Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would drop a note to all of you as you played a key role (wihout knowing it) in my decision to purchase an Insight.

My current ride is a 2000 Ford Excursion V-10. After spending over $600 last month (California gas prices) I decided to do something I almost did in 2000, buy and Insight.

After spending much of the last couple of weeks reading the different posts, my driving habits in the Excursion have changed and my milage has increased from 11.1 to 15.2, that is huge! Thanks a bunch.

Starting next week I will be commuting (50 miles a day RT) in a '03 CVT, and we are looking forward to it.

We are keeping the Excursion as we spend our summers boating on the Sacramento River and winters snowmobiling in the Sierra's, so it has it's place.

Our other cars are a 03 Jaguar S-type "R" and a 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport (pull behind the motorhome). We also race offshore powerboats if any of you have any interest in that sport.

Best wishes and thank you for your help,
Rick

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
ryoung99 said:
After spending much of the last couple of weeks reading the different posts, my driving habits in the Excursion have changed and my milage has increased from 11.1 to 15.2, that is huge! Thanks a bunch.
I have often wondered why more cars don't show MPG readouts like the Insight... it is such a good teacher of fuel-conserving driving.

Enjoy your new Insight!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Wow, what a contrast! Going from 15.2 to whatever you get in the Insight will definitely leave you smiling at the gas pump! I think you have made a great choice. Save the Excursion for when you need it and use the commuter car for commuting.

·
Registered
700 Posts
WoooHOOO!

Another SUV parked, and used when actually needed! Thanks.

Have fun in the Insight!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm not sure how exactly pickup trucks and other larger vehicle turned into commuter vehicles in the first place? Good marketing I suppose.
I remember being on jobsites where the idea of having leather seating in your pickup would have been laughed at, but today it is a highly prized option.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi ryoung99-

Welcome!!! It is nice to hear we made a difference. It would be nice to hearing from you even if your news only concerned your Excursion. Personally I think the Ford and the Honda are very compatible, allowing each of them to be used for what they do best

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thaks for the welcome.

Granted this move was along time coming and we are thrilled with the car.

My life is all about challenges. Seeing how I can improve the LMPG on this car is the new one.

To be honest I have been amazed over the past week, how slowing down to 55 during my commute (in traffic) has helped and I am still getting to work about the same time.

I just took a new position with my company which will see me commute to Walnut Creek and/or SF twice a week, which should give me plenty of open road to practice my skills and get the MPG pretty high without slowing traffic.

One question, the car we purchased had replaced the Bridgestone tires with Dunlops and still has a LMPG of 54, I have the Stones and they are "brand new" any thoughts on the effect changing the tires might have?

The previous owner did not like the OEM tires and felt they were not stable on the roads he drove with rain grooves, any thoughts?

I have a funny feeling the wife is going to want one of these after a few months as well. The only thing left to do is put in my Sirius radio.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
804 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Does the Sirus radio antenna have a magnetic mount? the roof is aluminum so someone needs a solution. I considered XM radio. Might do it later.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi ryoung99-

I have not tried the other tires, but I can attest to rain grooves keeping you on your toes with the OEMs. I think it is a mater of personal driving style. I doubt that your mpg suffers too much from the Dunlops. Personally I would not want to spend the money on something that you may not like and might not make more than1-2mpg difference overall.

Let me know if you want to get together some time when you are in the Bay Area. We could take a drive and trade cars. We’ve got some rain groves around here.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ryoung99 said:
Thaks for the welcome.

One question, the car we purchased had replaced the Bridgestone tires with Dunlops and still has a LMPG of 54, I have the Stones and they are "brand new" any thoughts on the effect changing the tires might have?

The previous owner did not like the OEM tires and felt they were not stable on the roads he drove with rain grooves, any thoughts?

I have a funny feeling the wife is going to want one of these after a few months as well. The only thing left to do is put in my Sirius radio.

Thanks,
Rick
That's pretty respectable mpg's for a CVT. Make sure they are inflated properly. Which model are they?

You can try your satellite antenna IN the car, on the dash, if it is one of the newer "mini" ones. I know they say don't do it, but I'm a rebel and did it anyway to see if it worked. Worked fine, no dropouts, etc. It's XM, though. Sirius satellite positions may be different, don't know.

That Jag is a sweet ride. (at least it seems it would be, I can dream) :wink:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Use the tires your used Insight came with for a few years or until they wear out.
Believe me you will hate the OEM tires.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Six in one half a dozen in the other

If your first goal is mpg, and your second goal is mpg, and your third goal is mpg, ... put back on the OEMs before you drive another inch.

As has been well documented, the OEMs give the best mpg of all, but they have the tramlining and traction issues which you will have to tolerate.

It is really personal preference more than anything else, as the OEMs won't make you wreck up if you drive intelligently.

If you are happy with the drive experience with the tires on her now, then I would stick with them until they wear out. At that time you can test the OEMs. You have both, you'll likely want to wear them both so you might as well start with the ones you have on currently.

I have driven both (GFs insight still has stock) and when I drive the OEMs I love the mpg, and I kind of long for the traction and performance of the Yokohamas. When I drive the Yokohamas I love the feel, and I long for the OEM mpg.

In short, I think they are both great options since I like both for their own merits. I am lucky enough to be able to drive both any time I like.

Perhaps the way to look at it is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'!

p.s. I have OEMs on GFs and Yokohama AVS E100s 185/60 on mine. I drive both cars about equally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts