Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I'm the new owner of a used 2001 Insight and have just joined this forum. Two days ago I picked up the vehicle in southern Arizona and drove it back to Colorado, averaging 69.3mpg for the trip. The vehicle has about 72K miles on it, but it ran very well. So far, I'm really liking this vehicle.

Unfortunately, I have no owners manual or maintenance records for it, so I have some questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Is the owners manual worth the $45 from the dealer? I can't locate any manual for it at auto parts stores. Is there some source on the Net where I can get an owners manual?

One of the first things I do when I purchase a used vehicle is change all the lubes; but because I don't yet have a manual, I don't even know what kind of lubes to get. Can anyone provide me with the recommended oils and capacities for the engine, transmission, and anything else that needs periodic changing? Also, is there any problem with using synthetic lubes like Mobile 1?

Is there a good source for air filters? I found oil filters at local stores, but no air filter.

Is there a way to determine what needs servicing when the "check engine" dummy light comes on?

Lastly, the previous owner had only one key for the vehicle. I've recently learned why he never got a copy. Apparently, the key has a chip inside it and can't be duplicated just anywhere. You have to get a replacement through Honda, and they are quite expensive. Is there any way around this? I've owned only older vehicles in the past, so this is new to me. I was blown away when the key clerk informd me that it could cost around $100 to get a duplicate through a dealer. Yikes! Is there a way to somehow disable the portion of the ignition that needs the chip? I don't even know how it works, so forgive me if this is a boneheaded question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

---
Steve

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi, welcome to Insight Central

I hope it can help, "Insightman" has a web page about the highlights of the Manual at:
http://www.insightman.com/insight_doc/owners_man.htm

Engine oil chage is 2.6 QT of 0W-20
Transmission is 1.6 QT of Honda Manual Transmission fluid (MTF)
Maybe the engine coolant, it is about 1 gallon

I buy my air filter at a local Napa store

For check engine, you would need an ODBII reader

I would pay for the new key to keep the Anti-theft starting device. When you get a new key, all the keys need to be reprogrammed into the ECU of the car. Maybe it is why it cost so much (the time of a technician, I hope it is included)

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
When I got my Insight I only had one key with two remotes as well.
Honda quoted me $45.00 for each key so I got two of them. That
includes them programming as well...All they needed was an original
key and the parts guy actually did the work. I did try them out and
they work fine. You can not disable the immobilization because if you
could then car thieves would be able to do it quickly. (Although I'm
sure the Inisght is not a high theft risk because of the production
numbers...Not much demand for parts.)

JoeCVT

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the helpful info, everyone.

I hope it can help, "Insightman" has a web page about the highlights of the Manual at:
http://www.insightman.com/insight_doc/owners_man.htm

I found some helpful information there. Thanks.

Engine oil chage is 2.6 QT of 0W-20

I plan to use Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic. Is anyone doing that? I don't know why it would be a problem, but I thought I'd ask.

Transmission is 1.6 QT of Honda Manual Transmission fluid (MTF)

Is there a synthetic equivalent that will work - something which can be purchased at an auto parts store?

I buy my air filter at a local Napa store

Just ordered one from NAPA. Thanks for the tip. At $15, it's a bit pricier than I expected, but oh well.

For check engine, you would need an ODBII reader

Is an ODBII reader an expensive repair shop gadget, or can it be purchased by the average consumer? Do most folks just run to the dealer and pay money whenever the check engine light comes on, or is there some inexpensive way of finding out what needs servicing?

Thanks,
---
Steve[/quote]

·
Registered
344 Posts
OBD II Reader

I just purchased Car Code OBD-II On Board Diagnostics Phase 2 software
from http://www.obd-2.com .
It was $122 including shipping. I decided to go with it because of the many features. I purchased the software and the ISO cable to use on a laptop. It records data per trip that you can save and view later.

I had a check engine light about a month after buying my used 2000 Insight with 72000 miles.
AutoZone will use their reader (for free) to diagnose the code. They said it was a bad 02 sensor. After searching and reading many posts here, I found that it was a loose gas cap.

I use: Amsoil Series 2000 with an Amsoil filter,
K & N air filter (cleanable),
and many more pounds of air in the tires than Honda or Bridgestone recommends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll stop by Auto Zone and have them diagnose the problem. BTW, what weight oil do you use, the 0W-30? Where do you get it? I checked out the Amsoil web site, and it's $8 /qt. Any better deals to be had? Also, what do you use in the tranny?

Thanks again,
---
Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
Amsoil

I buy it from a local dealer. Yes, it's over $8 a quart. The filter is about $13. Buuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt, It's a 36,000 mile oil. I will change the filter and .5 qts. soon at 12,000 miles and again at 24,000.
The longer change intervals counterbalance the price of the oil. Also I don't have to change the oil every four to six weeks at 3000 miles.
I have used this oil/method in our Nissan Maxima and Nissan Frontier.

The previous owner had the trans fluid changed by a Honda dealer at 60,000 miles. I am going to switch it to Amsoil at 100,000 miles.

The first seven tanks (4,000 miles) of gas, I averaged 57.57 mpg.
I changed over to the Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30.
The last 16 tanks (10,000 miles) 67.87 mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which Amsoil lube, specifically, were you planning to use for the tranny? I just contacted an Amsoil dealer via email and was told that they don't make a lube which will work for that application. Here's the quote from his reply:

Steve,
I checked on your fluid requirements for your trans and we don't make one for it.

Bummer... Assuming he's correct, is there another synthetic lube which will work in place of Honda's MTF?

---
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I use 0W30 synthetic too. If there is a mileage penalty it seems minute. Plus, I thought I heard a little voice from the engine area said "thank you". :)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I used to put Amsoil synthetic 0W-30 because it was the only synt option, now I have access to Mobil 0W-20 at CanadianTire.

For the tranny, I use synthetic too but I do not know the brand/type. It was put in by a Honda dealer:
If you live in cold weather, expect to shift at a lower paste when cold. It is OK when hot (summer). The liquid is slicker and the difference shows more when below -15 C

·
Registered
274 Posts
Amsoil synthetic is a 36,000 mile oil? Does it somehow get less dirty/contaminated than Mobil 1? I can't imagine how nasty any oil would be after that mileage. I use Mobil 1 0W-20 and change oil and filter every 5K.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Synthetic Replacement for Honda MTF?

Ok, I'm really wondering now whether there is such a product. Neither Amsoil nor Mobil-1 make a synthetic lube that will work in the Insight tranny. I've scoured the Net and made calls to dealers (both Honda dealers and lube dealers), and I've been told there is no synthetic available for that application.

If anyone is using a synthetic lube in their Insight's 5-speed manual tranny, please let me know which it is and where I can obtain it.

Thanks much,
---
Steve

·
Registered
303 Posts
eBay

eBay often has Service manuals, etc. Just search on "Honda Insight" and parse through the list.

Congrats on your new car. There's a lot of detailed information in this forum about do-it-yourself maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
A little bird told me that synthetic 5W40 works just fine in the transmission. He also told me that because of the relatively low operating temperature and the majic ingredients in MTF, you might want to stick with it. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Amsoil

Your dealer is correct. Amsoil does not currently produce an oil for the transmission. The following is a reply that I received today from Amsoil.

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, yes the driveline fluids folks are looking at a manual transmission lube for Honda/Acura vehicles. We don’t have a time line yet though.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jim Van

AMSOIL Technical Services

1 - 17 of 17 Posts