Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a used 2002 Insight...76K miles.It has been in one front end accident,no Airbags deployed...I have priced new ones,and am considering that too...

My questions include:When did the batteries improve?Is there a vin # after which the batt's are better?Has anyone had electrical problems after repairing a front end crash?Is it economically advantageous to buy new for $21K rather than used for $10K?Has anyone driven the car as a Non Hybrid,ie,using only the 3 cylinder motor?I had a SAAB 3 cylinder 2 stroke that made about 40 HP yet was fine for all driving....could an Insight with dead electrics be converted to a simple and lighter gas only car,if the electrics/batteries were jettisoned?...Blasphemy,I know...

And finally,I have a SaturnWagon that gets 36 mpg.And can haul kayaks,bikes,etc....should I wait til 2006/7 for Honda's next generation Hybrids?.. Thanks very much!...east

·
Registered
31 Posts
The insight is quite slow when the IMA is not working or the batteries are low.

0-60 takes about 20 seconds it seems.

Only thing i can help ya with

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Insight is pretty sluggish without the battery. At low speeds the electric motor provides a significant amount of torque.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi eastender43 and welcome to the forum :!:

Common questions for a potential new owner and have been asked and answered many times. Try the forum search feature :!:

Here are a few threads for starters:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3311

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3601

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3596

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3191

There are many others too!

In choosing new vs. used the most difficult thing to weigh is the remaining service life of the IMA batteries. (In additional to any other wear and tear) Although the price difference you quote makes it almost a no brainer. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have experience with an Insight that was in a front end collision (not mine). It had a kind of hack job put backtogether. Some of the front most wiring hanress was messed up and even clipped off in a few places. The main problem was the ambient temperature sensor was not replaced and the wires were just cut off so the car would not auto stop. Take a very good close look at what has been replaced and look for any signs of shoddy alluminum welds on the main crash supports. A car that has been in a slight collision when fixed properly will be fine, but personally I'd draw a line at a certain point in how well the repairs were done.

·
Registered
243 Posts
*Buying new verses used. Remeber to factor the tax rebate if you buy new. Used will almost always be a better deal. But the important factor will be how long you plan on keeping the car. The longer you own it, the less the advantage you have buying used. Used cars are also a bigger risk because of possible hidden out-of-warantee problems.

*Without the IMA assist, isn't that big of a power loss. The gas engine has little low-end torque will the IMA is all low-end. So to get more than normal acceleration without IMA, you are gonna have to rev the motor.

*Gutting the IMA. To completely remove it you would have to add an alternator. The is no provision for mounting one. There is already a 12V starter. Probably have to do some creative re-wiring. And there would be a constant check-engine light. But if you remove the battery "box", you'll have alot more space in back.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
One of the auto magazines did a test where they intentionally ran the battery flat and then did a zero to sixty test. The Insight was slower by roughly two seconds. A turbo kit makes it faster by about two seconds. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great warranty on car as new

Great warranty on car as new, covers all the Really Expensive stuff for 8 years / 80,000 miles. Long term keeper? Tax break? Warranty? Go new. 2 or 3 year turnaround? Go used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts