Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Group Buy: 3.4 Final Drive for K20/K24 Transmissions

***Via PayPal - Send $250 as a gift or $258.75 to be covered by Paypal's buyer's insurance to:

[email protected]

Make sure to put "Deposit for K-series 3.4 final drive group buy" in the note during payment***

Included: Countershaft and ring gear.
Manufacturer: MFactory
Minimum number to place an order: 15-20
Power rating: 350-400whp
Teeth cut: semi-helical
Bearing required for shaft: 40mm (part number 91003-PPT-004. Your OEM trans may already come equipped with this size.)
Deposit required to start production: 50%
Turnaround after deposit is made: 3-4 months
Price per unit: $500 plus shipping ($50)

1. Mak D. (Self / Yes)
2. Nate H. (Real life / Yes)
3. Killer Sight (IC / Maybe)
4. drtye (K20a.org / Yes)
5. Bennie S. (FB / Yes)
6. Lawrence J. (FB / Yes)
7. VeemCua T. (FB / Yes)
8. Preston C. (FB / Yes)
9. Robb H. (FB / Yes)
10. Sora R. (FB / Yes)
11. Jacob F. (FB / Yes)
12. Matt L. (FB / Yes)
13. Jake A. (FB / Yes)
14. Matthew G. (FB / Yes)
15. Stacy G. (FB / Maybe)
16. jstahl1 (IC / Yes)
17. Kevin Johnson (FB / Yes)
18. Jamie Wycko
19. julianachos

Hello all, I'm organizing a group buy for this elusive final drive for Insight Kswaps, Mini Kswaps and possibly MR2 and Lotus swaps too. All of this information will be copied and will be updated concurrently to K20a.org, Insightcentral.net, the Facebook group K Swapped Insights and possibly others. This is the first group buy I've personally spearheaded so if you know of a better way then by all means share your ideas with me. First, we'll gauge interest and go from there. No money is expected at this time, at least not until we have a substantial number interested.

To give some history, what a numerically low final drive does is decrease the ratio of every gear to provide a relatively lower RPM for a given speed. Below are the most common swap choices, a 4.7 and 4.3. Some examples using a factory Insight's 165/65R14 tires:

Factory 05-06 RSX Type-S
FD: 4.764
6th: .738
@ 70 mph: 3690 RPM

Factory 03-05 Accord (my current setup)
FD: 4.389
5th: .659
@ 70 mph: 3040 RPM

Factory 03-05 Accord but with 3.4
FD: 3.4
5th: .659
@ 70 mph: 2350 RPM

If you are curious how your vehicle would change and you know your tire size and transmission ratios, use this calculator:

My aim is lower cruising RPM to reduce exhaust drone, increase MPG, reduce wear on the engine and drivetrain, modulate traction, etc. When the time comes for power or passing the lower gears will still be there. For those not interested in a flexible daily driver Mike Lewin of Professional Awesome regularly tracks his and has embarrassed cars with 2-3 the power. Also thanks go to Austin Perdue for his feedback from daily driving his the last couple years, some of it while towing a loaded trailer.

It should also be noted (by my estimate) there are only 3 members on this board with this final drive that I know of and not many more than that in the world. I've spent the last several months cold calling and emailing various companies to see about making these available again. Frana was the most well known years ago but his price for a small batch of 3-5 went up to $1500 from $1200. I found a manufacturer overseas that will do small batches for $900 but only for racing applications as the teeth are straight cut and sound like a jet turbine at speed. MFactory mentions their semi-cut "which produces slightly more noise than factory but with our larger tooth profile, this enables it to hold the expected power levels." For added perspective, the lowest numerical drive available right now in the US is an aftermarket 4.00 to the tune of $700 before shipping or a 3.65 from PPG (straight cut) for $1700. The lowest affordable option from an OEM trans is a European 4.105. The US has the 4.3 which I have and the 1st gear is still patently useless. I take off in 2nd from a stop every time.

Let me know if you have questions. I will add and subtract names as needed along with where I know them from to keep track and degree of commitment (Maybe / Yes).

Updates:

3/27:
Now that it is apparent interest won't be an issue, I will ask MFactory first of next week how they would like payment and also what post-processes they offer (if any) on an individual basis.

3/30:
For payment, it'll be 50% of $500 or $250 sent via PayPal as a gift payment or $258.75 to be covered by PayPal's buyer's insurance. I'll have an email address for payment by the end of the week. They emphasized they can only go ahead after the full $3,750 (15 x $250) has been received.

3/31:
According to MFactory all of their FDs, LSDs and axles are "forged, double tempered, shot-peened and super sub-zero treated from the factory." For those who wish to go further, they mention WPC (think next level metal treatment with micro dimples, etc) that is available upon individual request. Contact them by using this email address:

[email protected]

or call if you'd like: TEL: +1 909.592.5933

Make sure to mention it is for the 3.4 Group Buy. Patrick Seto (general manager) has been my contact since the start.

With that we can open up Paypal too. Same recipient address as above. $250 sent as a gift or $258.75 to be covered by Paypal's buyer's insurance. Make sure to put "Deposit for K-series 3.4 final drive group buy" in the note during payment to ease keeping track for him. You can message me direct once you've paid so I can mark you off the list privately. Is a week or two what everyone would like to shoot for? No need to publicly flog anyone for being slow on payment, contact me first and we'll figure out your timeline.

Updated the shipping quote as well ($50).

4/7:
Seven deposits have been made so far according to MFactory. Once they receive the minimum 15, anyone else interested will have a couple weeks max before the window closes and no new deposits can be made. He is supposed to let me know when the countdown begins.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got you on the list.

Mak

Reactions: julianachos

·
Registered
2000 MT
145 Posts
Glad to see updates, I didn't get the edited first post updates so was a little slow on getting the information.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As of Friday morning this is where we are at.

Mak

·
Registered
2000 MT
145 Posts
Was just issued a refund, group buy of 20 units was filled up before I got the deposit in. Maybe a second group buy at a later date.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
BongoBennie ~ "Anyone else jonesen for this thing like I am? I dream about it."

Every single time I hit 5th and hit that short-winded wall.

Mak

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Update email.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts