Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just bought a 2010 Insight EX last week and am trying to find out more about it. Did it take everyone one else a little while to get used to the brakes on the Insight? They feel just a little bit jerky. I used to drive a corolla and those brakes just felt very natural to me. I'm not sure if i'm just being a baby or if the brakes actually feel different on a hybrid.
Also, I live in Texas and the triple degree temps make it difficult when the AC turns off with auto stop. I know that putting the car in S mode turns off the auto stop but does that impact any of the other car functions?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new buy, when it is hot and you want to keep the AC running just make sure you leave the ECON off. The engine will keep running to keep the AC working but when it is that hot out it is worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome

I seem to get higher mpg with the eco off if I'm in rush hour traffic. But my wife hates when I turn it off and will yell at me if the flower goes away.

I used to have a Toyota Matrix, then switched to an 09 Civic, and noticed a big difference in braking also, might have something to do with size or quality?

Either way, you'll see about as many problems as a normal corolla, none.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
As has been talked about, mileage be damned when it's really hot. I only use S when I am sitting in bumper to bumper traffic or driving light to light in the city. Otherwise, just turning the ECO off will change the way the A/C operates. Also, if you have never had an auto climate control before, turning the temp all the way to low will and manually adjusting the fan speed will mimic old school control. The auto function will not blow hard on a hot day starting out until it knows there is cool air to be had. Sometimes the sensor that measures temp does not reflect how hot it really is. (like if you have parked in the shade or garage) You just have to take control.

The Insight has regenerative braking. You can learn to make it work smoother. Try using a very light touch just to start the regen process and let the IMA system slow down the car. It's free energy and will make the front pads last a really long time. Our Insight was just in for a 50k service and they could not believe how much pad was left. They estimate they could last to 80k or more. There is a learning curve to driving hybrids.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Sounds like you are like me and rather anal about your brakes. I didnt like the way mines felt and bleed the whole system and dug out my old brake spoon to snug up the rear drums.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
It's also getting on time to replace the brake fluid in 2010s. The factory recommendation is three years regardless of miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help, everyone! I drove normally this morning with the eco button off and auto stop never enabled so i'm happy with it.
I believe the brake fluid was checked when we bought the car last week. does it still need to be replaced?
it just feels like the car doesn't slow down enough when i'm gently pressing on the brake so i'm forced to come to a jerky stop when i get too close to another car. however, when i press more firmly on the brake, the car stops sooner than i want it to. i'm sure i just need time to get adjusted to it but it just feels very unnatural to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The brake fluid was checked and met honda standards when the inspection was done less than a week ago but it was not replaced. Should I be calling the dealership to see if they can do something about it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a certified 2010 EX from a Honda dealership with 40k miles on it. We had everything checked before buying the car so I want to say that maybe I'm just having trouble adjusting to the braking system and its not an actual car issue. I'm going to have a few other people drive it to see how they feel and then call the dealership if I need to. Other than the braking issues, the car is perfect!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am a new owner as well, so I more than likely speaking straight out of my posterior. As has been said, the brakes in this car are more than normal brakes. The electric motor that is attached to the engine also works as a generator to charge the batteries. The jerkiness that you are feeling most likely has something to do with the way that the car is alternating between the traditional friction brakes and the drag induced by the electric generator.

If this is a used vehicle, perhaps the computer is used to another persons braking style. I know there is a method to reset the CVT if it is acting jerkily.

My intuition says to find the code for the stereo and then disconnect the battery for a period time resetting the computer so it can learn your driving style instead of the previous owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another newbie to hybrid brakes

I've had my 2011 Insight for 5 weeks now and still haven't mastered braking. It feels like there's much more forward momentum than with my 2000 Civic. Have wondered if battery, etc make the Insight heavier than comparable-sized non-hybrid.

Appreciate suggestions offered by other members.

Brakes aside, I love-love-LOVE this car!!!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
This insight is a heavy car, about 3 thousand lbs. Sounds like you need to adjust the rears and bleed all 4. I am rather anal about my brakes and have them nice and tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up my 2011 EX yesterday and have been trying to adjust to the "odd" breaking myself. I just chalked it up to #1) being a hybrid & #2) not being my '98 Corolla.

I've always been a bit of a "granny" behind the wheel though and leave more then enough room between myself and what's ahead of me, giving myself plenty of time to ease into my stops. I have noticed a couple of forced/hard stops from the car though and just assumed I haven't mastered the hybrid stop yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts