fit. I think they are more like a 6 3/4" speaker than a 6.5".

But GOOD LORD do these things sound good. Would I do it again? In a word, yes, in two words hell yes. The sound these things put out is practically indistinguishable from the bulky 10" sub I had that took up the entire cargo cubby and it is infinitely better than the Sound Ordnance B-8PT I had before that. Now I've gained that space back and lost the weight of the box/sub. The bass falls off around 25-30hz.

Some pics:

How much I had to trim the surround.

How much I had to trim from the back panel.

After trimming.

Grill trimming, have to admit the angle grinder wasn't the best tool for this but it got the job done, and you can't tell from the outside how awful it looks on the back lol. If you don't do this the cone will hit the grill.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed.

All together, looks completely stock, you'd never guess what was lurking behind those grills until you hear it.

This is what they replaced, and sound pretty much indistinguishable from.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks you for your review and your nice picture of what you do. I guest I will consider this. But Yeah Iam not willing to doing drilling cut about the round speaker emplacement. But you say your speaker doing more 6 3/4 size that explain. And about drilling the speaker cover I guest I prefer to not put and keep inside my bedroom. Then now I will put the costum Grill or nothing from there. And finaly I must consider have little least bass from speaker because I will have 6.5 speaker size. But a thing that will help for sound I will have Pioneer 4200F Class D (FD = Full range Class D)4 Chanel to drive the speaker.

So thanks you for your review I will consider to buy 6.5 bass speaker is a possibility. I guest a nice pair of 6.5 Kicker speaker will be good... I do not know if they are better choice.

Black_Angel

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh yeah if it do a good job I guest I will think about maybe put Sound Damper Stuff like Dynamat Extreme in the back of the speaker... In speaker Door it improve the sound greatly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for doing this.

I was thinking about this while changing the fuel pump.

All that air in between the speakers, why not put a mini sub there and install some rear speakers for what they are worth? The mid cargo net just holds debris.

The mounting depth on your Earthquake is 1 3/4". I cannot seem to find a 6.5" 4 ohm subwoofer with shallower specs.

Did you use the factory radio and if so, which amp?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Installed.......
Hey e.pie, thanks a lot for the update and pics. Obviously I'd prefer not to cut up the back wall but your sound review is reassuring of the required results (I was considering the small powered amp you've had before the upgrade and it didn't sound the best).
I'm doing my research for a good amp for this setup and will report back ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for doing this.

I was thinking about this while changing the fuel pump.

All that air in between the speakers, why not put a mini sub there and install some rear speakers for what they are worth? The mid cargo net just holds debris.

The mounting depth on your Earthquake is 1 3/4". I cannot seem to find a 6.5" 4 ohm subwoofer with shallower specs.

Did you use the factory radio and if so, which amp?
I'm using an aftermarket head unit. My amp is a PPi PCx250.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey e.pie, thanks a lot for the update and pics. Obviously I'd prefer not to cut up the back wall but your sound review is reassuring of the required results (I was considering the small powered amp you've had before the upgrade and it didn't sound the best).
I'm doing my research for a good amp for this setup and will report back ;)
I was a bit leery about cutting it up too, but I am glad I decided to take the plunge. I've had them in for two weeks now, just finished up a 1200mile road trip and still couldn't be happier with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool man, I'm actively shopping for a 4ch amp to power the Polk Audio DB651s in the front and the SWSs that will be in the back.
The chopping tools are at the ready :weapons74: LOL...
Same speakers I have in the front. :D A 4ch amp is also on my list of wants for the near future.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Looking at the picture where you've cut the alu, why do you need a shallow sub. It looks like there is plenty of room behind the speaker.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the picture where you've cut the alu, why do you need a shallow sub. It looks like there is plenty of room behind the speaker.
That's the drivers side, it's the passenger side with the IMA battery vent that needs the shallow mount. And even with these shallow subs it's a super super tight fit to get the passenger side mounted, it's so tight that if the vent weren't made of a somewhat flexible plastic the sub would have no chance of fitting.

You can see it in this pic.

·
Registered
307 Posts
So you can fit a deep (long throw) 6.5 sub to one side, and a shallow one to the other. Or just replace one with a normal sub and leave the speaker in the other side.

Thanks for the swift response.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just installed some 6-1/2" Pioneer speakers I had laying around. I had good results.

The stock radio and speakers, had zero bass.

My brother gave me 4 each 6-1/2" Pioneer 2 way speakers, that he got as a package with a stereo he bought. I had extra time and installed them, and Vuala, it sounded way better.

It sounds good now, but I think if you put a way better speakers back there, it would sound great.

·
Registered
307 Posts
So, putting in one normal sized 6.5in sub in the passenger side would be quite simple then.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey e.pie,

I've looked online. Any chance you've taken a pic of the power hookup to the DC/DC converter? Or can you run it by me please?
I've got an amp coming in about a week's time ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, putting in one normal sized 6.5in sub in the passenger side would be quite simple then.
It would be, but it doesn't add much bass.

I'm actually running only one sub right now, accidently blew one of mine when the volume was turned up way too much and I didn't notice. :(

It adds a little bass, but not enough to really bother IMO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey e.pie,

I've looked online. Any chance you've taken a pic of the power hookup to the DC/DC converter? Or can you run it by me please?
I've got an amp coming in about a week's time ;)
I'll see if I can find one, I'd rather not have to dig back in to the battery, there are way too many bolts to get to something so simple.

Found some. You're looking for a white wire kind of behind the big fan:

Closer shot of the wire, it's the white one hiding behind the black one:

Also be careful of the red and black ones on the top in the middle, that's 144 volts running though there.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts