Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Bought my G1 insight a few weeks ago, I've finally gotten all the safeties done and it's a pleasure to drive. Costco was out of RE92s so I have Pirelli P4 P175/65/R14s. Right now thinking of R13 VX rims for winter because that is the cheapest way to get aluminium rims for it.
What sort of things are best to look at for "fixing up" the insight? It drives well (although it's my first car so I don't have much to go on) but the AC compressor is very audible and the engine makes a bit more rattle than I would expect. I know I need to change the oil as soon as possible.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I think there's a couple 'new buyer' threads lurking about, maybe stickied, with suggestions on what to do, lists of mods, etc... If it were me I'd be doing all the maintenance items first, like oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluids, maybe belt, hoses - stuff like that. Then I'd tackle the common gremlins - like 'wet seatbelt leak', 12V system grounds, rear motor mount. Then I'd tackle appearance items, such as washing the seat covers, polishing the headlight lenses, buffing and waxing the exterior, '303 aerospace protectant' (or maybe it's 707, can't remember) on all the plastics...

I had Pirelli P4s on my Insight, when I first got it. You didn't just buy those new, did you? They're great tires, but they're way heavy and really suck on the Insight... I bought those new and then weeks later traded them for RE92s, Discount Tire was really good about that. I just told them that they really sucked and killed the fuel economy, which was all true. They pretty much traded them straight across for the RE92s...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's your experience with the RE92s in canada? My friend is concerned about using them when it gets at all cold. I do plan on having separate winters. Costco did not have the RE92s in stock but now they do, I could return the P4s.
I think I have a cracked engine mount since reverse gear is very shakey.

·
Registered
511 Posts
RE92s for the summer, and Nokian winter tires for the winter. All seasons are no good on a small car like this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which nokian winter tires are those? All the ones I can find on their website that are listed as winter tires are studded.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Willie

·
Registered
511 Posts
Which nokian winter tires are those? All the ones I can find on their website that are listed as winter tires are studded.
Nokian Hakkapeliittas are supposedly the best. They don't come as the Insight's stock size anymore (165/65R14) but their 175/65R14s seem to be the best for FE. Nokian Nordmans are also good, although someone said they aren't rated low rolling resistance? Going based off what I was told here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nokian Hakkapeliittas are supposedly the best. They don't come as the Insight's stock size anymore (165/65R14) but their 175/65R14s seem to be the best for FE. Nokian Nordmans are also good, although someone said they aren't rated low rolling resistance? Going based off what I was told
I have the same problem. I have a set of steel 14 inch rims and the ability to purchase a set of aluminium VX rims for $50.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
What's your experience with the RE92s in canada? My friend is concerned about using them when it gets at all cold. I do plan on having separate winters. Costco did not have the RE92s in stock but now they do, I could return the P4s.
I think I have a cracked engine mount since reverse gear is very shakey.
I have a Canadian car but I'm not in Canada, haven't driven with RE92s in very cold temps, or snow. When I had P4s on two other cars I thought they worked great in the snow. But, if you're at all interested in getting separate winter tires I'd do that and trade the P4s back in for RE92s...

Reverse gear being shakey = definitely bad mount. Although, even with a new one it's not that great either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm 100% for sure getting winters so I ordered the RE92s. I figjred I would always feel like I'm missing out if I didn't at least see what they're like.
For winters Dunlop Winter Maxx in R13 woulf be $330 cheaper than nokians, that's a lot of gas so I think I will go with those, at least until I can find a second set of OEM rims. Also considering Kumho Solus HA31s
Thanks! I'm going to look at repairing that soon, after the oil change and such.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got RE92s on the car - what a difference! After plowing for the first ~150km, they got more bedded in and I've improved my fuel economy from ~4.6l/100 to better than 3.8! Man these tires are awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts