Honda Insight Forum banner

New CR-Z Looks Great

7K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  stevenvillatoro 
#1 ·
Did you guys check out the CR-Z hybrid due out in 2010? They’re calling it the oxymoronic “sporty hybrid.”

I think it’s a great-looking car. I wish I had waited longer to buy this over my Gen II Insight, but I’m content with what I have. I can’t imagine myself in a sports car anyway, but it looks so fun to drive.

Was it announced what the MPG is going to be?

#3 ·
I don't like it myself. It just looks like they took the I1 and modernized it a bit - and, I'm not a fan of the I1 to begin with, so this doesn't do much for me.

#6 ·
It looks FANTASTIC. I don't see it as an updated I1 at all. Sure it is a two seat hybrid hatch but the goal is very different. The original I1 was aimed almost solely at high mpg. The CR-Z is more akin to the much loved CRX - a small and fun to drive coupe.

That said, I'm not sure why the hybrid drivetrain is included. The predicted mpg is 32-35 mpg. They could have gotten that and more power with a regular gas engine. It seems to be a hybrid only because hybrids are popular right now.

Someone could buy a VW GTI, Mini Cooper, Volve C30, etc for only a little more money than the predicted price of the CR-Z and get a car with a lot more power/performance and still get admirable fuel economy. Sadly, I can't see the CR-Z drawing in any new blood to Honda showrooms. Honda faithful will like/love it but that's not going to sell a ton of cars.

#8 ·
That car looks cool but I doubt it will not be a production model with those mirrors and door handles. Is this is just a teaser model to get the public excited? :-?

Aside from minor cosmetic changes (like the mirrors) this is what it will look like. This is how Honda always introduces cars. the last "concept" is 99% of what the production model will look like. Remember the Insight Concept?

EDIT - I just noticed no one posted a pic of the CURRENT concept model - Here it is

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Honda Announces Overview of Display for the 41st Tokyo Motor Show 2009

#9 ·
Beard, where did you see those mpg numbers?
I tried googling but only scanned about 3-4 pages.

I really like the looks of the current CR-Z concept. Can't wait to see new pics at the TAS.
I've owned 3 CRXs over the years, and even started an annual CRX meet out on the west coast circa '97-02, I liked them so much :)
I think the replacement is looking very nice....great lines.

I hope Honda gives the CR-Z some decent performance. I would definitely pick one up. Even the wife has agreed to sell her TSX and get the CR-Z when it arrives.

#10 · (Edited)
They were in one of the threads on Temple of Vtec. I'm not sure exactly how accurate they are but that site is usually pretty close.

It said that it would have about 130 hp and get 32-35 mpg.

AutoExpress lists the HP estimate - Hybrid CR-Z turns up heat | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

They also list 76 mpg but that is probably one of those European cycles that always look high.

#11 ·
I like the look of it, and the idea of a hybrid sports car. IF they get the performance right, it just might replace my S2000 as an autocross car.

I also wonder about the MPG claims so far... Remember my I2 that can get over 50 MPG was only SUPPOSED to get 41 MPG.

#12 ·
Thanks Beard

Do you know if it was just a person's response in a thread, or one of their main feature articles?
That would make a big difference in reporting accuracy.

I've been following the CR-Z news for the past 2 years, and hadn't seen any mpg estimates yet. So your previous post caught my eye.
Thanks for any info...

-EM

#13 ·
Sorry it took so long for me to reply and even more sorry I can't be of much help - I can't remember the exact source - VTEC or a random poster.

It caught my eye as well because it just does not seem impressive. It seems so UNimpressive in fact that I think it would render the vehicle virtually pointless, even with the great looks.

#17 ·
Yeah, I am seriously doubting the fuel economy is that low also. However, keep in mind that some vehicles like the Toyota Camry Hybrid don't get much better than 30 to 35 mpg either.. Mostly because they are heavier cars, less aerodynamic, and designed for performance rather than fuel economy. But, looking at the small size and the shape of the CR-Z, I'd have a hard time believing it couldn't achieve 35 mpg even without a hybrid drivetrain. I know I certainly wouldn't consider purchasing that vehicle if it couldn't at least get fuel economy on par with the Insight, and preferably better than the Insight.

Anyway, I've already decided I'm holding out for the Nissan Leaf, so I probably won't be buying another hybrid after my Insight anyway..

#16 ·
Move to Florida; they don't have front plates;)

Hmm, height is a problem, maybe remove the front seat and sit in the back??:)

#21 ·
The CR-Z looks great but I have to worry what the Toyota FT-86 will do to it.

Yes the CR-Z is a hybrid and will get better mileage (please give us some estimates Honda!!!) but with only 130 hp it certainly is not going to whip your head back. I'm also thinking it will be priced above an Insight - probably in the mid $20ks.

The FT-86 looks great too, is said to have about 200 hp and will start at $20k. If it has the Subaru engine it may not get very good mpg though.

The FT-86 wins on everything but (probably) mpg. I don't think that people looking at two seat coupes are really all that concerned with mpg as long as it isn't ridiculously low.

Of course, we've seen Toyota come in and make claims (Prius starting price) that never materialized in order to steel the thunder out from Honda so the FT-86 might just be a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

What gives Honda the edge is the earlier predicted release date of the CR-Z. Of course I'm sure Toyota wants people to see the FT-86 concept and think, "Maybe I'll hold off and see the Toyota."

#22 ·
Yes the CR-Z is a hybrid and will get better mileage (please give us some estimates Honda!!!) but with only 130 hp it certainly is not going to whip your head back.
Actually, a lot of that will depend on the hybrid configuration. How much of that 130 HP is going to be from an electric motor? I guarantee you a 130 HP pure-electric could whip your head back at the right voltage. Obviously, with Honda's history of IMA there is a good chance that the electric motor will probably be less than 20 HP, but you never know..

#23 ·
OK, thats twice someone has said 2-seater. The CR-Z is a 2 + 2 midgets (ie, four seater). I for one will most likely get one the first year.

#24 ·
OK, thats twice someone has said 2-seater. The CR-Z is a 2 + 2 midgets (ie, four seater).
For two years, I have looked extensively online for the *definitive* answer to the 2/4 seat CRZ question. As yet, I've still only found conflicting rumors and doubts, made even more uncertain by the most-recent concept intro. There was at least one 4-seat CRZ concept, and the rear seat was allegedly fairly roomy. I hope Honda learned this lesson based on its CRX and Insight I experiences, and adds the extra two buckets in the back.

#25 ·
I have probably 20 pics of the Jap production version and there are definatly 4 seats

#28 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.