·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how the sale of Hummers is going? :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
hopefully very poorly... there's no reason to have a vehicle that large and quite frankly i don't want to have to drive around them.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I'm more interested in how the demand for Insights is going. Last year the sales were up over the previous year. I really hope that Honda hangs in there with the Insight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went by the Honda dealership yesterday to get a new hat and there was a new model Honda that i hadn't seen before. It had a manual transmission,4dr,very sporty looking vehicle.It got better mpg than the Civic,but not as good as the insight.It listed around $15,700. I would bet that it will be sold by this weekend. There were a lot of people there looking at cars! I think gas prices are really starting to hit home quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I read an article that Insight sales were up 40% in the first quarter of this year in the USA. When I have the time I will dig out a link to the article. However it is probably quite easy to get a 40% increase on the few sold the previous year....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hummer sales seem to be really booming here in SE PA. :( I see at least one or two a day, and I only drive about 5 miles. I almost got run over by a Suburban yesterday too. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess gas for the rich

I guess if you can afford to throw away your money on a hummer, then you have money to throw away on expensive gas. Only the rich will be driving. I guess money to burn. $3, $10/gallon, what do they care? :x

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Found the link - Honda Insight sales were up 41% in March, not the quarter. Generally encouraging signs here though:

http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=5025

"Honda Motor Co. said its sales were up 4 percent for the month, largely on the strength of the hybrid Honda Insight, which saw sales climb 41 percent, and the Ridgeline pickup, which was up 38 percent."

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Don't know about Hummers (though I haven't noticed either of my neighbor up the road's two going by recently), but I do believe there's now a Smart Car dealer in town! At least, I drove past a place with several parked out front in typical sales lot positions. Of course, since I'm used to seeing them in Europe, I was a block or two down the road before the penny dropped :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
The new model you saw at the Honda dealership is the new Honda Fit. It does indeed get better mpg than a civic but not close to an Insight. It will be Honda's entry level car as the civic once was. It will compete directly against Toyota's new Yaris, soon to be on showrrom floors. Sales should be brisk with gas prices high and also being reasonably priced and well equiped. Car and Driver has done a couple articles already. Should be another hit for Honda!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The Smart dealers opened up here about 2 years ago. Since then the damn things seem to have taken over. :) I probably see 50-60 a day in the city and quite a few more then I would expect on the highways.

Frankly I don't understand the Smart. Seems awfully impractical as I would have a problem fitting my laptop bag should I be carrying a passenger. Doesn't seem to get great mileage and is VERY slow (0-60 in 16 seconds!).

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm more interested in how the demand for Insights is going. Last year the sales were up over the previous year. I really hope that Honda hangs in there with the Insight.
If you want, keep an eye on eBay sales of Insights; not only the final selling price BUT how many bids were placed for the given vehicle.

If I'm not mistaken, the prices seem to be holding but the number of bids is definately cliimbing; i.e., more interest on the part of a few.

Fred

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Top speed of Smart = 80 MPH.

Maintenance costs = Mercedes.

Seating = on top of engine.

I'm puzzled by their success, but I'm glad to see that others besides Insight and Prius drivers are voting with their dollars. A cousin of mine in Switzerland has one. Perhaps I'll get some feedback.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I looked very seriously at the Smart.
Frankly, would have bought one if there had been a dealer nearby. And the little roadster is really neat, alas they stopped making it I guess. Not only that, they kept delaying the introduction into the California market for the regular Smart.
Frustrated, I started looking at hybrids. I found more and more reviews of Insights that were positive. Especially regarding the durability of the hybrid drive train. I was concerned about battery life especially. I hate the way the Prius looks, sorry Prii drivers ;)
Now I'm glad I couldn't get the Smart. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts