Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - my first post on the forum for a car that I bought 4 months ago and has been running fine up until today. The car is a UK registered Citrus MT with 3 owners and only 43K miles from new. The car had been laid up and covered only 2K miles over the past 11 years (!)

With the help of retepsnikrep (thanks Peter) I viewed the car and although we had some concerns about the car; not least whether the IMA battery would recover, I decided to buy the car and drive 350 miles home to Scotland. Before setting off, Peter fitted a mains charger/discharger and sent me off with instructions on how to bring the battery back to life when I got home.

Long story short, I set off home, stopped for petrol and the car was completely dead when I tried to start it up. 12 hours later I arrived home at 2am courtesy of 3 different breakdown trucks.

The dead car was brought back to life over the next week by replacing all earth straps in the engine bay (thanks to this forum and Peter again) - the earth from the battery was the main issue.

After charging and discharging the IMA per Peter's instructions I started to use the car and everything seemed to be functioning properly. The battery showed a charge about 2 bars below max and the battery assist and stop/start functions all worked well. Over 1,500 miles of mixed driving the car was consistently returning 70-80 MPG.

Two weeks ago, the car went in to my local garage to have all the fluids changed and to fix out an idle issue which was causing the revs on idle to fluctuate between 800 and 1200RPM. I got the car back and took it out for a 10-mile spin where I felt that it was driving a lot better. Since then it has been out for a couple of 20 mile runs and all was okay.

It had been in my garage for about 10 days and today when I started the car it seemed to labour when starting (possibly starting from the 12V rather than IMA)? The engine light stayed on and the IMA lit up and stayed on. I checked the owner’s manual and it suggests that it's okay to run it gently with the engine light on for a few trips and the light may possibly go out after 2 or 3 trips.

I took the car for a fairly gentle 20 mile run where it returned 84 MPG. During the trip, the engine and IMA lights were on, the battery charge showed only one bar (previously showing 2 bars from full) and there was no assist from the IMA or charging of the IMA showing on the dash.

When I got back home, I plugged in the discharger supplied by Peter which allowed me to take a measurement of the IMA battery and it looks like it is showing 144V. I’ve connected the IMA to the mains charger and will leave overnight and check in the morning.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should start to try and diagnose what is going on?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,203 Posts
Have your 12V battery LOAD TESTED. If it fails get a new one.
First thing to do with the delicate IMA system.
Your short runs aren't enough to keep the 12V battery functional.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have your 12V battery LOAD TESTED. If it fails get a new one.

First thing to do with the delicate IMA system.

Your short runs aren't enough to keep the 12V battery functional.

HTH

Willie

Thanks Willie

I had the 12V load tested about 3 months ago and was okay - will have it checked again.

The recent 20 mile runs were unusual - previously 80-90 miles on a run when the car was running okay.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
I took the car for a fairly gentle 20 mile run where it returned 84 MPG. During the trip, the engine and IMA lights were on, the battery charge showed only one bar (previously showing 2 bars from full) and there was no assist from the IMA or charging of the IMA showing on the dash
Here in U.S. auto parts stores have code readers and will read the engine codes for free. Not sure about U.K. but you might give that a try.

If not, you can read the subcodes by using method in this link:

Reading the blink codes - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist

That will usually give you enough information to figure out the problem. I fear that your IMA battery may simply have lived out its days, but hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here in U.S. auto parts stores have code readers and will read the engine codes for free. Not sure about U.K. but you might give that a try.

If not, you can read the subcodes by using method in this link:

Reading the blink codes - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist[/url]

That will usually give you enough information to figure out the problem. I fear that your IMA battery may simply have lived out its days, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks jime - I'll look into getting a code reader.

Update is that after mains charging overnight, the IMA battery seems to be back in action. IMA light is out and charging and assist is working when driving the car.

The engine light remains on however, so looks like I still have issues that need to be resolved.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unhook the 12 volt for several minutes ,than let it find its new state of charge.

Thanks, I tried this today and when I reconnect the 12V battery and start up, the IMA and Engine lights have both gone out.

However, the level of charge for the IMA battery was showing as one bar rather than the 80% that it was previously. I put it on mains charge for 5-6 hours and everything seems to be back to normal!

I'll run it for a while and see what happens - I think there might still be some gremlins in there.

Bill

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The one bar charge is normal,after idling for 10 minutes it will return to its new state of charge,,all should be good. I'd wait to see if you need more charging before just doing it.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
It had been in my garage for about 10 days and today when I started the car it seemed to labour when starting (possibly starting from the 12V rather than IMA)? The engine light stayed on and the IMA lit up and stayed on.
I have found that if a car with a marginal battery is allowed to sit for a week or two between uses, it will exhibit symptoms you are describing. Eventually that week or two drops to days, and soon after, will do that all the time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have found that if a car with a marginal battery is allowed to sit for a week or two between uses, it will exhibit symptoms you are describing. Eventually that week or two drops to days, and soon after, will do that all the time.

Thanks atikovi.

Wine you mention marginal battery do you mean IMA or 12V battery?

·
Administrator
12,624 Posts
Glad you got it going..
Sounds like the lay up has caused/ is causing the elderly ima battery to go out of balance..

Grid charge it again for a minimum of 24 hrs, then disconnect the 12v battery for thirty seconds and reset the system. Then start it and let it idle until charge goes up to 19 bars.

The car needs to be driven at least twice a week or this may/will recur..

Unfortunately you can't use the paperclip blink code trick on UK cars, they don't have the right wires in the OBDII socket.

You really need an OBDIIC&C type code reader that can read IMA codes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Peter, I will do that and see what happens. I also need to get a reader and we can see what's going on with the IMA.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts