Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I picked up an 02 Insight CVT a few months ago in San Diego prior to moving back to Oregon. Seems to be doing well; it has 160k miles and had the battery replaced at 115k by Honda. Mileage is only okay, in combined city/highway driving I get about 48. I'm not a hypermiler but I hope to get better than that. I am still going through all the service work that the last owner had done. I suspect that it was just maintained at Honda but not really kept as fresh as possible. First is to check on the spark plugs and EGR valve, as soon as I get free space in the garage.

Some mods I hope to make are cruise control and new rear springs & shocks. Oregon roads are not full of potholes but the studded snow tires really wear rough grooves into the surface, so a bit more insulation from the road would help.

At any rate, the car has been great so far. Really enjoying it!

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. Wrong tires will hurt mpg quicker than about anything. You need the OEM Bridgestone RE92 for best fuel economy. Vrederstein also makes a tire that is getting good reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I do have the RE92's. They are currently inflated to 38/35 per the door sticker.

Quick question about the spark plugs. I read all the threads about aligning them, but it all seemed to apply to lean burn engines. As mine is a CVT, is plug alignment that important?

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
You can increase mileage by increasing your tire pressure. I run 55 lbs. The ride will be more harsh.

You will get various opinions on the spark plugs. They last 100,000 miles, so, IMO, the extra expense of the factory plugs is worth it.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
Cold/cold weather also badly hurts mpg. If you google search you will find some threads.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts