Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm located in Canada.

The car has 171,646km. Battery seems to not hold as much charge as when the car was new, but electic assist is still functioning normally. IMA light came on last week. Dealer inidcates IMA code P1447, indicating replacement of battery and BCM. Quoted $9457 CAD + tax for replacement. WTF? Am I being taken for a ride?

At that price, I would just trash the vehicle, and tell everyone I know not to by a hybrid or Honda vehicle under any circumstances!

Brian

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No it shouldn't be that much. In the states the average out of warranty parts and install seems to be around $2,000 but thats a give or take figure. You should be able to find a used pack in a junk yard for a couple hundred bucks. The BCM is only a recommended replacment (though I believe the battery managment is much improved in the replacment BCM). I'd go check with another dealer, or even call up Honda's customer support number.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
You should complain to Honda, since they are making the Insight look bad when it isn't. All the dealers always say 'give me 5 stars' - so here is one you can give no stars at all and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Phone Number 7 Honda in Woodbridge just North of Toronto, Ontario.
Direct part's number (905) 851-2250
http://www.number7honda.com/contactus.asp

Ask for Andy and tell him Guillermo from the Insight club sent you.
They will quote you a much better price.
And if you live in the Greater Toronto area I recommend going there for service.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the dealer doesn't want to work on your car or is afraid to work on it so they just gave you a shocker of a price to run you off. There are some dealers who have almost no working knowledge of an Insight. These dealers are probally better left alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lets see. 171,600. Yes, that piece of junk fell apart in no time! I drive cars 100,000 to 200,000 miles but most of my friends get near 100,000 and dump them. So, we are saying the Insight isn't any good as it only went 171,600. Now, when was the last time a service dept wasn't trying to made a buck? The quote is only 6,000 or 7000 too high. You said it was working fine.
Do a little web surfing and find a battery wholesaler who can supply it.
There is a salvage sales here in Kansas City, Mo that has an insight with 52,000 miles that has a blown engine and the whole car can be bought for $6000.

·
Registered
741 Posts
bripirie said:
At that price, I would just trash the vehicle, and tell everyone I know not to by a hybrid or Honda vehicle under any circumstances!

At 171,000 kilmometers, the car is near-death anyway. Even if the battery was only $100, I wouldn't bother replacing it.

Just keep driving with the weak battery.

troy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
At 171,000 kilmometers, the car is near-death anyway. Even if the battery was only $100, I wouldn't bother replacing it.
Just keep driving with the weak battery.
troy
That's ridiculous. At 171K, the car is just barely broken in. Well cared for, that's nothing for a vehicle. Only about 100K miles.

If it was my car, I would just replace the battery (but NOT for $9457! That price is almost as ridiculous as Troy's statement about car life) and keep on driving...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I still wouldn't replace the battery.

troy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't replace the battery until it was completely dead - if it was just weak, I'd use it until it was absolutely dead before getting another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts