Honda Insight Forum banner

new Insight owner!!...now I need AC

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick 
#1 ·
Hello-

I finally took the plunge and feel like I got a good deal -honda certified with 24k miles, one owner, no paintwork/accidents, 5 spd for $8900.

One reason it was cheap was that it doesn't have AC. Looks like I can get the factory kit for $900 (I did that in the past on a Civic I bought cheap.)

Has anyone on the forum installed the AC kit themselves? or have any experience with it? If I could get a copy of the installation manual, I might try to scavange the parts from a salvage yard to save a few more bucks. (doesn't take much of a hit to write-off an insight, so there are plenty)

Matt

#3 ·
Your best bet with the AC is to purchase it from one of the online sites if you can't get it cheaper at your dealership. It should be less than $1,000 for the kit. Then take it to a Honda Dealership and have them install it. This way you have the Honda parts installed by a Honda mechanic, and you get I think 12 months, 12,000 miles warranty on the whole AC system.

Installing the AC yourself is quite a daunting task, and is not really a do it yourself project. Plus you have to consider you need the proper machine to charge the system once it's in. It also requires removal of the dash panel to install the new buttons, plus removing some of the guts behind the glove box, and routing the hoses inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.