Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let the forum know that after 80,000 miles on our 2001, the IMA light came on and after the diagnosis, it needed a new battery pack and computer modules. To our great surprise Honda is still covering the IMA and there was no charge for the replacement parts :D . We are delighted. Who ever heard of an auto manufacturer extending such a long warranty?
Bouty

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's even better than that. They changed mine out at 137,000 miles a few months ago. The warranty is extended to 10 years/150,000 miles. The warranty on my "new" pack is 12,000 miles.

·
Administrator
12,304 Posts
You are lucky!

We are shafted here in the UK unless you own a 2003 or newer Insight, or have one with an extended UK Hondacare warranty, even then the warranty is only valid to 8 years or 80,000 miles. UK is def a poor relation to the US with the IMA warranty. :(

I had to buy a new IMA battery for my 2002 UK car at 67,000 miles, cost £1000 :(

Peter

·
Registered
652 Posts
retepsnikrep,

Is that a reconditioned or new pack. I wonder if they should a production date for the pack. I am curious as it would seam odd for Panasonic to still be producing new packs of an old technology. Remember the Civic packs changed in 2003 with a greater power density. I wonder how long the packs made when the insight was in production can sit on the shelf without degradation? Just something to consider. My guess as I have no direct knowledge is that Panasonic stopped making these 2-3 years ago and the supply is whatever Honda has on the shelf. Perhaps that is one of the reasons for discontinuing the Insight. Does anyone know how batteries are reconditioned? Are they as good as a brand new battery? Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IMO Honda would not use "old" batteries when remanufacturing the pack. "New" packs, like many other major assemblies (e.g. automatic transmissions) have never been available except remanufactured.

And that's the _beauty_ of using "standard" D cell sizes. Their readily available in the production stream. Yes, the Insight uses an "industrial" quality _heavy duty_ version of a D cell, but such differences can easily be done in a production run vs. some type of custom battery ala Prius.

Nor would using a higher capacity NiMH in substution for a lower have any effect. Except that the battery management system could not take advantage of the increased capacity. So if the case is true the Panasonic no longer manufactures the lower capacity cell their current higher capacity cell will work just fine. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
wow

yer lucky...."something not covered" blew in mine....

·
Administrator
12,304 Posts
New or Old pack?

Rick Reece said:
retepsnikrep,

Is that a reconditioned or new pack. I wonder if they should a production date for the pack. I am curious as it would seam odd for Panasonic to still be producing new packs of an old technology. Remember the Civic packs changed in 2003 with a greater power density. I wonder how long the packs made when the insight was in production can sit on the shelf without degradation? Just something to consider. My guess as I have no direct knowledge is that Panasonic stopped making these 2-3 years ago and the supply is whatever Honda has on the shelf. Perhaps that is one of the reasons for discontinuing the Insight. Does anyone know how batteries are reconditioned? Are they as good as a brand new battery? Have fun, RIck
It looked brand new to me and came in a massive Honda Box, no idea how old it is/was sorry. I imagine they just replace all the cells in a recycled unit. Keep the housing and other bits. That's probably what we will be forced to do sooner or later when the supply of new ima/exchange packs drys up. I don't need to do it yet with my spare old pack, but I will probably have a go at replacing the cells with the best industrial D cell available when the time comes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks,

Looks like my battery will pass 150K and I hope that when I replace it the next one will last as long. Have fun, RIck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts