Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I just biught a used 2000, Red,5 speed Insight. It is a Honda certified used car with 61,000 miles on it. I only drove it a few times so far. I think that I will really like the little car. But I have a few questions already:
I am not getting gas milage results no where near what I have been reading about on this site. Getting only 49 MPG. The driving so far has been combination 30% city and 70 % hi way. Took 4 small trips so far with a total of only 83 miles. Had AC on,my wife and dog were also with me. Total weight of passangers were at the limit of 400 lbs. My IMA battery indicator was at 1/2 scale when I bought the car. It went to almost dead (2 bars). I took the car for a ride on the inteersatae at 55 mph, windows down, no air. I was able to charge the IMA battery to 80 % after about 30 miles or so. I am assuming that when in a lot of stop and go traffic in cities, the AC drains the IMA battery. Is this normal? Little too hot here in South Carolina lately to drive with no AC running, and with open windows I'm sure it creates wind drag.
Also I would like to know how one can drive the car at lean burn? Is there indications for the lean burn state?If so what does one look for to know that lean burn condition is being had?
How many PSI is used in tires for max mpg? I would sacracfice a soft ride and less road grip for more mpg.
I think once I figure out how to drive the Insight for max mpg, I will do better gas milage.
Thanks for reading my post.
Rick Hatalski on Lake Murray, S.C. :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: New Menber needs advice

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum and the Insight owner's "club".

If you'll spend some time using the search feature you'll likely find the answers you seek. These same questions are frequently asked by new members. There will be several threads with many different viewpoints and styles of explanation. Hopefully you'll fine one that helps shed some light on these issues for you.

To oversimplify the answers:

Pump your tires up to their maximum rated PSI. If their _not_ OEM Bridgestone RE92's then expect a 10+% loss of ultimate MPG ability (sorry).

Find the _lightest_ "gas" pedal pressure that will allow you to _barely_ maintain speed (try 45-55 MPH, the lean burn window is widest at these speeds).

The correct weight oil of 0w-20 or 100% synthetic 5w-30 will have a measurable MPG effect.

Most importantly give yourself some time in learning the feel of this very different driving style.

EDIT:

Found a couple of "lean-burn" links:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2097

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2274

HTH! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,
Thanks for the nice links to the lean burn info. I tried using the search feature and typed in lean burn, but it came back and reported how many topics found on the subject, and returned me to the Gen Discussion page.I suppose I don't know how to use it properly. But I did get the info I needed and will try to put my Insight into lean burn next time out. Will this feature work with the AC on and max load of 400 lbs.? I will be going on a long trip in a few days to Pa. and will have 100% hi way driving for 700 miles. If it's not too hot, maybe I can use less AC, which takes HP off the engine.
On the tires, they are the OEM, and the pressure is at 40 lb. Is it safe to run the tires up to 50 lbs?
I am hoping on the long trip my IMA battery pack will charge to max. So far it is usually between 30 to 50 % with some stop and go driving.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
652 Posts
Rick,

I make the trip from Greenville to DC on a regular basis and normally average in the 90's without AC and around 55 mph during the summer. The AC is not electric like the Prius and thus puts a greater load on the engine. If you limit your speed to less than 60 on your trip to PA then you should be able to average in the high 70's with the AC on and a full load. Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Sorry, the forum search feature takes a bit of practice too (like lean burn) :)

Simply stated the higher the "load" the narrower (and ultimately closed) the lean burn window will be. A/C, passengers, cargo, and _speed_ are all load factors.

Try the headlights on trick to help maintain a "full" IMA SoC (State of Charge)

Is 50 psi safe :?: Well not exactly. You will be using some of the margin of safety that's built in to the tires. Its a huge topic and has been discussed at length in several threads before (sorry don't have the links this time). Basically if your in the wrong place at the wrong time it _may_ make the difference between a near miss and a crunch. Or a blowout or not. The _safest_ type of driving will avoid even being close to those type of predicaments.

With all that said, I inflate to 50 psi.

Please let us know how your "Insightfulness" progresses :!: :D

HTH! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings,
I have my tires overinflated 55 psi which helped my milage nicely. With AC I normaly run it on econ set @ 80, its just as Hot in Southern California. I find that I can still get 60 MPG even with a fair amount of city driving. It does some driving time to get comfortable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
nd4z, plenty of people will give you specifics as to how you can get better mileage, but I thought I'd just pass along what I learned right away having recently purchased an Insight.

While Honda has done an amazing job of finding so many ways to make this car capable of getting unusually high gas mileage, make no mistake, YOU are one of the factors. You have to do your part, if you drive the Insight like an ordinary car, you won't see it's potential exploited.

Maybe you've already figured that out, but just in case, I figured I'd say it.

Have fun.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase, nd4z! It takes some adjustment to get higher mpgs, so don't worry.

If you're already at 40 psi, then that is probably not your problem. I run mine at 50/48 F/R and haven't had any issues, but obiously the tires are much harder than intended at that pressure. The city driving will hurt your mileage and can drain the IMA depending on your driving style and traffic patterns (stop lights, traffic volume, etc.).

Be sure you to set the climate control to a reasonable temperature, the vents to recirculate mode, and the A/C to Econ mode (not regular mode). This will cycle the compressor on/off as needed and be just as comfortable. There are only a couple of problems with Econ mode:
1) The A/C will shut off while you're in idle-stop. This is because, as John pointed out, the compressor is turned by a belt from the engine rather than electrically :cry:
2) The A/C doesn't know when you're climbing a big hill; sometimes the drag on the engine can be annoying if the compressor happens to be on at that time.

As you suspected, running at highway speeds with the windows down adds significant drag; you're better off with A/C in Econ mode for mpg purposes.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"...running at highway speeds with the windows down adds significant drag; you're better off with A/C in Econ mode for mpg purposes."

Not true, in my experience. I suppose it does add drag, but I've never seen a noticable effect. Not the case with running the A/C. Mine only gets used on long trips, when it's hot enough that it's still hot inside with the windows open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts