Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everbody. I'm new to this site and I don't know I I'm doing this right so please be nice to me. I just got my 2005 honda insight 5 days ago. So far loving it.the owner before me was putting on about 48mpg on it.
Since then I have got it up to 56.
Now for some questions.i really want to see about doing aerodynamics on this thing. I was thinking about one of those front spoilers on it. And side skirts. I moon hub caps. I want to use the very best sparks plugs. Money is no object .
And I would like to get a grid charger installed. Any recommendations?.
And would taking out the stick lights and adding Led help???
Thank you ..ps it's a cvt

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The Insight is very aerodynamic by design, less drag than Lance Armstrong on a bicycle. It will be hard to improve, but can be done. Look for the posts on under paneling and airplane tails.

As far as the Grid charger, I am biased as I make and sell them, but it is a very wise investment. The sooner you start using one the more your battery will benefit.

P.S. Please add your location to your profile. There are some on this forum that will give you a hard time if you don't :)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, read read read!!! Lots to learn, lots of great minds to provide help and Insight... pun intended! Have fun driving the car and trying to better your MPG record.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grid charger

Welcome to the forum. The Insight is very aerodynamic by design, less drag than Lance Armstrong on a bicycle. It will be hard to improve, but can be done. Look for the posts on under paneling and airplane tails.

As far as the Grid charger, I am biased as I make and sell them, but it is a very wise investment. The sooner you start using one the more your battery will benefit.

P.S. Please add your location to your profile. There are some on this forum that will give you a hard time if you don't :)
Are you the guy that was selling the citrus insight with the grid charger on ebay????

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Are you the guy that was selling the citrus insight with the grid charger on ebay????
No way man ;-) I love my Insight. Hopefully it will outlive me lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grid charger

As far as the Grid charger, I am biased as I make and sell them, but it is a very wise investment. The sooner you start using one the more your battery

My friend is a mechanic. He says I should not change the cvt fluid on the honda insight. What is your take on that. And what kind of fluid should I use.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I've been on here about a month or so..
Just purchased my first insight.

So far its a great bunch of people..I haven't seen the typical squabbles that you might see on other forums!
There is definitely a great knowledge base here of information, the car is well understood by folks on here.. it will be invaluable during your ownership.

Regarding the CVT, while I don't have any maintenance experience with them, others will chime in.. typically in an automatic its the heat that kills the automatics.
In typical automatics, change that automatic fluid every 30K miles.
Go synthetic if you can, but I suspect in this specific car it wouldn't surprise me if the recommendation is to put authentic honda fluids in it - but again I don't have much wisdom on this car yet and I am in a 5 spd.

I think you'll love the car. It has a really low total cost of ownership.
A design ahead of its time, probably won't be matched in terms of MPG for quite some time or maybe never if the market moves towards EV's like it appears to be moving towards.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
My friend is a mechanic. He says I should not change the cvt fluid on the honda insight. What is your take on that. And what kind of fluid should I use.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum.

If you want the transmission to last you need to change the fluid. When you check the fluid on the dip stick, it should look a little like cooking oil with a yellowish/light pinkish color. If its dirty, dark or smells burnt its been too long, change it and then put it at a normal service interval. If you do a drain and fill it takes about 3.5 - 4 quarts of fluid, use Honda specific CVT fluid, it about 8-10 dollars a quart.
If you want to do the complete service and drop the pan there are 5 parts necessary to order from Honda. The parts are a pan gasket, 2 o-rings, a strainer and a filter, the parts a close to $100.00. Also, it now takes 4.5 quarts.

If you don't service the transmission you end up with high pressure gritty oil that is not lubricating, but causing other parts to wear faster.

I service them them about once a year depending on mileage. I do a drain and fill a couple times and then about the 3rd time do the full service. I did a drain and fill on mine the other day and the drain plug magnet was clean.

Parts only:
Drain & fill. $35.00-40.00
Filters & fill $150.00ish
Parts & labor:
Rebuilt CVT $2000.00-3000.00

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts