Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ~ I am a new Insight owner...I stumbled upon a used 2006 with 15,000 miles at the local dealership. I was waiting for an estimate on my 94 Honda Civic (smashed by a trash truck) and walked across the street to browse the used cars. I asked about an Insight and the salesperson said he hadn't seen one in over a year. He went to ask the manager what they had coming in the next day...and lo and behold, a 2006 that was just traded in for a Nissan SUV at their dealership down the road. It was determined that my 94 was a total loss...so I snagged the Insight for $15,900, which I thought was a great price for a practically new car.
Now, my question...how do you know what additives are in the gas you buy? Which gas brands should I avoid? Does anyone know if Costco gas is OK? The sign at the gas pump just says the gas has a detergent additive. Any help would be appreciated...I don't want to ruin my car by putting the wrong gas in it. Hopefully I can keep using Costco since it's cheaper! Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congratulations on the new Insight! What color and transmission? I use Quiktrip regular gas and get great performance and gas mileage always at a great price in my area (Mesa, AZ)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! My car is silver with a manual transmission. We don't have that type of gas here...I'm in Pa. Any other gasolines you know of that would be OK? Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Honda recommends Chevron, 76, and Shell, and maybe a few others. There are threads about this on the forum. Happy searching, and congrats on the new car!

Edit: found this link indicating the top-tier gasoline retailers:
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK ...I have tried to do a search on this and all I can say is the search feature on this website is not so great. I did a search on "recommended gas" "gas brands" " best gas for insight" etc. and I got no hits on what I'm looking for. Can someone please tell me what to search under? We do not have Chevron, Phillips, 76, and very few Shell stations around here. I am in Harrisburg, Pa. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Honda recommends a certain octane for most of their vehicles, so you'll be happy to know that regular gas is all you need in your engine. I have filled up our Insight in twenty-two states, with various brands of fuel, and have never ever had any problems. Now, to open up a big bag of worms, you may get lots of advice about particular brands. I myself prefer Chevron, since I've had Gulf stock for aeons (Gulf became Chevron, which became Chevron Texaco), but if you want the best for your little roller, any Top Tier gasoline will have the right blend of additives and detergents to keep your car running strong and without injector problems for many many years. Ask the vendor if their gas is Top Tier-rated or not. To quote from the Chevron Texaco website...

"The voluntary TOP TIER program establishes criteria for detergency levels in gasoline higher than those currently set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Gasolines meeting these criteria will keep engine parts cleaner by reducing fuel-related deposits, resulting in better performance." ;)

If you don't have Chevrons in your part of the world, don't sweat it, find another leading brand and (to borrow an old phrase), "Happy Motoring!" :lol:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've never used Costo's gas, but a buddy has a Prius and that's all he buys. He's had no issues, if that helps any.

I've had problems with Shell. After 3 tanks worth my EGR valve started causing problems. I fixed that and started buying Chevron exclusively. Many people claim their Techron additive is worthwhile, and it's supposed to be in all the gas they sell. I've had zero problems since then. Chevron is usually a little bit more expensive, but at 60+mpg I figure I can afford to treat my car to the good stuff. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Costco gas more than any other. My mileage is great, and I'm sure that pesky loose piston thing wasn't the gas's fault. I do think Costco gas is a "top tier" product. They always sell quality stuff.

Tom
'01 ECOBOT

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've personally seen the distribution truck filling a 76 station, then going on to fill a Costco station.

I would buy CostCo gasoline if there wasn't a wait, but quite honestly I have never seen any discount at CostCo for gas, that made it worth the agonizing half hour wait in parking lot traffic for the pumps, when I can drive 1/4 mile away and pay a few cents more a gallon for no waiting, ability to clean my windows, and other random things you'd expect from a gas station.

What is driving the flood of traffic to purchase this gasoline is probably the same thing that makes people nickel and dime themselves over a package of tissue paper. If CostCo price was $.50 to $1.00/gallon less, I could see the reason for the hysteria at the pumps, but in general its not more than $.10/gal different, typically in the $.05/gal discount range (where I live at least...)

Most of these people could save more money on gas by trying out hypermiling techniques and correcting tire pressure, even in their non-hybrid cars, than waiting (and idling away gas) for their lucky chance to fill up at CostCo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much for all of your replies. Wow...where is your Costco that you have to wait in line that long to get gas?! There is hardly ever a line at our Costco...so I guess I will continue buying it there since it seems as though it won't be a problem.
I do agree with you about the hypermiling techniques...I recently got over 72 mpg on a trip. Then I tried the same techniques in my Subaru Outback and got over 30mpg on my way home from work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seattle area

Inside CostCo is just as bad if not worse :)

(So I try to make my trips less often, and buy whatever I need to span that amount of time... less gas too)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts