Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an e-mail that explains how the state of Oregon wants to impliment a tax for fuel on miles driven as oppossed to gallons purchased. This gives them the oppertunity to collect more tax money from people who drive more fuel efficient cars. Are you as outragged as I.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=16766

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just another way to keep the big SUV's on the road... The big heavy gas guzzlers are tearing the road up much more quickly than our 1800 lb fuel efficient cars in the 1st place. Anyway, I'm not sure if they'll ever be able to do it as the arcticle said, the cost of data loggers is very high. With the oil shortage coming in the not to distant future, why would they not want to encourage alternate fuel or more efficient vehicles?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I suppose this is getting off into politics, but is there ANY limit to the stupid ideas public officials can dream up? Of course none of them can think of the obvious solution: if the current tax rate isn't producing enough revenue to maintain the roads, raise it until it is!

As for the idea that that'd make gas too expensive, bull. People here in Switzerland pay something over $5/gallon (1.5? Swiss francs per liter, from what I've noticed on gas stations), and it doesn't seem to bother them at all,

·
Registered
338 Posts
and give tax breaks to SUVs and NOT hybrids!

Bush wouldn't make money off hybrids......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Disproportional taxation without representation?

If Oregon levys a disproportional tax on fuel efficient vehicles, maybe we'll have to have our next rally / road meeting up in Oregon, and do like the critical mass bicycle riders do, and take over the freeways!
Might be some bad press, initially, but it wouldn't do to let it go by.
Berk, in a used 2000 getting ~ 58 mpg in rainy wx & mtn terrain.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Isn't Oregon the state that doubled registation fees for hybrids to "compensate" for the reduced fuel tax income?

Does anyone know if Oregon happens to be the home of some of the big guys of the oil industry?

·
Registered
53 Posts
the state that doubled registation fees for hybrids?

Oooo. The skullduggery of Hybrid suppression!
I'd love to hear definative info on these rumors - I'm in radio, and this sounds like the germ of a talk show subject!
Any reliable sources for this info?
Thanks, Berk
Used 2000, ~ 58 mpg in mtn terrain

·
Registered
27 Posts
April 1 article?

I'm surprised no one seemed to notice that this article (pointed to in the first post in this topic) was published on April 1st.

:)

Steve

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well, so? It's not as though there haven't been similar proposals sent out on different dates.

Knowing something of Oregon, I don't have any trouble thinking that it's serious. Remember, this is the state that for a long time (and possibly still - I haven't been there in a while) made it illegal for people to pump their own gas.

And then (according to a former co-worker) there was the time their state legislature was considering a bill to outlaw all sources of radiation in the state. He was an engineer with one of the state agencies, and was called to testify. "So you want to outlaw ALL radiation? Well, OK, but you're going to have problems when it comes to turning off the sun."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts