Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Insight that I have owned for 3 days. I'm glad to join "the club" of Insight owners. I'm wondering how many have been sold over the past 5 years. So far, I haven't seen another one on the road in my area. Now I'm wondering why I took so long to buy a hybrid.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Congratulations, I am envious. Which did you get? 5sp or CVT, colour etc?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
getting adjusted to new insight

I have a 5 speed and it is dark blue. So far I'm having a great time playing with the MPG's, but I'm afraid I'll become too obsessed about it.
It is so much fun to see that at times I am getting 100 - 150 MPG, but I think I'm averaging about 60 - 65 so far. I'm trying to get accustomed to shifting the gears properly and driving it efficiently without being overly concerned about it. In a way, I feel like I'm learning to drive all over again. I only have about 130 miles on it so far.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: getting adjusted to new insight

Sherrisue said:
... but I'm afraid I'll become too obsessed about it.
Hi Sherrisue and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Be obsessed. ;)

After a while it will become to feel "normal" and your new found MPG skills won't require your constant attention. But it can slip away easily... Be obsessed. :p

According to AHM total Insight sales as reported in this link are 12,498

http://hondanews.com/CatID1007?mid=2003 ... 9&mime=asc

Although the total is much greater than the sum of the figures. So either theirs some further updating that needs to be done or you'll need to navigate to the monthly figures as published on the same site and add then up for yourself.

But this number for the US market sounds about right. Add a few thousand more for a world wide figure.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
14.000 may not sound like much but it is about 10 times the number of EV1s that were built by GM, and we don't have to give them back!

You may wonder why it took you so long to buy one, but at least you did. I wonder why everyone doesn't want one! Tough days are coming when most people will be asking themselves this question. Non hybrids are soooo last century. :D No matter what fuel source or engine design cars use in the future, hybrids will always win in terms of efficiency.

People ask me what kind of mileage I get. These days they are more inclined to believe me, but they also seem a little quiet and more thoughtful. I think the light is going on that the cheap gasoline party is over.

Welcome to the club. ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
People ask me what kind of mileage I get. These days they are more inclined to believe me, but they also seem a little quiet and more thoughtful. I think the light is going on that the cheap gasoline party is over.

)

That "quiet" you speak of, I experience that to when asked about the kind of milage I'm getting with my CVT; a.k.a. the "Silver Bullet".

Fred

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naysayers

I'll have to admit, I feel pretty smart about making this purchase. My brother-in-law, who drives a Cadillac Escalade says I'm being "too practical." Is that not the craziest thing you've ever heard? That type of old fashioned, archaic thought just verifies my confidence in my purchase.......and the communication and support between Insight owners is so inspiring. My father doesn't believe that I'm really getting 65 MPG's after only 3 days of driving my car. (I can tell I will improve with time). That's OK.......I'll pass by the gas station when he and my brother-in-law are in line with their billfolds out.... 8)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I haven't seen another one on the road in my area.
. . . and you probably won't. If I'm not mistaken only fourteen or fifteen thousand of these little cars have been sold todate in the US.

. . . but do expect to be asked a lot of questions about it whenever you park it.

WELCOME to "the club" and best of luck with your Insight. You may not fully appreciate it yet but you have bought a rather good machine and in addition to the gas savings, the little beastie is fun to drive!

Fred

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sherriesue,

I bought a MT silver 2006 Insight a few months before you did, and I love my car. People don't believe me when I tell them my MPG, or they'll scoff and tell me that the car has no power. The insight is by no means a powerful car, but it's great for what I need, and I don't need to race around the freeway and endanger lives along the way, so this car is perfect for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts