Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 Honda Insight a week ago. It was used in NW Montana by Ferrier for almost 200 k miles and was quite dirty. The owner told me that the check engine light was on and that the dealer had told him it was a problem with the catalytic converter. When I bought it it was at the local Honda dealership getting a battery recal performed. I drove it a few days and the check engine light was off and the car worked great getting over 50 mpg. Yesterday the light came on and I put a scanner on the obd II, it read P0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1). I called Honda and they said the part was $1353.00. I checked a discount Honda store online and they have a converter listed for 600.00. My question is, should I replace this part and if so where is the best place to order it from? Also, is it wise to also replace the oxygen sensors at the same time ? Is it a bolt on part that is pretty easy to instal? Thanks,

Robert Rahn
Kalispell, Mt.
2001 Honda Insight

·
Registered
101 Posts
2001 cat problems

Be aware the 2001 has two cats. The price from the dealer is likely to be for both. It looks like this:

engine - sensor - cat - sensor - cat

The second sensor is calling out that code. Note there is no sensor to
measure the second cat performance. Later years have another sensor.
So for the 2001, the 1st cat is bad, so since we can't tell anything about
the second, Honda insists on selling both together. Honda will sell the
second one separately, like if it gets physically damaged.

The CEL is likely to go out for a while and come back for a while. At
least that's been my experience. I would suggest doing the right thing
and replacing both.

Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
18 Posts
cat install

Hi,

There is a front and rear cat.
The front shouldn't be too difficult to install, but for one thing. Most of them will have rusted bolts. If this is the case, then it will be a pain to remove. I'd let the dealer handle this, as they just burn the bolts off.
This repair is one of the more expensive ones, but it will help mileage.

·
Registered
466 Posts
look here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6614

you might not need to buy anything. if the ecu has not been replaced yet, have them swap it out and see if the code goes away. mine did. ultimately the cat will need to be replaced, but who knows how many years from now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just got a letter from Honda stating that some 2000-2001 Insights are having the check engine light come showing a cat convertoer problem. It says to bring in your Insight to your Honda dealer and have the ECM replaced free of charge. I got this letter for my 2001 last Friday so its a new product update bulletin. I can email you a copy, just give me your address

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I have been getting an intermittent p0420 code also, never more than 2 on a single tank of gas, and usually more like 1 code every 1,000 miles. Based on this thread I decided to call the local Honda Dealer. I told the service manager the code and how it has been intermittent, the year of the car and my mileage. I also referenced the two service bulletins.

Well, he called back this afternoon and told me it was covered under this warranty even though my car now has 149k miles, and that he would order a new ECU to be installed for next week. This is also without him even seeing the car. He even said I can drop off the car, and their shuttle driver will not only drop me off at work, but he will also pick me up ..... talk about service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ibjeff said:
I just got a letter from Honda stating that some 2000-2001 Insights are having the check engine light come showing a cat convertoer problem. It says to bring in your Insight to your Honda dealer and have the ECM replaced free of charge. I got this letter for my 2001 last Friday so its a new product update bulletin. I can email you a copy, just give me your address

Please email me a copy at [email protected]. Thank you.

barryblom #2476

1 - 7 of 7 Posts