Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will take delivery on a Silver 05 Insight CVT Monday night. We are pumped. It took two dealers, 3 weeks and a $3000 deposit to get it. Here in Va. Getting or even seeing an Insight is tough.

In reading this board and I see several things I need to do. So could you give some suggestions?

Floor mats. My salesman was shocked that the car does not come with them. Wife and I prefer rubber. What is available? Does any one have experience with “Weathertech”? Are there better options? In the same vein is there a non-Honda rear floor mat?

Are the speakers really that bad?

Has anyone treated the seats with fabric protector? This will be my first non-leather vehicle in some time. I used to buy a 3M-fabric spray and hit all the surfaces. What do you think?

Dead pedal. The link to Sandusky Bay Metals does not work. Where else?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would rather have the rubber floor mats. If you like the carpet mats that Honda has it is better to buy them on line than pay the cost for the option. Mine is 5 years old and they grey interior doesn't show much in the ways of stains but can't comment on the lighter interior used now. Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There have been multiple threads on floor mats, I'd recomend using the forum search feature. Most "rubber" type can easily be trimmed for the desired fit, so I don't think that a specific brand or type is much of an issue. :)

Speakers depend of what's remaining of your ears. <g> There is a noticable sound quality improvement with better speakers. However, the head unit isn't audiophile quality either, so depending on your ears you may want a complete sound upgrade.

Use seat covers myself, but the Scotch fabric protector is good stuff. Won't prevent the eventuall "fuzzing" of this style of fabric.

Dead pedals can be a simple as no slip stickey back "sandpaper" style, trimmed to fit. If you want something more of an artistic statement then one reliable member here gets them made in limited quantity production runs. Check this link:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2746

HTH! :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm envious about your new car. I hope it meets all your expectations and then some.

Check the Buy/Sell section and look under footrest. Jim Holmgren may still have some, or you can get on the list for the next generation. My 2000 had some aftermarket speakers installed when I got it, so I can't speak to how bad they are, but mine sure sounds good.

My experience with scotch guard on seats in the past was that it attracted a lot of lint. My seats show virtually no wear or stains, but the car was immaculate when I bought it a few months ago with 32K miles.

Robert

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Jane has the Honda Insight floor mats, which are nice and came with her.

Edwin has some super lightweight 'mats' from the Dodge dealer who put in the clear plastic super thin protective covering quasi-mats which I never took out. He also had some thick and heavy non-OEM mats, which I am not using.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I use thin grey rubber floor mats that were designed for a truck. Got them at Canadian Tire. I live in the country and track in a lot of sand that I can just pour off the mat. I cleaned the OEM carpet this spring with a little water on a toothbrush and a vacuum and used a little rubbing alcohol on anything that didn't come off otherwise. This removed any salt dirt or oily smudges from areas that were not covered by the mats. The carpets look new like they did 2 years ago and this technique did not leave any soap residue.

The wizzer cone OEM speakers are crap. The restrictive "butter dish" enclosures behind them in the doors make them sound way worse still. The OEM head unit is underpowered but actually not bad. I made custom aluminum plates and put in some 4.5 inch long throw woofers with Dolly Parton sized magnets. I carefully cut out the butter dish to open up the back side. This was way too much work but I had the speakers lying around and they sound good now.

If you hav e rivets or velcro fasteners on your clothing you can kiss your seats goodby. :D I have a strict dress code for my car and the seats are holding up just fine. The fabric breathes nicely and is actually quite comfortable. Someday, someday, I'll get leather seats and a turbo kit. I would NOT spray anything on the seats. I don't think it will do any good and you might just damage the foam underneath from solvent or oil in the spray as the spray will go straight through the covering.

Enjoy your new Insight. People here are always thinking up cool mods for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts