Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently been able to glean a few interesting details about the new Civic IMA being released in 2006:

Acceleration - 0-100 km/h is 11.3 seconds
Engine power - 116 bhp @ 6000 rpm and 125 lb / ft torque
683 miles per tank of fuel
Only available in CVT :shock: (apparently best way to manage efficiency of engine)
Engine able to close all four cylinders for short periods when cruising, driving on electric alone
A/C is powered by both belt and electric - switches itself between the most efficient choice
Available in new four door saloon body, which is wider and has a more muscular stance than existing model and is almost as big as Accord body.
MPG (American figures) 56 City, 54 Highway (Av. 55) which equals second Prius (60/51/55)

IMHO, I am disappointed it will not be (at least initially) available in the new Euro 5 door Civic shape. I suppose the good news is that the new Civic Hybrid does not thrash the Prius on economy figures so the Insight may survive a little longer.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I would be surprised if they make the effort for such a small number of cars. If someone did get an engine from a wreck and transplant it it would be extremely fun. I think we have to wait for a while. :wink:

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
B1shmu63 wrote:
I would be surprised if they make the effort for such a small number of cars.
I would like to see Honda make put the new engine on the Insight and call it Insight SI. :D

I'd snap one in a hearthbeat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMA for Accord

How come they do not make the Accord Hybrid shut down at lower speeds and run on electric power for better fuel economy like the new 2006 Civic hybrid? :lol:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Confusion reigns. From what I can figure out, the new HCH can "deactivate" the engine during low speed cruise. It's still going around, though...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dougie said:
?
Who says that's how the 2006 Civic works?
I gained the above facts from Honda UK at our Insight Owners Day. There have been various motoring press articles with the same details as well. As I understand it, 'deactivating' the engine allows for greater energy reclaim by the IMA as it reduces engine friction losses.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Up to a certain speed and distance driven the intake and outlet valves STAY CLOSED (thanks to the V Tec-System) and the vehicle can be driven with electric power only

1 - 10 of 10 Posts