Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally started to go at 230,000 miles. The intake manifold was cracked, the oil pan was cracked, an engine mount was broken, a CV boot had a hole, the transmission was grinding in 1st and 2nd and the clutch was ready to be redone.

A new engine would've been $6,700 but I found an engine $650 and a 5 speed transmission $600 in a Crystal River junkyard. $2100 labor, and I am back to getting 55 to 65mpg, which is good for Florida driving!
The eninge and transmission had 48k miles, so I ought to get another 3 years out of this baby! Thanks to all who helped me with the problems I was having. That intake manifold turned out to be the key $650 for a new one or a whole engine for $650 hmmm?!? Easy choice and I'm beaming again!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Great shopping! The old engine may prove usefull for parts as well. :wink:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congrats on your sucessful engine change. To my knowledge you are the first one to do this. Did you remove the entire intake as I suggested to get it really cleaned out and noticed the crack or did you remove the entire engine and notice it then? Any idea how in how in the world the oil pan got cracked.?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Now THAT is a story with a happy ending.

With the swap, will your mileage / lmpg stay the same or have you reset them? Though it doesn't matter either way, I'm just curious.

I dread the day when my little Astro faces the end of its normal life....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mileage reset

It actually reset itself right around 217k miles

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done!

What year was the replacement engine, and did you have to account for any minor differences?

·
Registered
89 Posts
You got ripped off in a very huge way.

You got ripped off in a very huge way in labor cost. $2,100 for what is probably at most a 12 hour job. That's $175/hr. labor.

Recently I paid a local mechanic ~$550 in labor to do a swap in my '94 Mazda MX-3. Granted I did get it done at a very good price, but you surely could've had the job done for less than half of what you paid.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: You got ripped off in a very huge way.

Mitch said:
You got ripped off in a very huge way in labor cost. $2,100 for what is probably at most a 12 hour job. That's $175/hr. labor.

Recently I paid a local mechanic ~$550 in labor to do a swap in my '94 Mazda MX-3. Granted I did get it done at a very good price, but you surely could've had the job done for less than half of what you paid.
Mitch - that was an uplifting, positive, make you feel better post. We can't all get bargains all the time. Sometimes we just have to pay through the nose for things we need to get done, and things still work out all right. That was a tenth of what Dan would have paid for a new Insight - I'm sure he's happy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jim, I hope my post was positive and uplifting to other Insight owners out there, who after reading the original post, perhaps had the impression(which may have then stayed in their mind for a long time) that it should normally cost $2,100 for labor to do a straight swap.

I wasn't suggesting that we should and can get bargains all the time, such as paying $550 for this job. I did point out that this job should have been done for half the price, or less, which would be $1,050. I do believe that a $1,050 overcharge is significant, and thus I think it's worth pointing out the fair value, irregardless of whether the person who got ripped off is satisfied or not.

You said "sometimes we just have to pay through the nose for things we need to get done". There's perhaps truth to that regarding an engine swap if your options for mechanics are extremely limited, such as if one lives in a small isolated town in the middle of nowhere. This is not the case for a metro area of 2.4 million people.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ripped off, but not completly

I also had the clutch rebuilt, a motor mount replaced, a CV boot was ripped. The transmission was also replaced at the same time. Both were 2000 models with 48,000 miles. I'm good at fixing computers, but not so much with cars. It's working now and I'm very happy! I'm still not done, yet. No hints! :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
New Life

Hi dfiore,
Good for you, I'm happy for a happy ending. R&R for our engine is a labor. Check the SM, lots to do, they put the engine in with a shoe horn and you need a lift as the engine comes out the bottom. As you had more done than just an engine replacement the cost may not be too far off. To do the boot they probly had to pop the axle. I was suspect of the intake manifold as it's a plastic type material and could check or crack with age, and your baby deffinately has that. Sounds to me that you've got a reasonably new car for a reasonable price. Mobil 1 Super Syn, 5-30W, every 3K miles, no change in mpg, any filter will do. Bring the oil with you to the dealer, make sure they only put in 2.6 qts. Be sure to change the M/T oil every 30K, start now, the SM is full of crap. Good deal, Jack

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check the SM...full of crap

I hate to sound ignorant, but what is SM? Have you had any breakthroughs with the turbo?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Service manual, I believe...

I agree about the manual tranny fluid. That stuff needs to be changed every 30k as our transmissions don't have great syncros and they will begin to grind (especially in the 1-2 shift). New oil will prevent this from happening sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Trans Oil

Hi Dan,
Kapps is right, for the right reason. And yes, service manual, sorry. On the turbo, the '04's been sold to a fine young gentleman from up north, who I'm sure will care for her. Baby is prepped and pristine, nestled in the garage where she'll stay till he comes for her, in about a week. We'll miss her dearly. The '05 turned out exactly like her, perfect. I've been driving turbo'd insights for awhile now, an extreme thrill each and every time you get behind the wheel, what an unbelievable ride. I'll let you drive my turbo'd Insight next time I see you, it will take your breath away. Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts