Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2021 Honda Insight Touring and have roughly 300 miles on the car. I'm getting between 26mpg to 32mpg and have only driven in the city. That is 19 to 25mpg lower than the advertised gas mileage of 51mpg in the city which is ridiculous. I purchased it from Coggin Honda in Orlando (worst customer service I have ever experianced, btw. Definately steer clear of this terrible dealership). My last five cars were all Toyota Priuses so I am very used to hybrid's and how driving style can affect gas mileage. Even when I drove my Priuses harshly, I never got less than 43mpg; so maybe a 5 to 8 mpg reduction; but not 20mpg! The dealership is just blowing me off. They said that there was nothing wrong with the car and refuse to return my phone calls. Does anyone have any suggestions before I bring a Lemon Law action. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,663 Posts
Get regional Honda rep involved in this one early on and conduct all of your communication with dealership service dept. via email and screenshot/print copies. You may need those as exhibits to your Lemon Law complaint down the road. From the perspective of the dealership service associates, it is harder to blow off responding satisfactorily to an email your boss, the service manager, may see one day. If you do stuff by phone, there's no record of it later if you need one.

P.S. Always direct your written communication to a specific individual as opposed to "Dear Service Dept.". Putting a name on it fosters accountability. Copying the service manager by name on all communications and making sure they are actually sent (in the case of email with a read receipt) avoids the "I never knew that" problem down the road. Well, you should have known that. I copied you on all my email with a read receipt, so there is no basis for you to plead ignorance now.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,663 Posts
Be polite and respectful in your correspondence. Make sure you appear reasonable at all times. That may be difficult to do, but will be worth it in the long run. If you do, and aren't perceived as a raving lunatic, two things may happen: 1) you might obtain satisfaction from the dealership; or 2) the Judge may believe you over them.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
1. The car is new so may not be broken in yet.
2. The dealer may not have properly inflated the tires so give that a check.
3. In FL you are probably using the A/C more than the test cycle.
4. You driving habits may be more aggressive than the test cycle.

But, yes, the MPG seems too low. As Joule says, document your communications;)

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Sure it does. It takes energy to drive an A/C and that energy is coming from gasoline. Electric A/C "may" be more efficient, I don't know, but it certainly isn't free;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.