Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new I2 to try and average out the poor fuel economy I get with my '06 Wrangler Rubicon. I have always enjoyed driving the Rubi but @ 13.2 mpg it's depressing when I fill up regardless of how much fun I have driving it. This new I2 is teaching me how to drive all over & I have increased the Rubi avg/mpg to 16.2 by using the coast method I use in the other. I have found it to be a quest/game to see what kind of mpg's I'll get in this incredible car and got a 45.3 avg in my dealer tank in Florida with he A/C cranked. I look forward to reading the tips and will start appying them in the future. I found an ethanol free station near me and wondered if the. 55¢ price difference will be worth it over a tank of fuel. Anybody have an answer???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Results after tank 2 and 3 mpg's yielded 46.5 & 46.1(last tank with econ off for 150 miles) Since there were no replies about ethanol free fuel mpg's I'm going to try it and see what kind of results I get.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I found an ethanol free station near me and wondered if the. 55¢ price difference will be worth it over a tank of fuel. Anybody have an answer???
I missed this thread last week. I have a Gen 1 CVT and I've lost about 8-10% on the Winter blend. Tough thing is we ran 10% ethanol last summer, too. When I drive out of state and gas up I can see the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I filled up yesterday & wife is making a long trip today with about a 60-40 interstate/city mix today. If my figures are right, I'd have to get 53 mpg for this to pay off. After talking with her this morning, she was @ a 52 average so far on this tank so it's currently not showing the ehanol free fuel will pay for itself. The only benefit I can think of it will not burn as hot as ethanol added and possibly increase engine life. I'll have results @ end of day as she's projected to drive nearly 400 miles today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After 2 tanks of ethanol free fuel I have calculated an average of 50.7 mpg. I think the car runs better on the ethanol free and increased fuel mileage but is not going to pay for itself versus using regular 87 octane fuel @ least for me anyways. I checked tire pressurrs and they were all @ 35psi so I increased to 40 psi and have seen the biggest gains there! L:

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I notice a 5mpg diff myself. Now I also see a 5mpg change from fuel from discount places like Sheetz, Hess, Sams Club vs BP. I know BP did a lot to screw up our oceans, but man, they are cheap as the discount places, a mile from my home and I get decent mpg from them.

·
Registered
605 Posts
A few years ago Oregon made a shift from no ethanol, to all stations all gas at 10% ethanol. At the time, using my prior car, I made a very careful multi tank comparison of the effects of the shift to ethanol. What I found is that there was a small mpg decrease for city driving, no mpg change for highway driving.

On a recent trip to the East coast I used ethanol all the way through flyover country, got great mpg, and enjoyed lower prices.

BTW locally, I've compared mpg of name brand vs off brand gas. Name brand does tend to be better and worth the money. But sometimes not. Sometimes I think it's the particular gas station, not so much the brand of gas that makes a difference (due old vs new tanks in the ground....or other factors).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts