Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed both oils on my MT and it seems to hold the car back since then a Little bit. Does a new oils need to be 'broken-in'? I've never heard of that. The engine oil had 15k miles, the MT oil 35k on them. Of course, I've used the same stuff as before.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Unlikely , though if any car would show up a miniscule change like that it is the Insight . Much more likely that another factor like temperature or air pressure has changed in the meantime . The Insight is just too sensitive to changes of any kind to draw conclusions in a short space of time .

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've to admit that it has been raining slightly during the oil change. But the road still had dry spots. It was a few degrees colder.

·
6,932 Posts
Other factors involved. New oil is definitely more slippery than old. But really, unless you were WAY overdue for an oil change, you aren't going to detect a difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
The rain and cooler weather will give you more of a hit than the oil. The oil won't change anything unless you changed viscosity.

Sam

I've to admit that it has been raining slightly during the oil change. But the road still had dry spots. It was a few degrees colder.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've changed both oils on my MT and it seems to hold the car back since then a Little bit. Does a new oils need to be 'broken-in'? I've never heard of that. The engine oil had 15k miles, the MT oil 35k on them. Of course, I've used the same stuff as before.
If the engine oil was over-filled, that will certainly reduce the mpg in the Insight. Otherwise, the only other thing would be using something thicker than 0W-20.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Other factors involved. New oil is definitely more slippery than old. But really, unless you were WAY overdue for an oil change, you aren't going to detect a difference.
The duration of my oil changes, typically being over the recommended 7500 mile interval in the summer, have not had a difference in viscosity that would matter. Gearbox oil would have a bigger difference and I did notice an improvement when I switched my 1st Insight from stock fluid to a synthetic, especially in cold weather. I used Amsoil MTF because it was the only synthetic I could find locally that was closely matched to the spec and also didn't have bad behavior in regards to the synchros when used in a previous car.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did an oil test at Blackstone with 10k miles before winter and they've told me to that I can use it 5k more which I did. The only reason I can think of is that 0W/20 sheared to be thinner than new.
The same Argument can hold for the gearbox oil.

But in my scenario the environmental variables were not stable enough. I'll see in a few days when it gets warmer and I'll drive my 'reference' route.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Maybe a "psychological thing"?
Seems like every time I get a new pair of sneakers (tennis shoes), my mileage suffers for a short period of time?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it was not psychological. It was clearly noticable that the speed didn't raise slightly in LB with 40 mph on the same street as it did with the old oil two hours ago. I've MIMA and couldn't see any Background Charge going on.

It could be that the new oil was not as warm as the old one and the wheater was a Little bit colder due to the light rain. But again, you only notice such differences in an I1.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on this one: it was mostly related to the Change in weather during the oil Change. It was warmer today and it feels like before.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Thanks for the closure.
I wish more people would do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts