Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That’s what I get for learning to drive stick on this car. She has about 77,000 Miles and was slipping a lot, so I popped for a whole new clutch assembly. There is no place but the dealership willing to work on an Insight. However I got a few other opinions at Transmission shops and they all said it was the whole assembly and to go to the dealer. They did it for $830 at Robertson Honda in North Hollywood, CA. Most other places are around $900-$1000.

Anyone else have to replace theirs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you know what is included in this assembly? I don't think one can assemble the clutch without the engine (flywheel). So how can they call it clutch assembly if it's just a collection of clutch parts? Maybe it's called "clutch kit"? Please clarify. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That’s what I get for learning to drive stick on this car. She has about 77,000 Miles and was slipping a lot...
It's not the first 1,000 miles of learning to drive stick that wore out your clutch. It's how you drove the last 76,000 miles that killed it....
:oops:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not just me, my sister also learned to drive stick on my Insight. I also just purchased it with 60,000 miles. So that would be how I drove it the last 16,000 miles and how the person before me did.

Honda calls it the "assembly" And yes, it was the flywheel, clutch plate, throw-out bearing, diaphragm, clutch plate and flywheel.

The parts were not just $100, Ha Ha. They came out to be $400, wholesale places could only get it for around that as well. Do it my self? I have no concept on how to work on a Japanese car and have better things to do with my time.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm getting about $650 list for a whole new assembly. This is a new flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, sensor disk, and pilot bearing. You could probably get away without replacing all of that. The clutch disk itself is only like $80. I guess you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to put all new stuff in there once the transmission is out of the car.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Did TEC not replace the clutch with a high-performance clutch when they installed the turbocharger? If not, I would expect that would be the major contributor, not the fact that you learned to drive standard on it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wow, since when do you need to replace a flywheel when installing a clutch? Normally you would just have them resurfaced (if that's even necessary). I agree with replacing the clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing for sure, but there's no way those parts are over $150.

I have no concept on how to work on a Japanese car and have better things to do with my time.
This whole statement confuses me...Isn't your car turbocharged?

G

·
0 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I agree with replacing the clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing for sure, but there's no way those parts are over $150.
Actually, they are.

Release Bearing: $41.67
Pressure Disk: $131.45
Friction Disk: $93.94
Total: $267.06

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
Clutch's

ALso if you add on the extra disc and (2) flywheels he got the price just got higher. Wonder how they installed two disc and 2 flywheels? In the same houseing? :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are you guys talking about? It is not that difficult. They replaced what I said. Trying to save those parts is like saving valve stems when you get new tires...you are just better off putting in new ones. $830 is what I paid. I dont know what you are trying to prove or get at. Of course the dealer is going to charge more for everything. They will also get is right and warranty their parts and labor. The other shops have to make money on parts too.

If you want to do it cheap and do it yourself go right ahead.

The Outsight is going to K&N and Eibach Springs Research and Development during the beginning of next year before TEC. I spoke with all of them at SEMA and we decided to do the other upgrades before the turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
"$830 ouch!", your words.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Release Bearing: $41.67
Pressure Disk: $131.45
Friction Disk: $93.94
Total: $267.06
Wow, those prices are impressive. $41 for a throwout bearing?!

I will admit that I have not actually looked them up myself, but I assume these are dealer prices?

Still, $267 is a far cry from $800. I guess that if you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself, you have no right to complain about the price of having someone else do it. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Aaron Cake said:

I will admit that I have not actually looked them up myself, but I assume these are dealer prices?
Yes, those are the "list" prices from Majestic Honda (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/). Their prices are about 25% below list, but a new clutch in an Insight is still gonna cost you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Those prices aren't that bad. Try forking out $215 on a throwout bearing for a 40 year old Porsche. Now that's "Ouch"! :shock:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Outsight said:
The Outsight is going to K&N and Eibach Springs Research and Development during the beginning of next year before TEC. I spoke with all of them at SEMA and we decided to do the other upgrades before the turbo.
So the turbo hasn't been installed yet? What was the cause of the "huge boost in power" you described in the "Pics of the Turbo Outsight" thread?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the $830 includes labor (maybe that was the confusion).

That "boost" Foxpaw was from the filter charger and exhaust I put on. It may only be 5-10 horses, but it feels like a lot on such a light car. Kind of like when your AC is on and you can feel the loss in HP from the compressor. Such small changes like those have a huge effect on the power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Trying to save those parts is like saving valve stems when you get new tires...you are just better off putting in new ones."

This is the flywheel & pressure plate you're talking about? That's more like putting on new brake disks, wheels, and tires whenever you change your brake pads :)

I've replaced dozens of clutches over the years, on everything from an Austin-Healey to a Peterbilt, and have never seen the need to replace pressure plate or flywheel, though I have had a number of parts people try to push a new PP on me. Can't say for sure, but it sounds an awful lot like they saw you coming :)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
If you have the K&N on now, why are you sending the vehicle to K&N? Seems more logically to put on the "turbo" then build everything around that installation, including the exhaust system That's the way I did mine. I had to build a special air cleaner for the turbo, which I have again modified. Now my air filter cost $10.95 vs. the $23.58 for a Honda type. Where are the pictures of the exaust system?........... :twisted:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.