Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Members.

As a new member and Insight owner can I offer a couple of thank you's. The first for this website, what a font of knowledge and enthusiam it has been. I have read hundreds, if not thousands of post's in the last few weeks. This helped me finally take the plunge and buy an Insight to replace my gas guzzling Saab 9000 Aero. Actually finding an Insight for sale was the problem. They are like hens teeth in the UK.

Secondly to Honda for building such an interesting and impressive car. It's not perfect, but it's a real step in the right direction and shines as an example to all.

Now I am not completely new to electric vehicles, in fact I have been building/converting and driving them for 20 years. My latest Li-Ion powered vehicle is here http://www.solarvan.co.uk. I hope in time to be able to make some useful contribution to this site/forum and Insight ownership in general.

Best wishes to all for this festive season, or whichever festive season you subscribe too.

Regards

Peter Perkins
North Yorkshire
UK

Lifetime Mileage showing 91mpg over 32,000 miles. Down to the previous owner and seems pretty good.

My mileage 75mpg after a couple of hundred miles and 5 days ownership.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi PeterPerkins (retepsnikrep, reading the reflection in a mirror) and welcome to the forum.

Nice to have another member from the UK. There are several in here. :)

I'll be interested to read about your new ownership experiences as they develop (and you post them).

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Peter

Welcome to the forum - you old is your car and where did you buy it? The UK Insight owners had a meet at the Honda Training Centre near Slough earlier this year (I think about 12 Insights went). I think that was the first time I saw another Insight in 6 months of ownership. Another event will be organised next year. If you are ever over Clitheroe way get in touch.

Whereabouts in North Yorkshire are you?

Regards

John

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I live near Thirsk in North Yorkshire.

My Insight was regd in Jul 2001 and has 32,500 miles on clock.

Lifetime mileage is showing as 91.1mpg.

I believe it came from Glasgow area of Scotland.

I bought it at Lancaster Honda Dealer a week ago.

It had been advertised by them on e-bay UK.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Wow 91 mpg! That is impressive even when converted to US gallons, which is what is refered to here generally. The first owner was obviously a hypermiler. Welcome to the forum. :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you picked up a great car!

I too have an EV and have visited your site in the past (mine's not lithium powered though :cry: ). Great to have you on board.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hi Peter, forgot to say welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase.

My current Insight is my third one (boring story). What is the colour and registration of your Insight? (There are so few Insights in the UK I might know its history....oh dear).

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Owner

My Insight is electric blue.

It came from Glasgow area of Scotland.

It's reg has changed first owner had a personalised plate.

Haven't got reg doc back from DVLA yet.

Peter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honda Insight EV

It is interesting that both Peter and Rick have EV's. I am considering converting a Honda Insight to all electric. How do you think this car would do ? I would want to get a range of 125 miles. It would be hard to do with lead acid but with lithium I think it would be possible. Were did you purchase your lithium batteries and what was the cost ? I own a 2002 Insight automatic which could be converted with a direct drive AC motor with reduction gear or I could trade it in for a manual 5 speed. Do you think using a manual would be a better or should I use the one I have ?

Thanks
George Kuck
Chestertown,MD

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Electric Insight

George.

I can confirm with experinece from using Lithium-Ion since Sept 2003 in my EV, that Lithium-Ion or Lithium-Polymer is the only way to go to get enough stored energy.

An Insight should make a great pure EV due to it's aerodynamics and light weight. You would have to figure out carefully the impact of battery pack weight and choice of drive system. Although I do think it's a bit of a waste to convert a car so advanced in it's current form.

Budget will be your next biggest hurdle.

If you are serious I would go with Kokam Lithium-Polymer cells. I think they would give the best pack flexibility. You should definately aim for an AC Regen system. Siemens High or Curtis/Zivan Low voltage you choose.

Consider building your own ultra lightweight EV from scratch. I like the idea of a converted two seater glider cockpit as a base. Three wheel configuration, lightweight and with a superb drag factor. Just my tuppence worth.

Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congratulations Peter,
Looks like you pipped me to it !
I have recently started my search for an Insight - enqured 28 Dec to Lancaster Honda for details of the car on their websight. the one you had just purchased. I have since logged a vehicle search with Honda UK.

I have just joined this forum today, keen to aquire an Insight soon as I feel it will be ideal for my daily 86mile round trip commute Lincoln - Nottingham my A6 (towcar) is getting on a bit & I would like to save it until I can replace it prior to retirement at 65 in 3-1/2yrs time.
Would welcome any advice on anticipated purchase - or get pointed in the right direction to find it.

regards
Clive

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hi Clive / imaconvert , welcome to the forum.

Not sure from your post above whether you are looking for an Insight to convert to all electric or to drive as normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi The Citrus Smoothie,
Thanks for the welcome.
I am keen to obtain a standart Insight, wouldn't want to tamper with what seems to be a very good technical set up - I wouldn't have a clue where to start either.
I have edited my previous post to eliminate ref to EV to avoid confusion.
I would like to get in touch with the UK user group and if possible a local (100mls or so!) owner who would show me his car/offer advice.
I see you are on your 3rd Insight - is the story really that boring - if you have told it elsewhere I would be pleased to read it - I feel I may be a bit late getting on this band wagon, but better late than never eh.
regards
Clive

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
The Insight is currently the world's most efficient fuel driven production car, looks great and handles very well. You have definitely made the right choice. Good luck hunting. Effectively this Forum is the UK user group, it was through this site that I organised the first UK Insight Owners day last August at the Honda Institute. Hopefully, we will have another this year! :D

I originally fell for the Insight in 2002 when I bought a 1999 silver 5sp Japanese import. After getting jealous of the additional goodies on the UK spec and getting fed up with the attitude of dealerships towards an import, I bought a 2001 UK citrus 5sp (hence the name). People (especially the wife) were not keen on the colour, so when a 2000 red CVT import came up on eBay I bought that - with the idea that my wife could learn to drive in a more simple :wink: automatic. I obviously have sold the silver and citrus Insights.

However, I have had several problems with the red Insight (buyer beware). At present I am down to only three problems: auto-stop stalling, cold start shuddering and IMA battery deterioration. I asked about your EV intentions as I also intend keeping this Insight for an all electric conversion after I have bought the latest hybrid / mileage king, whenever it comes out. I would only feel comfortable selling this Insight if I knew it was going to be converted!

Hopefully a nearby owner will pick up on this thread and offer you a test drive. I regularly search for Insights on sale and they are far and few between. They can be a bit like buses, none for ages then three come along at once! Be prepared to travel...

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Hi imaconvert

Nice to have another UK member.

There is a member of this forum who works at RR in Derby - he might be willing to show you his Insight.

I used to live in Wollaton and work in Derby (at RR). I occasionally go shopping in Nottingham and occasionally do work at RR (I was going down nearly every week last summer)

Regards

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Jack & Smoothie (& Peter),
Already had a PM (from Peter) offering help.
I have had a reply from Honda UK advising :-

"Thank-you for your recent e mail - I will pop a copy of the Insight
brochure into the post to you. So you are aware the Honda Insight is no
longer in production in the UK, so there will be no new 06 versions of this
vehicle; Honda are launching a new Civic Hybrid car in March 2006 which maybe of interest to you."

Their web site today advises Civic Hybrid prices available 6th Jan !

I am not in the market for a new Civic or Insight but hope that a used Insight becomes available at a Honda dealer (with warranty etc.) from someone upgrading to a Civic!
Will keep viewing the posts & advise when something materialises.
Now to get some more Insurance quotes $$$
Clive

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
imaconvert - an Insight has appeared at Browns Honda in Loughton, Essex. Only 25,000 miles but a bit pricey at £7,495 for a Y Reg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Citrus Smoothie,
Thanks for the info, had a look on their web site - like the colour but not the price.
Having read various reports I was under the impression that "the Insight is a far better used proposition than new" - and I thought I would be able to get a good one for under £6000
Yahoo review (Feb 2004) 2000 - 2004 saying a 2000 X plate retailing at about £8000
Reuters 28 Dec 2005 quoting residual values at 23% of list price retained after 3 yrs/36,000mls (= £4000 on £17225 !!!) - pity they don't say where the cars are !
Have the 2nd hand prices risen lately or are the Honda dealer prices way up ?
Could anyone pass on some experience on typical values found during their searches ?
Thanks
Clive

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holding it's price.

Clive

I think you will be very lucky to find a cheap Insight.

The one for sale is low mileage and seems reasonable to me. I would consider buying it for the wife if it was nearer.

They hold their price well, are very rare, there are only 257 in the UK!, and only 70 of those are UK spec, the current high cost of fuel is definately also focusing peoples attention on the subject of consumption!

Peter

·
Registered
88 Posts
and, of course, you would have a rare, collector, and exotic car too!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts