Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been looking for a new project for a while, always liked the idea of an Insight but assumed I'd never get my hands on one due to how few were sold in the UK. Well, I mentioned this to a colleague who collects cars, and as it turns out she had one sitting in the back of a storage unit she was willing to sell! Some discussions were had and £900 later it was sitting in my driveway. It needs a lot of love, but I'm gonna get it back on the road.

It's a 2000 Insight in Oxygen Blue with a manual, 220k miles on the clock, and more or less every problem Insights are known for.

IMA light is on with codes P1576 and P1568 - the car came with a homemade grid charger and giving it a 24 hour charge got the IMA light to stay off for a few days. Needs further investigation to get the blink codes, but I'm willing to accept it may need a new battery if it comes to it.

Also has code P1164 - the PO changed the front NTK L2H2 5 wire sensor for a Bosch 15906; I want to say fitting a proper NTK sensor will likely remedy this, but I'm getting conflicting information over whether NTK 24300 or 24301 is the best part to use?

Gearbox has the second gear synchro problem - I'll fix this later.

AC condenser looks like it caught a piece of road debris and is busted - apparently the compressor was gone too, but the PO has replaced this and pulled the relay so it should be good to go with a new condenser and dryer. Honda p/n 80110-S3Y-003 is what I need, happy to buy second hand if anybody has a good one? It looks like a RHD specific one, and the cheapest I've found one online for is £275 or so.

Shortly before I bought it, some idiot decided to kick the driver's wing mirror off - the nylon main body of the mirror is shattered and there's a huge chunk missing out of the casing, but the glass and actuators are intact so I think this is salvageable for the cost of some epoxy, filler and paint. Sure beats the £400ish the dealer wants for a new one.

Passenger side wing is cracked after someone used it as a parking bumper. This is annoying but just cosmetic so will get fixed later, the bonnet, front bumper and leading edge of the roof are also sandblasted so they'll all get some at once.

Jobs I've already done:

Set valve clearances

Replaced both engine ground straps

Replaced battery terminals and ground strap

Removed and polished clouded headlights

Repaired and repainted damaged driver's wing mirror

Pulled the cluster to fix some rattles and replace all the blown dash switch bulbs

Towing eye was sheared off in front bumper beam - drilled and tapped this out (M12x1.75 if anyone's curious) and got a new eye from a Honda Jazz.

Removed the awful cheap broken stereo install, put in some new Pioneer speakers. Will get a new double DIN head unit when I find one for the right price.

New brake discs and pads up front - old discs were rusty and pads seized up.

Deep-cleaned the filthy interior, washed seat covers, shampooed carpet and door panels. Now doesn't smell like a damp shed!

Replaced a bunch of missing or damaged interior trim clips, screws and fasteners with bits from the junkyard - stopped a bunch or rattles

Flushed clutch fluid

Fitted new microswitches for trip meter and m/km switch

To do:
Replace peeling driver's door top trim (guess it's a passenger trim for you LHD folks!)
Need Honda P/N 72410-S3Y-003 - anybody got one laying around?

Check/clean out EGR system - partially done, EGR plate cleaned, valve to do

Replace valve cover gasket

Replace lower rear engine mount

Check rear brakes

Replace brake fluid

Repair wiper spindle bushings

Install new wheels - the originals will be getting refurbished, in the meantime I have a set of 15" Enkei ES Tarmac I got for cheap on eBay, but which are stuck in coronavirus purgatory somewhere...

Dig into IMA battery /grid charger install - I suspect the charger connection has a diode in it as I can't get a voltage reading at the plug, and also can't discharge the battery - basically just have a look into the battery to assess what's been done and what needs doing.

1. Whew! Congrats on reading this far, have some pictures as a reward! I look forward to asking you guys far too many questions and begging for used parts :p

·
Administrator
11,413 Posts
Nice project.

Welcome to the site containing almost the sum total of human knowledge on these car.
It's usually on here but a pita to find sometimes..

I can probably help with some parts but not until after quarantine is lifted as I don't keep all my spares at my house.

Condenser, wing, etc etc

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Peter! Yes, we spoke on the UK Facebook group and I've been occupying my lockdown time with a lot of reading and fiddling. I'll definitely be in touch about spares once life returns to some semblance of normality!

Today's investigation revealed the wiper pivot on the driver's side has suffered water ingress, leading to rust on the wiper spindle that's chewed the internal bushings to bits. I dismantled the pivot and it seems like I can make an adequate repair with some 12mm ID x 16mm OD PTFE tube stock to replace the worn bushings. £4 on ebay, an hour or two of work and she'll be right.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
It looks nice, I think that blue is my favourite among options... Sounds like this one has found a good home, nice to see someone putting in the effort to bring one back up to snuff. I think it should be well worth your while...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’m trying to work out if I know you off another forum. I know you’re not Jim Bell on Autoshite, who’s just bought a blue one. Retro Rides?

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jonny69 - I'm not on any other forums other than Turbobricks for the Volvo, used to be on PH but not for many years! I don't think we know each other, but nice to meet you :)

Ecky - The camera does it more favours than it deserves, but it's definitely not horrendous. The wheels particularly look much better than they really are, but everything can be fixed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts