Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got one for free from my local yard and threw it on the Insight a while back for kicks. It fits fine and plugs right into the Insight wire harness (the plug direction is almost identical to the Insight). It is from the 1998-2002 Accord four cylinder 2.3L engine. Worked perfect for lean burn and all other driving. I have been using it for a few months just to make sure.

Not a single problem.

OEM Part #: 18710-PAA-A01
Standard Motor Products #: EGV980
Parts Geek #: 5981-01174093

They are available from the aftermarket for ~$80-90 NEW with free shipping (or $55 on eBay):

1998-2002 Honda Accord EGR Valve - Air Intake - OEQ 98-02 Accord EGR Valve - 5981-01174093 - PartsGeek

Used ones are $25 on eBay:

1999 Accord EGR valve | eBay

You're welcome :cool:

Attachments

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
It is from the 1998-2002 Accord 2.3L engine. Worked perfect for lean burn and all other driving. I have been using it for a few months just to make sure.
I wonder whether its potentiometer wiper is oriented like that in the Insight model that seems to wear out the carbon potentiometer tracks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks a lot Jeff. I ordered one.

Last year, I clean the EGR on my father accord 98, I tough it looks like my insight one, but I never really check.

Finally a working solution!

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great question. Now, if we can get somebody to open one up and take a look. ;)
They are not serviceable like the Insight ones. If you open one up, you're not getting it back together. That outer metal ring that holds the top sensor on the plunger assembly is machine crimped on. No way that I can see to get it off without cutting it.

I wonder if the aftermarket ones will handle lean burn properly. Fingers crossed!

-Bryan
Fair question. I have only used an OEM variant, but I would hope the aftermarket is the same. Time will tell . . .

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Thanks for the research, Jeff. That's great!

By the way your first link points to an EGR valve for the V6. Looks the same but I cross-referenced at Rockauto and they have different part numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the research, Jeff. That's great!

By the way your first link points to an EGR valve for the V6. Looks the same but I cross-referenced at Rockauto and they have different part numbers.
Thanks for the heads up. I deleted the first link to avoid any confusion. The brand news ones for $55 on eBay seem to be the best deal I can find.

·
Registered
46 Posts
NOOB question...
I am a new owner driving on gas until Bumblebee battery gets here.
I never get more than 50 mpg showing when on level highway at cruise 65-70mph
I have no error codes- 272000 mile engine. All seems to be running well.
Am I not getting lean burn? could old EGR limit this without codes?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think that the 4 cyl is EGV980

6 cyl is EGV658.

I ordered the wrong one in ebay. I hope the seller will respond.

Be carefull, the one at 55$ fro ebay are for the V6. For the 4 cyl it is 125$ . They look the same. I don't know what is the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NOOB question...

Thanks!
Jeff
You cannot get lean burn while running gas only. Once you get your MaxIMA installed, then you should be able to get into LB.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Will this work on CVT as well?

·
Registered
737 Posts
NOOB question...

Thanks!
Jeff
You cannot get lean burn while running gas only. Once you get your MaxIMA installed, then you should be able to get into LB.
Also, to add to Jeff's comment, you will be hard pressed to get lean burn going 65-70 mph. Even if you can, it wouldn't take much to knock you out of it.

·
7,200 Posts
Interesting that their internal construction is different and not repairable. First thing I thought of as well, maybe the pot wipers are in the correct orientation.

Someone should seriously give Honda a heads up somehow. Someone goofed the exploded assembly diagram or something, because there is no way that it's right. Nobody has noticed because they still work for quite a long time? It's really mind boggling.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice find! Man I wish this thread had been posted a week earlier! I just purchased a new one for $175 plus shipping, the cheapest price I could find. Works great, but that $100 would have been far happier in my wallet instead of the Honda parts dealer.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts