Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Proud new owner of a 2000 Honda Insight. I feel I got an amazing deal. Found one In CT with 47,000 miles for $10,989. The car is absolutely immaculate, and had one previous owner and I can tell it was well cared for. I live on Long Island and from the 2 hour drive home from CT I averaged 72.3mpg which I feel is very impressive. I bought a K&N drop in and 9003 Silverstar headlights for the car. So far (one day hehe) I love the car especially going from a 4.3L V8 in my Mercedes C43 AMG. Just wanted to introduce myself. :D

·
Administrator
12,445 Posts
Welcome

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. This forum contains answers to almost all questions relating to the Insight, have a good read through it, you will learn a massive amount, I did :D and use the search feature if you have any issues. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards :)

Peter

·
Registered
495 Posts
New Owner - Welcome

On this end I've never had a lot of cars but I did have a 220 Diesel, a four speed manual and she was as good a car as any I ever owned. Finally sold the "old gal", with five hundred thousand miles on it.

If you like that Insight now, give it a year and odds are you'll like it even more.

Best of luck with it!

Fred (Proud owner of "The Silver Bullet")

·
Registered
323 Posts
YEAH!!!!!! Congrats on your car.

I do love my Insight more than i ever expected. I have had mine for about 13 or 14 months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's only been a few days and I'm in love. What a great car. I thought that it would bother me that the car lacked "luxury" features like my Mercedes, but it really doesn't at all. Even the two speaker stereo I got use to hehe. It's so much fun driving the car and the gauges are my favorite part. It's like a game while driving trying to get the best mpg and to keep the battery as charged as possible etc. Sure gets lots of attention too, everyone stares at me, and I've already had a few people approach me with questions. Last night I installed the Silverstar 9003 bulbs, and its a big improvement. K&N drop in I didn't notice a difference really, but the filter that was in there was dirty. I'll keep you guys updated!

-Jared

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Jared,

Welcome to the forum. I have a 2000 as well. Keep in mind that precut factory holes for rear speakers (as well as speaker connectors) are behind the grey felt in back of the passenger seats. I plan to add 6 1/2 speakers back there. You will have to buy a rear speaker kit in order to mount these speakers back there, but other than that Honda has made it a pretty simple process.

There is some debate in this forum as to whether these rear speakers help much with the sound, especially since they are debatedly muffled by the rear seats, but to me it is worth trying. People have stated that it helps dramatically to not at all.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you use the rear speakers exclusively for bass boost, that is filter out the highs, you should like the result. Some have mouted tiny dome tweeters in the front corners of the side windows. The "butter dish" covers behind the door speakers are there to prevent water damage to the speakers, but they do trash the sound. :cry:

·
Registered
79 Posts
congrats

You have joined a group of folks who are passionate about this little car. I've had mine since June and the excitement still hasn't worn off. It is the car that keeps on giving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: congrats

[mod edit: Removed entire quote in immediate reply, please see the rules]

I love it. Can't get over how much fun it is to drive. It's amazing how roomy the car is on the inside as well. Looking at it from the outside you would never expect the insight interior to feel like a "regular" car. I'm 20 years old by the way probably the youngest insight owner. I feel that with me being young now is my time to save, being that I have no mortgage etc. My biggest expense was gas since I do a lot of traveling from school to work and back and fourth, and I was averaging 50+ miles a day. Well with a 4.3L V8 mercedes I was filling up weekly pretty much. The insight is truly amazing how much money its saving me in gas.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Welcome to the site and the car.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Jared, you may indeed be the youngest, but the young have more to gain by cleaning up the planet.

When I was young 2 seats seemed like the perfect number. ;) Funny thing.....it still does. :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wanted to buy one when they first came out. I got talked into a Civic. I bought one last year and i was 27yo. I thought i was the youngest here, no more! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
heh i just bought mine and brought it home last monday, i'm 22 years old. so you have me beat by 2 years! 2004 5spd manual, with 70k miles on it for 12,000. beautiful blue color, looks great :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Jared,

As a younger Insight owner and enthusiast, you are in good company.

[mod edit]

Justin Fons (who is also an Insight owner) was 16 years old when he participated in the record-setting Insight Marathon, achieving 2254 miles on a single tank of gas.

I'm impressed by your preference for the Insight over the Mercedes. You are ahead of your times.

I was also greatly inspired at the 2006 Altwheels Festival in Boston, MA, by 2 high school students from Duxbury MA, who restored a 70's era electric "Commutacar" and spent $160 of their own money to exhibit it there. (That same Commutacar, driven by Tom and Ray Maliazzi, "Click and Clack" of NPR's "Car Talk" nearly destroyed my electric bicycle, on display at the same event... but that's another story.)

By the time you reach my age, it's likely that the earth will be considerably warmer, but hopefully in "recovery", and the Insight will be a vintage collector's item.
Also, hopefully, you and your fellow early-age Insight owners will be remembered as trendsetters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[mod edit: Removed entire quote in immediate reply, please review the rules, specifically #12]

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really big on helping the environment, and saving money as well. I mean if I have the option to drive the most fuel efficient car in America, why not you know? I love it too, its such a fun car, and really stirs up conversations with people. I tell all my friends / co workers about it and everyone is amazed. Everyone always asks me, "Isn't the Prius better?" I say, "Prius? That's a gas guzzler compared to this." Hehe. Nice again to meet all you guys, hopefully in person at a get together sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The Insight "club" is limited to about 14,000 members worldwide.

The Insight was never promoted and those who have discovered it tend to be more technically savvy, more original thinking and more environmentally conscious than the general population. Did I mention more interesting and fun? :D

Some car commercials imply the latest model will change your life. Based on my own experience and the comments of members, the Insight delivers.

Enjoy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts