Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my ground straps broke in a period of 2 years. 2 years ago I used a new honda wire and repaired the other one.
Then of course my IMA battery died in midtown manhattan and I accidentally stalled the car out in the middle of the street in traffic and luckily I was able to push my car by myself and jump in and drop the clutch to start it. Surprised it started at such low speed.

I just can not believe these ground straps can break so easily.

I decided to replace it with a 4AWG wire I had laying around. This wire is called superflex or ultra flexible cable, it is very thin hairs of cable and it is extremely flexible.

I am hoping this will last longer than the cable honda used?

What do you guys think about using this thicker 4awg cable? Since I had the wire already made it is a bit long but I don't think that will be an issue? Do you think this will last more than 2 years or will it probably break again? Hopefully being longer will help the sharp bends in the wire where one of the old ones seemed to have broken at.

You can see both ground straps broken here: The lower one you can see broken if you look closely.

The new wire I used, It was a bit long so coiled it a little.

Thew new wire, it has much finer copper wire inside.

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
I don't see a lot of corrosion on the broken one. Maybe your transmission mount is bad and allows too much engine/trans motion??

·
Registered
276 Posts
I used eye-to-eye battery grounds from the auto parts store. Been fine for 3 years. And all my motor mounts are bad! lol My motor jumps around like crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts