Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the auto show, yesterday. It's a "no-sell show" (no sales pitches) so I was free to sit in a lot of vehicles that I'm too cheap to buy. To be honest, I was disappointed and left hoping my G1 runs for a long, long time.

QUESTION: Does anybody else hate those stupid space-hogging center consoles that run between the front seats? My tiny, 2-seat puddle-jumper has far more room around the driver's seat than ANY of the vehicles I was in, including the HUGE pickups and SUVs!

The technology also makes me uncomfortable. Does the car-maker *really* need to know where my vehicle is at all times? If they know, who else does?

Maybe I'm just being and old [email protected] about things. I suspect I am.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe I'm an old fart too. I don't like new cars either. I even think the Insight is too fancy! But I'm working on simplifying it! I'm going to the Rochester NY auto show tomorrow. Mostly for the static shocks! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Old skool driver also.I think new technology is fine until we go too far from what an item was meant for.Phones for example to me are just to make calls but now do so much more- but look at the security issues,tracking,texting,etc.The new cars are evolving into more than a means to just travel from point (a)to point (b).Again to me,over complicated, items I do not want,information I do not want to share,and the prices are crazy high.But I am sure most people as they age treat technology as a threat but I think things nowadays ,many are to get me in line/controlled to follow in things I do not believe in.I grew up and like controlling my own path in life - unfortunately the freedom of our cars and many other things in life will all be gone soon.Amazing I made it this far - no seatbelts,impact bumpers,backup cameras,abs,navigation,anti roll,blue tooth,lane change alarms,etc ,with self driving coming soon.Great for some but I do not like giving away my life’s experiences and freedoms to others for technology I do not need.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
I agree also. My flip phone does all I need it to do.
Tech-knowledge came to fast for me. And I still drive a "stick" at 78 YO.
Now days we are being forced into using all the HI tech stuff. Whether we want it or not.
In vehicles it seems everyone now days wants more luxury and all the gizmos, but don't even know how to check air in a tire.
(MHO)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Technology will be really speeding up with 5g coming.So fast that people will not be able to keep up and we will all have to depend on the so called experts on what’s good and/or safe for everyone.SCAREY place we are rushing into.No thoughts -No freedoms -No thanks

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
QUESTION: Does anybody else hate those stupid space-hogging center consoles that run between the front seats?.... Maybe I'm just being and old [email protected] about things. I suspect I am.
I do, too. I sat in a new Insight a week or so ago and the bulbous console was one of the first things that irritated me... Same with any of the newer cars.

I'm also more or less inline with what others say above regarding technology in cars... It's hard to believe there isn't a market for minimalist styling, design, 'tech', etc. Or rather, I bet there IS a market (consider Tesla Model 3); it's just hard to believe manufacturers don't tap into it... I think the bottom line is that tech is an easy way to increase profit margins, similar to how trucks have larger profit margins than cars, so manufacturers and dealers find it hard to resist...

It's also interesting, ironic, that there's a lot of us who feel this way about new cars and tech, yet, we drive a sort of tech-y car. There's a finer, more subtle critique going on here. I think it's simply that we like, can appreciate, the technology that serves the core functionality of 'the car' - like the blend of economy and performance that gets us where we need to go (i.e. transportation), while we shun the superfluous (i.e. the living room/entertainment center on wheels)... I don't think this is the same as being an "old fart."

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I came away most impressed by, of all things, the low-end hatchbacks by Chevy. The Sonic and the Spark. One on display actually had wind-up windows which made me gleefully happy to spin up and down a few times.

Y'know, I drove a Prius C for a couple of years, at the time it was arguably one of Toyota's most technologically sophisticated cars, but the tech went to making the car better and it was, for the most part, seamless and unobtrusive.

That's what I like about the G1. The technology is *an intrinsic part* of the car and the car wouldn't exist without it.

The other thing. The "classic car" section was almost all '70s muscle cars. There was a year-one (1990?) Miata/MX5 there and, next to it, an empty space. I thought, maybe, next year, my G1 should sit in that spot!

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
the best they can offer

It appears that yes, that is all we can hope for.

deleted the other 5 paragraphs about electric cars and KW/mile, 5g and 95GHz spectum, 100mpg and the green economy, arithmetic and the last 2 dacades.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
To me, a new car is one that is at least 10 or more years old with a proven history. Let the consumers spend new car money to figure out whats reliable and I will buy one when its 10 or more years old.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I do, too. I sat in a new Insight a week or so ago and the bulbous console was one of the first things that irritated me... Same with any of the newer cars.

I'm also more or less inline with what others say above regarding technology in cars... It's hard to believe there isn't a market for minimalist styling, design, 'tech', etc. Or rather, I bet there IS a market (consider Tesla Model 3); it's just hard to believe manufacturers don't tap into it... I think the bottom line is that tech is an easy way to increase profit margins, similar to how trucks have larger profit margins than cars, so manufacturers and dealers find it hard to resist...

It's also interesting, ironic, that there's a lot of us who feel this way about new cars and tech, yet, we drive a sort of tech-y car. There's a finer, more subtle critique going on here. I think it's simply that we like, can appreciate, the technology that serves the core functionality of 'the car' - like the blend of economy and performance that gets us where we need to go (i.e. transportation), while we shun the superfluous (i.e. the living room/entertainment center on wheels)... I don't think this is the same as being an "old fart."
Some tech is for show and some tech is for go. Years ago Cadillac had a gadget on the dash to dim your headlights. It was a dud. There are numerous other examples. Our cars are tech-rich and it is all functional. Well, maybe the wobbly head dog on my dash is not functional, too much.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
I thought the wobbly head dog rode in the back. :)

Sam

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Some tech is for show and some tech is for go. Years ago Cadillac had a gadget on the dash to dim your headlights. It was a dud....
I actually think that would be a useful gadget. I'm surprised most cars don't have one by now -- though I seem to recall something about auto high beam dimming being a difficult thing to do right... My father had a 1960 Cadillac with one of those first auto dimming things. It never worked though. So yeah, that was some "years ago" for sure...

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Does anybody else hate those stupid space-hogging center consoles that run between the front seats? My tiny, 2-seat puddle-jumper has far more room around the driver's seat than ANY of the vehicles I was in, including the HUGE pickups and SUVs."

All has to do with safety and surviving crash and rollovers. That's why bench seats disappeared. Bucket seats and close confines minimize body movement in a crash and improve prospect of less injury.
Pete, in Tacoma WA

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ever pull a center console out of a car? The tabs holding it in aren't that strong. If your seatbelt wasn't holding you in with its automatic tensioner that center console won't do much of anything other than add to your bruise count.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Personally I like all the gizmos you can get in even a basic car like keyless entry by just walking up to a car.

I just don't like the way most drive and the poor visibility compared to older cars. I was surprised how much fun a 1989 V6 Camry is compared to modern cars. I never would have thought a stock Camry could be fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As soon as self driving cars take hold (sooner than the masses think), I'm expecting someone to start marketing hot rod and diy kits to convert older cars.. if the kit price is reasonable I'll be looking to convert an old cvt G1 to full autonomy. I can then get to my job as a robot oiler in true style...

·
Registered
972 Posts
As soon as self driving cars take hold (sooner than the masses think), I'm expecting someone to start marketing hot rod and diy kits to convert older cars.. if the kit price is reasonable I'll be looking to convert an old cvt G1 to full autonomy. I can then get to my job as a robot oiler in true style...
considering how expensive it is to develop the self driving systems I bet it will be some time after they become more common on mass produced vehicles. But I do agree, it's coming faster than most people think. I also think auto insurance companies are going to start charging more for people who don't have a self driving car. I bet at first they'll offer a small discount, then start charging more for non-self driving cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also think auto insurance companies are going to start charging more for people who don't have a self driving car. I bet at first they'll offer a small discount, then start charging more for non-self driving cars.
That's the key right there.. it will happen. Analog driving will end up being a rich man's hobby before being completely banned. My grandkids will listen to my stories of manually steering my Insight and think I grew up in caveman days.
I was really against the idea of self driving cars when I was younger. Now that I'm getting older and have a long commute it doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. I still enjoy driving, but humans have become seriously horrible drivers, even the sober ones that aren't checking their myface accounts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts