Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,628 Posts
Really sounds like a fuel problem. Bad pump, broken pump, bad wiring, something there.

If you can get someone to operate the starter, try spraying the starting fluid a little at a time and see if the engine runs more continuously. That would be proof positive of the above. Just 15 seconds running or so.

I assume you have removed the valve cover and watched the valves on cylinder #3 operate - cam check. (You can actually see the #3 valves operate by just looking down through the oil fill hole while someone cranks.)

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
But it has pictures of what the fuel pump assembly is supposed to look like. Other threads are available with a search.

San

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I took the valve cover off when I first got the new engine to get a visual on everything and make sure timing was correct. Wouldn’t hurt to watch it while cranking though, might be able to get to it later today. If not, I’m not going to be able to mess with the car til Thurs, but going to start with the fuel pump and go from there.

Next step after fuel pump will be ECM. Local junkyard has a 2000 5spd/AC ECM (exactly what mine is) and the matching transponder key/ignition for a pretty decent price. Will just need to get a non transponder key cut for my original ignition if I end up going that route. Honda quoted me $26 to cut the non transponder key.

The one time I got fuel pressure up to 45psi, the engine did seem like it was sputtering a little, even after the starting fluid had(should have at least) burned off. All wiring checks involving fuel pump, PGM-FI relay, and ECM check out good. I separated the bundle of ground wires next to fuel pump to check the fuel pump ground for continuity and it was good as well.

Still need to figure out why the check engine light never comes on, but I’ll chase that down after the car is running.

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
If the check engine light never comes on, it’s likely a burnt out bulb.

Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Good news!! Finally got it started!

I bypassed the filter on bottom of pump to rule out it being plugged up, and didn’t seem to change the fuel pressure or that fact it wouldn’t start.

Swapped out the fuel rail and injectors off of the old engine and it fired right up(just won’t idle, should be due to the air box and all that not being on currently I’m hoping). Even while running for 30sec the fuel pressure gauge never read anything above 9-10psi, where the needle rests.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts