Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a brand new red 2005 Insight and am currently trying to learn techniques on how to optimize my LMPG, as well as my trip MPG's.
I could also use help on maintaining speed on slopes. Anyone have some good advice for a driver in training? All advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Lynn; what city are you in? which dealer did you purchase it from? Do you have a 5-spd or CVT? Thanks, Billy...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Practice makes perfect. Keep a close eye on the mileage bar graph (when not in a lot of traffic, to start with). When driving on mostly even ground, try to drive to a set mpg on the graph. Read the fuel efficiency tips on this page: http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/index.html . That should give you a good start.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congratulations on your new Insight. You'll surely grow to love it as much as the rest of us love ours.

On up slopes, my advice is:

0) Don't worry about it too much unless you are having fun trying to optimize mileage. No matter what you do, you'll do better than anyone in a different vehicle.

1) Stay in 5th gear with a light foot on the accelerator as long as you can, at 70-75 mpg or better ("in lean burn"). Let the speed droop as much as you are willing (it helps to approach the hill with a little extra speed).

2) If you have to give it more gas, don't be shy--go ahead and give it plenty. I think it's most efficient at the extreme throttle positions, and worst in the middle. Where people differ on this is how much to use the IMA. Using it too heavily can hurt efficiency and can eventually wear the batteries out faster. I generally aim to have some "assist" bars lit in this situation, but not to max it out at full assist.

3) Next step is to downshift if needed.

4) There no getting around needing to burn a lot of fuel to get up hills. But you'll regain the benefit going back down, unless you have to brake a lot on the way down.

Charlie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Billy;

I'm not sure why you ask, but I am in Walla Walla. I purchased the car from Honda of St. John's in Portland, OR. Insight sure are difficult to find, but they actually have some in stock there in case you know of anyone looking for one. I bought a 5 speed because I heard you can get a little better mileage out of them.

Charlie;

Thanks! I am very excited. Those are some great tips, I can't wait to try them out!

Kapps;

Thanks for the link, it also has some great information!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"...maintaining speed on slopes."

Downshift! The Insight is different from most cars in this. It's very high geared, which is great for high mpg on level roads (since that only requires enough power to overcome air resistance & friction). Going uphill takes more power, and with the small engine the only way to get that power is to run it at higher RPM.

On the bright side, the Insight is perfectly happy in 3rd gear at highway speeds. In fact, there's been a time or two when I've gone a few miles down the freeway before realizing I was still in 3rd :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James,

First of all, thanks for the tips. I know I have a long way to go but with tips from all of you I'm sure I'll learn fast. I noticed my car was high geared the same way you did. I was driving down the freeway and never even noticed I was still in 3rd gear. I have since tried downshifting on hills as well and it has really helped. My trip mpgs have been about 72. I hope to get better with practice. Thanks again! Lynn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts