Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
The CR-Z looks great but I have to worry what the Toyota FT-86 will do to it.

Yes the CR-Z is a hybrid and will get better mileage (please give us some estimates Honda!!!) but with only 130 hp it certainly is not going to whip your head back. I'm also thinking it will be priced above an Insight - probably in the mid $20ks.

The FT-86 looks great too, is said to have about 200 hp and will start at $20k. If it has the Subaru engine it may not get very good mpg though.

The FT-86 wins on everything but (probably) mpg. I don't think that people looking at two seat coupes are really all that concerned with mpg as long as it isn't ridiculously low.

Of course, we've seen Toyota come in and make claims (Prius starting price) that never materialized in order to steel the thunder out from Honda so the FT-86 might just be a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

What gives Honda the edge is the earlier predicted release date of the CR-Z. Of course I'm sure Toyota wants people to see the FT-86 concept and think, "Maybe I'll hold off and see the Toyota."

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes the CR-Z is a hybrid and will get better mileage (please give us some estimates Honda!!!) but with only 130 hp it certainly is not going to whip your head back.
Actually, a lot of that will depend on the hybrid configuration. How much of that 130 HP is going to be from an electric motor? I guarantee you a 130 HP pure-electric could whip your head back at the right voltage. Obviously, with Honda's history of IMA there is a good chance that the electric motor will probably be less than 20 HP, but you never know..

·
Registered
416 Posts
OK, thats twice someone has said 2-seater. The CR-Z is a 2 + 2 midgets (ie, four seater). I for one will most likely get one the first year.

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK, thats twice someone has said 2-seater. The CR-Z is a 2 + 2 midgets (ie, four seater).
For two years, I have looked extensively online for the *definitive* answer to the 2/4 seat CRZ question. As yet, I've still only found conflicting rumors and doubts, made even more uncertain by the most-recent concept intro. There was at least one 4-seat CRZ concept, and the rear seat was allegedly fairly roomy. I hope Honda learned this lesson based on its CRX and Insight I experiences, and adds the extra two buckets in the back.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have probably 20 pics of the Jap production version and there are definatly 4 seats

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have probably 20 pics of the Jap production version and there are definatly 4 seats
That is an excellent sign. Would you please post a few good pics here or contact me via my website to send directly? I cannot wait to get my CRZ, based on your info.

(What other clandestine information do you have on the car???)

·
Registered
416 Posts
That is an excellent sign. Would you please post a few good pics here or contact me via my website to send directly? I cannot wait to get my CRZ, based on your info.

(What other clandestine information do you have on the car???)
There are many places on the web. Unfortunatly I can't remember exactly where I got most of my pictures as I have been collecting them for at least a year. Just as an example:

"The Honda CR-Z (Compact Renaissance Zero) is a gasoline-electric hybrid automobile developed and produced by Honda. The CR-Z was first introduced as a concept car by Honda CEO Takeo Fukui on October 23, 2007 at the 2007 Tokyo Auto Show. Fukui further announced that a production model is "in the works" and that the car is intended to be "sporty, incredibly efficient and inexpensive". Aside from the fact that it will use Honda's Integrated Motor Assist system, the specifications of CR-Z's drive train are unknown.

The four-seat CR-Z is regarded as the spiritual successor to the second generation Honda CR-X in both name and design. The CR-Z will feature 19-inch wheels, lightweight seats, and blue neon-lit gauges.

According to Automotive News Europe, Honda plans to roll out the production CR-Z in 2009 or 2010, first in Europe before expanding production and distribution to the rest of the world. The CR-Z is expected to cost approximately €25,000 (with higher-trim models retailing up to €28k) and be primarily geared towards the European market. Because of the vehicle's importance on that continent, Mark Turner of Honda UK says that Europe will have a great deal of influence on the final design of the vehicle."

Quote taken from here.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks very much. Funny thing, I just came across the post on Temple of VTEC with this photo and other good non-stock photos of the production car. Was going to post it myself until you saved me the trouble. Nice work, and thanks again.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts