Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can now ship you a loaner junction board that will let you drive your Insight without its' battery. This means that your car won't be down while we fix it.

Here is a picture of an Insight with the board installed. It drives normally (okay, it's a little pokey without assist, but it runs fine). It starts with the starter and does not auto-stop. The 12V battery is kept charged and the Electronic Power Steering works properly.

One caveat, your 12V battery must be in decent shape. Under normal use, the 12V battery can be on its' last legs and the car will still work. With this mod, the battery has to be able to perform like one in any normal car.

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Ron

Presumably you are also sending them the end off an old battery case so the board bolts to it and to the floor as normal. Also something to support/stop that BCM/MCM flapping around!!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron

Presumably you are also sending them the end off an old battery case so the board bolts to it and to the floor as normal. Also something to support/stop that BCM/MCM flapping around!!
Good point, but a piece of tape will do the job more easily. The junction board won't move, so just taping the MCM down will solve the problem.

The BCM must be unplugged for this to work.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thats the "black" thing with two orange wires (car aft looking fwd) behind the other "black" thing with two orange wires?:D

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the "black" thing with two orange wires (car aft looking fwd) behind the other "black" thing with two orange wires?:D
It's the black thing that runs aft to forward with the three sets of orange wires attached. It is the black board left of the empty space.

Sorry if I was confusing.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting...

Today a customer drove up to me from Virginia with his battery switch off. The car kept the 12V charged.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
so no need for the junction board, disconnecting BCM, or even opening up the IMA Box ? To drive it as a regular car, we just turn the switch off? :confused: That seems pretty neat and convenient.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so no need for the junction board, disconnecting BCM, or even opening up the IMA Box ? To drive it as a regular car, we just turn the switch off? :confused: That seems pretty neat and convenient.
Please feel free to give it a shot. Worst case you have to unplug the BCM.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
Hook a 12V battery gauge to the 12V socket (Cig. lighter), Or use a scan gauge to monitor the charging to the 12V battery.

Willie

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember that the 12V battery only gets charged occasionally (when it needs it) or when there is a large current draw (like the headlights). Otherwise, you'll only see 12V

Hook a 12V battery gauge to the 12V socket (Cig. lighter), Or use a scan gauge to monitor the charging to the 12V battery.

Willie

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Remember that the 12V battery only gets charged occasionally (when it needs it) or when there is a large current draw (like the headlights). Otherwise, you'll only see 12V
yes, thats why I was wondering if there is a sure way to know if the 12v is being charged. I suppose i'll try driving with lighhts/radio on, to put a heavy load on the 12v, and try to check if/when it charges with the IMA switch off.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Where is this so called battery switch?
If you pull up the carpet in the back of the car on the aluminum case there is a small cover, take that small cover off and you have the battery switch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
bcm plug

When I turned of the switch under the back carpet the car would not start.
Would like to try disconnecting the BCM switch. Where exactlly is that. Pics would be great. IMA battery is in good shape just need to be able to tell a potential buyer that the car can run without the IMA.

How long could a guy run the car this way and not cause any damage.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I turned of the switch under the back carpet the car would not start.
Would like to try disconnecting the BCM switch. Where exactlly is that. Pics would be great. IMA battery is in good shape just need to be able to tell a potential buyer that the car can run without the IMA.

How long could a guy run the car this way and not cause any damage.

Thank you
If you heard a click-click from the front, then your grounding straps are bad and the starter isn't getting enough power. Turning off the switch should force the car to start using the starter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
up and running without hybrid battery

Tighten the battery straps and guess what the car started with the battery switch off. I noticed that above 4000rpm the battery light came on meaning I assume that the battery was not charging. Light went off after a 30 seconds or so of unde 4k rpm driving. The IMA light and engine light both orange in color came on and stayed on however. Is that to be expected.

So is any harm going to come of this set up? I would like to drive it this way for a tank or so and check MPG. I anticipate my 80 percent highway driving milage will go up, right.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I noticed that above 4000rpm the battery light came on meaning I assume that the battery was not charging. Light went off after a 30 seconds or so of unde 4k rpm driving. The IMA light and engine light both orange in color came on and stayed on however. Is that to be expected.
This is normal behaviour, but it should be above 3000 not 4000.

So is any harm going to come of this set up? I would like to drive it this way for a tank or so and check MPG. I anticipate my 80 percent highway driving milage will go up, right.
You won't harm the car. The normal rules about not parking the car for any length of time apply, because the battery is now "parked".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts