Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I sold my G1 and purchased a '10 G2 with NAV, I have a couple of questions.

1 Is there a way to get factory Bluetooth audio? I really dont want to use the AUX input and the usb input doesnt work well with Spotify.....

2.? Is the factory NAV unit backup camera capable?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Need help with G2

Hello all! I sold my G1 and purchased a '10 G2 with NAV, I have a couple of questions.

1 Is there a way to get factory Bluetooth audio? I really dont want to use the AUX input and the usb input doesnt work well with Spotify.....

2.? Is the factory NAV unit backup camera capable?

Thanks in advance!

Any help? Anyone out there :)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Bluetooth audio not possible.

There may be input adapters for rear camera integration, but they seem kind of expensive. (Like over $200.)

The nav unit in the 2010-2011 Insights was one that Honda had already been using for several years. It was partially obsolete when they started using it. In those model years you had to opt for the Nav just to get Bluetooth for phone calls. (This became standard in EX models starting in 2012)

Be thankful you at least have a USB connection! If, like my wife, you like having your device out, you can get a flat USB cable. That or just cut a notch into the console for the cable to pass through.

By the way, with our iPhones the unit will sometimes complain "device not suppported" but it works anyway.

Electronic technology just evolves too fast for auto manufacturers, especially one as stubborn as Honda. They design a dash around a unit and will not make any changes for the length of the model run. Even the Nav upgrade in 2012 really just added real time traffic, not wireless music/podcast connection..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grrrr

Bluetooth audio not possible.

There may be input adapters for rear camera integration, but they seem kind of expensive. (Like over $200.)

The nav unit in the 2010-2011 Insights was one that Honda had already been using for several years. It was partially obsolete when they started using it. In those model years you had to opt for the Nav just to get Bluetooth for phone calls. (This became standard in EX models starting in 2012)

Be thankful you at least have a USB connection! If, like my wife, you like having your device out, you can get a flat USB cable. That or just cut a notch into the console for the cable to pass through.

By the way, with our iPhones the unit will sometimes complain "device not suppported" but it works anyway.

Electronic technology just evolves too fast for auto manufacturers, especially one as stubborn as Honda. They design a dash around a unit and will not make any changes for the length of the model run. Even the Nav upgrade in 2012 really just added real time traffic, not wireless music/podcast connection..

yeah I was hoping for the control over Bluetooth....It does play and allow me to control my iphone via USB so I can live with that.. any Idea where I can get those BU camera adapters?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Just Google Honda Navigation back up camera adapter and do some reading. According to the 8th generation Civic forum the units like ours lack an input and circuits that the CRV units (that look exactly the same) seem to have. You have to keep in mind that your typical Insight owner is pathologically cheap and therefore little modding is done. If such features were that important to you, buying an LX or Ex and adding a screen head unit would have been the way to go. There were discussions early on about obtaining the dash part that held a double din unit. Like I said, try to be happy you can make phone calls in an integrated manner and can obtain the quality audio a usb connection affords.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm also looking for options for a backup camera, but I'll likely go the cheap Chinese gadget way.

Got a 32 GB USB stick in my USB port, but I would prefer our 8GB iPod nano for ease with playing lists etc... but I would have to redo its lists. And I do not drive with music that often anymore.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
I got a backup camera for my wife's G1 on Amazon for less than $20. The head unit was already camera-ready and all I had to do was wire it up.

Sam

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The problem is all the various head units used. Model years are different, countries are different. Even if they look the same on the front, the rear connections can be different. Honda uses a rear view mirror display on models that don't have screens on their current "every model has a rear view camera"

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you cant get the stock head unit to take a video in for the reversing camera, you could install audible reverse sensors that don't require drilling the rear bumper...

Car Electromagnetic parking sensor no drill/hole Car Reverse Parking Radar Senso | eBay

My '10 I2 also has Nav, but the head unit is old by today's standards, lacks modern norms in compatibility (Android/ apple car) and the UI is clunky as hell. I've not thought it worthwhile to spend money updating the maps, and if I wanted reversing aid - i'd likely go down the electromagnetic parking aid route - it looks like you may not even need to take the bumper off to fit.

All in all, the nav unit wasn't something I really wanted - it was leather - which is part of that trim level in Europe I beleive, as I got fed up of cleaning baby puke off absorbent fabric seats!

Slightly off topic, but call me old fashioned - but I used to prefer cars that had license plates on the bumper, rather than the tailgate - it made wiring in any additional stuff so much easier... rant over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a aftermarket kit on Amazon that is the mirror that clips over the existing one I'm gonna see if There is a way to get it installed fairly easily I too don't want to drill any holes and would like it to look decent so we will see. My concern with the aftermarket head unit is that I would lose the voice controls for the navigation on the steering wheel. I know that I can use an adapter to get the steering will controls for audio but I haven't been able to find anything about the navigation buttons. So if this mirror back up camera works this would be the ideal solution for now since so far my iPhone is working via USB. My biggest problem now is just the incredibly uncomfortable seats. I drive about 900 miles a week as I have 150 mile a day commute that means I spend about 3 1/2 to 4 hours each day in the car. The past week has left my back in almost excruciating pain and I'm actually thinking about trading the car in because the seats are so uncomfortable I tried a little wedge pillow but it doesn't seem to be helping at all. Does anyone know anyway to modify the active head restraint to take off some of the pressure on my lumbar area?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I got the back up kit today and I was able to get power to it by using the overhead dome light because it is a mirror unit but it seems like that overhead dome light where the factory microphone is has power full time which I'm worried about draining my battery. What's the easiest place to get a switched 12 V power source what about the overhead domelight in the middle of the car?. Also what's the best way to access the reverse light wires the camera that I have bolts to the license plate.... I realize because of the way the unit is I'm gonna have some wires visible but I'm trying to minimize that I got a wireless unit so I don't have to run the video cable the entire length of the car but the transmitter and receiver both do have to have power. So I'm thinking I could just power the transmitter with the reverse light circuit and then the receiver with some sort of switched power I found out how to remove the light assembly but I'm confused as the best way to run power to the license plate without it looking ugly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
CSteacher
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing