Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm scheduled to take delivery of my new-to-me '01 insight 5 spd tomorrow. Flying to New Orleans, I'll have a good drive back (hopefully!) to St. Louis. Any words of wisdom? Obviously, I'll check oil, tire pressure, etc. Wish me luck. I'll report mileage figures and other details after I return. Have an HCH already but happy to get an Insight :D . Steve

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hi Steve, welcome to the site and congradulations!
Drive safely and enjoy the ride. Avoid following trucks if you can to prevent stone chips. Put lots of presure in the tires if you want to see the best mileage. Be aware that electric steering, LRR tires, light weight, zero degree offset, and different track widths give the Insight a characteristic ride, so if it feels different to other cars you have driven don't be surprised. It took me a couple of weeks before it felt normal.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
People here put 50 psi in all four tires to increase mpg. You might start with something under, until you are relazed about it and know they won't pop. No one has ever reported popping, and mine haven't. It took me a little while to work up to it, just because it is a bit unusual. It doesn't appear to be unsafe at all, however. it does make a big difference with the OEMs. Some other tires have less impact with psi increases.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Also, if it is chilly, read up a bit on the blocking of air flow over the engine and radiator before you head out for your pickup. That's pretty easy. Once again, something that can give a little trepidation at first, but if you monitor temperature sensors and engine and oil temps etc. you will find that all is happy. Chilly means < 60 degrees or 70 degrees. Above that you won't need anything. The colder below 60s and 50s the more it makes a difference.

I don't know what the temps are there these days.

Oh Heck, maybe you already left!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions and heads-up re: handling, tire pressure, etc. I don't leave till about 1:30 central time. I'm scheduled to pick it up about 6PM and drive approx 400 miles to Memphis, then finish the remainder to St. Louis tomorrow. Farthest I've driven an Insight before is about a mile, so this will be a real learning experience. By the way, it's blue, has 30K miles, 1 owner, says 49.5 lifetime mpg, coming from Treadwell Honda in Mobile, AL. It's going to be a busy and interesting day !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
driving miss insight

don't be afraid it wont break! change to mobile 1 -20 and keep in mind that in the rain it may drop 5 to 7 mpg.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, and let us know how the trip went!

You'll love the car. I bought mine just about a month ago, and was lucky to find it locally. But I just got back from my first long trip, about 700 miles in one day, and the car performed great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skimmer and BillClark; Trip went well as reported under my other "road trip" thread and I'm enjoying the Insight. The previous dealer has even agreed to pay for an oil/filter change at my local dealer for their accidental oversight of not doing one prior to delivery. Bad news is my mileage has dropped from 73.3 to 72.6. Good news is my mileage is 72.6!! No surprises, runs well, seems like it has a lot of life left in her. Hope our relationship is a long one.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hats off to you as owner of two hybrids! :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
new purchase for steve

thanks for the update; congrats on making the move!!! I would like to know your technigue for getting the great mileage as I am between 47 and 51 in a cvt????

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. :!:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BillClark; Look at the 'driving' area under knowledge base for some great pointers. Doing these suggestions can make a big difference in MPG. By the way, I averaged about 66 mph. Any faster really cut into the mileage. Let us know if these things help. Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts