Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ferried my "new" 2009 Insight down from Dublin to Cork yesterday.
Nice thing, this. Without trying too hard, I got about 5.1 l/100 km or 55 UK mpg, 45 US mpg.
Checking midway, the tire temp was higher than expected, pressure OK at about 40 psi - but on hot tires. I'll go and check the cold tires later.

The car has the Internavi unit, which on it's own is impressive. TV (albeit Japan only), MP3/CD (even has a built-in database of CDs using GraceNote)... it's not too bad a unit. Obviously, the FM standard in Japan differs from the standards over here in Europe and the "translation unit" plugged in by the dealer is sh!te.

It might even have a HDD to store MP3 files in the unit, which is not too bad either.

But it's all in Japonese and even using Google Translate does not help.

Looking up Fleabay, I could only locate a very simple wiring loom adapter that just does the basic functions, but none of the extended functions like steering wheel controls, phone etc. Any sources for that (preferrably in Europe...)?

The car has Xenon dipped headlights, which is great. Me likey! But the high beam is weak in comparison. Any suggestions for more powerful high beam? Aftermarket HID? LED?

Anyone tried to put DRL LED lights beneath the front indicator lights?

Another point is the small 12V battery. Anyone gone for more modern replacements using NiMH or LiION? I've successfully used LiION replacements on motorbikes.

Other than that, the Insight seems to deliver what's printed on the tin. Honda Hybrid motoring. I have two Honda motorbikes, one from 1981, the other from 1982. Both are literally bulletproof and even though the 1982 has such complicated things like a turbocharger and an electronic PGM fuel injection and a PGM ignition ( in 1982, where cars usually ran on carbs and points and other than supercars and F1 nobody was even considering turbochargers...) it still is rock solid.

Oh, one last thing. I'm looking for a parcel shelf. You know, this roller thing like the one that fit's the Fit/Jazz. Does anyone have one laying around or knows someone who has one for sale...?

Thanks for reading,

Corkonian

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sounds good and welcome aboard

as for the 12v, yes it does suck ... some of us, including myself, have gone for a 51r upgrade from the stock 151r battery - *i dont know if they use the same 12v designations on ur side of the pond ... it fits fine so long as u remove the plastic battery tray and let the battery sit directly on the steel shelf underneath ... much juicier than the stock unit - the cars various systems and the ima seem much more approving of a more robust 12v on hand

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto light function is a nice feature. Me likey! The Internavi unit impresses me more everyday. This thing has CAN bus connectivity. It can read out fuel consumption and possible more data that I just can't understand. Is there a plug-in replacement for the original loom with comparable functionality...?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts