Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Yeah, except Honda is still pissing away its engineering skill and time on hydrogen instead of working on an ev that could be practical now.

Sigh. The Fit EV showed they can do it, but chasing hydrogen is just kicking the can down the road with no end in sight.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Solar powered Hydrogen production would be a good selling point. Unless of course we run out of water!

Scale of economy will bring these technologies on line. The promise of Hydrogen is connected to clean energy. If Hydrogen can be produced with solar power in sufficient quantities, it would be the answer for more than just transportation fuel. Hydrogen could also power homes, and in the colder climates, produce fuel for heating.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Every year honda releases a new hydrogen vehicle. Its limited to CA residents and production units. I doubt "that" will be available at the dealer. Its likely going to be a water down looking combination of the HCH Acura.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hmm, the Visio.M looks like a real world posibility. Light weight, small battery and good aero yields about 100 miles with two people and luggage. Sounds like a good commuter... that will never be produced. CRXish somewhat...
\

Looks like an interesting and fun engineering exercise, at least.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The original honda insight was suppose to be a sports car with a capacitor bank storage system.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That would have been a stunning car in the flesh. Honda could have pushed the envelope and made some good money. Soichiro Honda would have smiled a lot. He was a real enthusiast. After Soichiro's passing, Honda turned into the conservatively careful and way more timid entity it is today. Hopefully they'll come back.

Needless to say, at around the same price (or even more) of the Gen 1 Insight... I would have stood in line to buy that car. Especially with an aluminum skin.

To think that Honda pushed so many resources, like their best engineers, into Acura. So sad.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Soichiro Honda would have smiled a lot. He was a real enthusiast. After Soichiro's passing, Honda turned into the conservatively careful and way more timid entity it is today. Hopefully they'll come back.

To think that Honda pushed so many resources, like their best engineers, into Acura. So sad.
Yeah, no kidding. Can you imagine current Honda making something this adventurous?
http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/top-ten-best-sounding-motorcycle-engines-91156.html

Or this
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S800

Or this :)
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/insight/2000/

·
Registered
831 Posts
Took them a while, around 10 years, but Honda did become a leading edge production car company for quite a while. They led in economy and brought reliability to a level not experienced beforehand in small cars by the mid 1970s.

Still think it was incredibly gutsy for a motorcycle company to launch into car (and small truck) building about the same time they decided to produce a Formula 1 car and go racing on the world stage. Heck of an unconventional way to learn about building cars and engines.

I saw my first Honda on track in Watkins Glen when I was a kid. Didn't know it was a Honda, but the sound of the engine was completely different than the deep throaty sounds of most cars on track. The Honda's note was way higher and caught my ear and interest over all the other cars.

Took me a while to discover that Honda had built a 1.5L normally aspirated V12 compared to the V8s commonly used to power those F1 cars. It definitely sounded great. Unfortunately, neither car finished that race from what I remember, but I did become a Honda and F1 fan just about the same time. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
You can probably attribute Honda getting into racing a lot to Mr. Honda himself whom was a racer. Guy even put a race car over the side of a bridge.

He had brass balls.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes, but meticulously engineered fast brass balls.

·
Registered
386 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts