Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,867 Posts
Maybe a side benefit is more aluminum qualified body shops. Maybe we reach a day when it doesn't cost half the value of a Gen 1 to replace a dented door:)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Aluminum frame?!?!?!?

"Ford is going to announce in a couple of weeks that the next F-150 will have a body made mostly of aluminum instead of steel in a bid to save weight, and thus gas"

Interesting they say they need to loose 700 lbs to meet the new mpg requirements.

·
Registered
894 Posts
And so continues the upward spiral of new car/truck prices.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
And so continues the upward spiral of new car/truck prices.
… to be offset in the long run by lower fuel costs. I love the extensive use of aluminum in my Insight and wish that my i-MiEV used as much aluminum.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have been hearing about how aluminum cars will someday be as cheap as steel due to new forming methods that just need mass production to bring them forth for at least 20 years. Hopefully ford jumping ahead with aluminum trucks will get the ball rolling for cheap light strong aluminum and composite vehicles becomming common as opposed to rare and expensive. The only sad part of this is that OLD 1 ton fords were stronger, more durable, had at least the same weight capacity as newer models but somehow weighed less than todays ford, they were also more aerodynamic and easier to load. No idea why the trucks weight has had to increase so much while payload has been more or less stagnant. My old 80's 6.2 diesel suburban with its 26mpg highway seems to outpace more modern offering at least on fuel economy, though many folks who put mud tires on the things and jack them up also set new lows.

Ah well.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive always wondered that myself. We have had many light weight fuel efficient vehicles. The current gen 2 insight weighs 3600 lbs +- a few. Thats more than my 4wd 5 door suzuki sidekick lxj. :confused:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
to see the changes. While, I am not in the market (or have the need) for a fullsize truck, I do like the fact that Ford is switching to aluminum to save weight and increase fuel economy. The market for full size trucks is massive and considering Ford and others are catering to contractors, small businesses as well as the weekend warriors, the net benefit of even a slight increase of MPG will be greatly felt.

Also, since the F150 is Ford's bestselling vehicle, the consumer will benefit as the economies of scale as in reduced cost of aluminum production and stamping processes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I cut off my own post.

I am glad to see the changes and also credit to Ford for secretly running their aluminum F150 in the Baja 1000 (to torture test the platform) and then have it displayed openly at the N.American International Auto Show recently. Hiding in plain sight.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I find it ironic that the f150 is the most popular and seller for ford. In my area and the past few areas Ive lived in I would guessed a honda civic, nissan sentry or a toyota camry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts